“Welcoming and pretty darn good!”

Charley Brown's Mexican Cantina
Ranked #146 of 10,706 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Bar
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Sukhumvit
Description: 1. We have a Kids' Curfew after 8.30pm. The restaurant becomes more like a bar and it's not suitable for young children. 2. Last orders for food is 11pm
USA
“Welcoming and pretty darn good!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

I live in a country that does not understand Mexican. Period. It is one of the first things I want when I go back to North America each year. On arriving in Bangkok, having been before, I was looking forward to sating myself with Thai food. That endeavor is well under way, but I also stumbled upon Charley Brown's as I was wandering about. I was a bit leary at first.... Mexican, in Sukhumvit? I decided to give it a shot, and was not disappointed. While perhaps not as flavorful as I might desire, the flavors were good and it was a remarkably pleasant meal. The servers are great, the atmosphere is very relaxed. I'd go back, and probably will before leaving. Good "street food" options such as tacos, etc. Did not have the more substantial dishes so cannot comment. Beef was well seasoned. Pork and chicken less so.

• Visited December 2012
CharleyBrowns, Owner at Charley Brown's Mexican Cantina, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear Neener

Thanks for writing a review of the restaurant - I can't tell you how many times I've heard your story... expecting the worst and being pleasantly surprised.

I'm not sure which dishes you had - the shredded chicken and beef are both seasoned to the same recipe. The pork is marinated in lime, coriander and chilli (it's a more delicate flavour, which I personally love). I hope you get a chance to try the chicken wings - we can do every spice level from bland-and-boring to close-to-lethal!

I recommend coming with a decent appetite and trying some of the main dishes - the fajitas are fantastic!

Charley

• Korean first
  • Thai first
“Very nice mexican dishes ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

This is my first experience having mexican dishes and here is very nice meal. Like it very much..

Tried the Charley Brown Platter and the portion is enough for two.. Fantastic.. :)

The margaritas is lovely... :)

CharleyBrowns, Owner at Charley Brown's Mexican Cantina, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear SweetieRM

Many thanks for your review. We're pleased we were able to take your Mexican food virginity so gently.

Please come back and try some more dishes - feel free to ask me for advice or take a look at our new digital menu which is designed to help people choose the perfect meal for their tastes.

Charley Brown.
Chicago, Illinois
“Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

I sat at the bar admiring the impressionist artwork of famous Mexican actors, and the the tee-shirts they sell for 250 baht. The waitress Phan was a cutie, and the Fish Tacos exceeded my expectations. The best thing about the place is that it is on a back alley from Soi 11, and the vibe transforms into relaxed creativity.

• Visited December 2012
Dear enfp66

Thanks for writing a review for us. I first got interested in Mexican food in your part of the world - cooking in my friends' basement in Cicero.

We're glad you enjoyed the food, decor and T-shirts (they've become very popular).

Your server was Fon (she remembers serving you) really IS a cutie and we're very happy she has stayed with us so long - six years next month. She was thrilled to see your review, especially since her colleague, Ice, has had two reviews.

We look forward to your next visit.

Charley Brown
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
“An Oasis in a Sea of Chaos!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

I've been eating at Charley Brown's for years. Before I lived here, I would often order a plate of Nachos while sitting around the corner at Cheap Charlies. I'm not sure if they still offer the service, but in those days, they offered delivery to you at the bar.

At any rate, it had been quite some time since I visited Charley Brown's. I attempted to find the menu online, but I found the website was gone. I found all of these reviews here, so I decided to write one myself. My pregnant girlfriend (Thai) and I made our way down to the restaurant last Sunday night.

Walking in, I immediately noticed that the decor had changed since my last visit. I found it to be tastefully decorated. It's neither too bright nor too dim. I found the lighting to be just right for a cozy meal. All to often in Thailand, bright florescent lighting can really be an atmosphere killer. This is not the case at Charley Brown's.

The seating is fine. We requested to sit at a booth when we arrived, but we were redirected to a table with two chairs. That's fine for me, but the pregnant woman would have appreciated the padded booth. Nonetheless, that's not a big deal.

Our server greeted us promptly. I had read about a waiter named Ice here. After talking with him a bit, I realized that this guy was exceptionally service oriented. I asked if he was Ice. In fact it was! He was very happy to hear that his reputation for excellent service was on the internet and people are actually taking notice.

I ordered a standard Margarita on the rocks. It did not disappoint. At 150 baht, I was hoping for a good one. That's exactly what I got. It was a delicious drink, and I couldn't leave the restaurant without having a second one. The woman had an iced tea, so there isn't much to comment on there. It was an iced tea! I thought it a tad expensive at 85 baht though.

