WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Charley Brown's Mexican Cantina

Charley Brown's Mexican Cantina
Ranked #129 of 10,379 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Bar, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Sukhumvit
Description: Thailand's oldest and best known Mexican restaurant. Inside the small sub soi that houses Cheap Charlies. Use either entrance - opposite Villa or opposite Ambassador Hotel. Please note... 1 We have a Kids' Curfew after 8pm. The restaurant becomes more like a bar and it's not suitable for young children. 2 Last orders for food is 11pm
Bangkok, Thailand
“GOOD FOOD”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

With the untimely closing of the other good Mexican restaurant, Coyote, this has become the place to go for Mexican food in the Sukhumvit area. The food is good, the service is attentive, the prices are reasonable. I had the pork tacos of the hard shell variety and they were tasty. Excellent condiments are on the tables. I didn't have any alcohol but my party seemed to enjoy their pitcher of margaritas immensely! So all in all, this is a good restaurant with good prices and good food.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
CharleyBrowns, Owner at Charley Brown's Mexican Cantina, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Bobobirdiebuddy,

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to write a review for us. And we're happy to have provided you with a new place to get Mexican food.

We were surprised to see Coyotes close - there's normally a rumour or two, but we heard nothing. Although it's sad to see any business close, we're keeping our fingers crossed for some more converts such as yourself.

It's not clear why you didn't try the margaritas, but unless you're a teetotaller, I recommend you give them a go next time - especially the passionfruit ones. (Oh and my sangria is awesome too!)

• Thai first
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Super Mexican Food in Bangkok!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I love Charley Brown's. Their australian beef and spicy shredded chicken are both wonderful and you cannot beat their margarita's and they are reasonably priced for the quality. I will be back as often as I can get over to Sukhumvit Soi 11. I wish they had more seating but have not been away yet. Service is very friendly and attentive, too. I highly recommend it. I would also like to see them have a website with their hours/holidays posted or have a recording on their answering machine. I recently noticed they don't open until 5pm or so on Mondays (when I tried to go there for lunch).

• Visited March 2013
Dear BryJen

Your review was very appreciated - I make sure I show all the staff the reviews, whether positive or negative.

Regarding the website - we actually DO have a website but it is currently down due to a server issue, it should be back up and running soon. In addition we have a Facebook page that is more current as we can update it so easily.

As far as more seating is concerned, we are currently looking for new premises - I just spent the whole day wandering around taking photos of empty shops. We don't really want a characterless franchise, so if/when we open somewhere new, it definitely won't be a carbon copy of Charley Brown's in Sukhumvit Soi 11 - its personality will be dictated by its location.

Recife, PE
“Delicious food, good drinks, attentive service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

We recently had dinner at Charley Brown's and were very pleased with our experience. The service was very friendly and attentive without staff hovering too close for too long; the dishes we ordered very good and reasonably priced; and the drinks very much hit the spot. And the rum and raisin ice cream with real rum for dessert provided for a fitting conclusion. It was a relaxing and enjoyable evening. Recommend booking a table by calling in advance if you are coming on a Friday or Saturday night as it can get busy. We will definitely be back. Several more dishes to try!

Dear Robb

Many thanks for your recent review - we're really pleased you enjoyed yourself so much.

The alcoholic ice creams are a specialty of ours; we have them frozen in a super cold freezer that prevents the alcohol from evaporating. Next time, try the B52, with real Kahlua, Baileys and Cointreau.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Charley
Oslo
“Great good, great service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

We realy want to recoment this restaurant. Great food, exelent service and the prices are pritty good to!
We will come back soon!!! Looking forward to that!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
CharleyBrowns, Owner at Charley Brown's Mexican Cantina, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear Roger

Thank you very much for writing such a nice review.

All of us here at Charley Brown's look forward to seeing you here again one day soon.

Best regards

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing food, service and drinks!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

Went to charley browns last night for dinner with my family and had a very good time. The service was spot on with our glasses always topped up. The staff is very friendly and aims to please. The food was very good and I was particularly happy with the variety considering I am a vegetarian. The margheritas were very good, sweet and strong at the same time. Charley browns is a must visit in Bangkok for some good Mexican food.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
CharleyBrowns, Owner at Charley Brown's Mexican Cantina, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Holok23

Your review is very appreciated - we all like to read about our success stories.

Our menu is very flexible and about 85% of our dishes can be made without meat.

It's great to hear the service was so good - be sure I'll pass on your compliments to the staff.

Look forward to seeing you again.

Charley