The time to order came, and my partner didn't really know what she wanted. She has seen me eat plenty of nachos over the years, so she went with the nachos. She could only finish half. I had a few myself. They were cooked just the way I remember. They were fantastic. I can't recall the exact price but it was just under 200 baht for the beef variety. I think this was an excellent value considering the quality was superb and the quantity was enough to satisfy almost any human being! I highly recommend the nachos!

Since the woman was going for the nachos, I had to try something new. I opted to order 3 tacos. I ordered one beef and two pork tacos. My only complaint is that I specifically asked if the pork was shredded before ordering. Ice confirmed that it was shredded pork, but it wasn't when it arrived. My preference is for shredded pork when it comes to tacos. I ate the beef taco first. It was seasoned perfectly. With a touch of hot sauce, it went down nicely with my drink. Despite the pork not being shredded, I found the pork to be tender and seasoned very well. I had nothing to complain about, and my plate was empty very quickly. They weren't skimpy with the cheese which made the tacos that much better. The presentation was great, and I could have easily thought I was at a Tex-Mex restaurant in the states. The tacos were fantastic, and I wholeheartedly recommend them as well.

The owner was present at the time we were there. I'd met him a long time ago when I visited more frequently, but I doubt he remembers that. He was as friendly as he has ever been. He was engaging customers and ensuring everything was running smoothly. He's doing a great job. If he's around, say 'hello' and enjoy a nice chat with a nice guy.

Overall, I am really glad we decided to go to Charley Brown's. We will be back again. I've been to most of the Mexican restaurants in Thailand. Yes, in all of Thailand. Charley Brown's ranks in the top 3 for me. It's far better than most of the others around town, especially the big one that is beginning to become more like Taco Bell than a proper restaurant. I can't recommend this place highly enough.

For the two of us, our bill was just under 1,000 baht, so it isn't the cheapest place around. It does represent an excellent value for the money. If you go, you won't be disappointed.

• Visited November 2012
CharleyBrowns, Owner at Charley Brown's Mexican Cantina, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Brent,

Thanks for writing the review and the staff and I are pleased that you enjoyed your visit so much. Congratulations on the upcoming baby.

We still send food down to Cheap Charlies on a regular basis and also another nearby bar.

Last Sunday was pretty busy for us and the two booths were already reserved by the time you arrived - our apologies that we couldn't seat you there.

Ice will be delighted to see his name 'in lights' again. He's a real character. On the day of his interview I had the choice between this slightly scruffy young guy or a really pretty girl. But he was so full of enthusiasm and personality I decided to give him a try. I'm very pleased I did. He's got lots of fans among our guests and if he could only read the dial on his wristwatch, he'd be the perfect staff member!

The nachos are a pretty substantial dish - I rarely finish a whole one myself. And I think you made the right choice with the beef - we use beef imported from Australia and that makes all the difference.

Sorry about the mix-up with the shredded pork vs pork pieces in the tacos. Ice is now an expert on these items.

Actually I DID remember meeting you previously (which is amazing since I can barely remember what I had for lunch... and I'm still sitting at the table surrounded by dirty plates). And no doubt I will remember you again as the guy with the 'funny arm story'... (Any Tripadvisor readers are welcome to ask me about it - it's a cautionary tale which left me shocked!)

Thanks again for spending the time to chat with me and for writing the above review.

Charley
bangkok
“Enjoyable evening”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

Came here with my Girlfriend after reading Trip advisor reviews. I live in Nonthaburi and realy fancied Mexican so decided to take the Journey down. On the whole it did not disappoint. Greeted straight away and was seated by Friendly Englishman. I like the look of the restaurant. I thought it funny as my girlfriend was a bit out of her comfort Zone it is normally the other way round where I live. I ordered for the both of us. The Chicken Wings were cooked the way i like them and not in the least bit fatty. So many places undercook Chicken wings which I hate. Ordered the Fish Burito for GF and Chicken Fajitas for myself. Thought the Burito had good Rich Flavour and enjoyed it alot. The Fajitas I was a little bit disappointed with. There was a bit of a burnt flavour to them which I did not like. I think the burnt flavour was from the Serving dish and not from the food because the sauce had the burnt flavour more than the chicken. On the whole an enjoyable night and when I realy Fancy Mexican I would give this place another try.

• Visited November 2012
CharleyBrowns, Owner at Charley Brown's Mexican Cantina, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Pufyt

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. My staff and I are very pleased you enjoyed your visit. Thanks to people like yourself, we are getting more and more Thai converts to Mexican food, which can only be a good thing.

I'm glad the chicken wings and burritos were satisfactory, and I'm very surprised you weren't pleased with the fajitas - in my opinion they are the best thing on the menu. The onions are marinated and caramelised and the hot, sizzling skillet can blacken the bottom layer - which is my favourite part!

I hope if you visit again, you will let me know if any dishes are not to your liking, we are more than happy to remake or replace them. After all, we'd rather you leave feeling 100% happy than 90%.

Charley Brown