“Good Location”

Ranked #188 of 574 Hotels in Taipei
Kuala Lumpur
“Good Location”
Reviewed November 20, 2011

Stayed here for 4 nights..

Pro's
5) Reasonable Rate

Con's
1) Small hotel

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Burgary Hotel is situation in an excellent location, which is XMD. The room was spacious enough for me, and they have a jaccuzi for relaxation after a hard day of walking ! However, as some of the folks have mentioned the bathroom and shower are all in the same area, so it gets very wet after a shower. Many channels on TV (including adult), so may not be kids friendly.Not much of a choice for breakfast but that's alright considering the location. Overall, it's a nicely situation hotel and I have nothing much to complain about.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 10, 2011

I would definitely return to this hotel because...

- Location
Short scroll to the Ximending MRT station, close to everything!

- Room
Nicely decorated (we booked the Ruby room and it pretty much looks the same as the photos on their website), a tad small but that's because they had to fit in the large bathroom. Definitely get the room with the jacuzzi, it's worth it! After a long day shopping and sightseeing it's great to go back and relax. You can even watch TV while in the spa, and there're so many channels to choose from!

Another reviewer mentioned that the Burgary is a glorified love hotel, and is probably right! We didn't see anything dodgy going on though. I would agree this hotel is more suited to couples rather than families, as there are adult channels on TV!

Can't comment on the breakfast as I prefer eating at the local eateries rather than at the hotel. The staff were helpful, however their English is not the best. When we asked for an extra pillow they didn't know what we were talking about.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank katmky
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 7, 2009

I came to the Burgary with little expectations - I was on holiday. I did not want to spend too much, but neither do I want to stay in unclean, run-down budget hotels. So for the price I paid for the Burgary, it does fit the bill (no pun intended) nicely.

The best thing about the Burgary is its location - right in the middle of the Hsimenting district. This is arguably the most fashionable part of Taipei, and is supposed to rival that of Harajuku in Tokyo. The hotel itself is within a 3-min walking distance to the Hsimen metro station, so you cannot fault the Burgary for convenience.

Indeed, convenience is the tagline here. You can find 24-hour convenience stores nearby, an adequate supermarket, lots of eateries (cheap as well as expensive ones), lots of shopping and foot massage outlets all within a 15-to-20-minute walking distance. Hsimenting is also a place where the young and trendy congregate, so (not-too-expensive) bars and cafes are also plentiful. So, you have it (almost) all - food, shopping and nightlife!

However, the Burgary scores low in its rooms, which are very small. If you're coming as a couple, then you hardly have space for your luggage (and shopping bags). Fortunately, I'm just here for holiday so space is not really an issue to me, and I don't need a work-desk and I didn't go online to do work either.

Weird to say, the bathrooms are huge and there is actually a separate, huge jacuzzi tub enough to take in two persons. There is actually a second TV set in this jacuzzi space, so you literally take a long bath there and sip your champagne (the bath salts provided tell it all). If only they allow more space for the rest of the room, then maybe it won't be so cramped, I was thinking.

Service wise, it's adequate. I did not ask for the moon and in fact, I couldn't care less when the (included) breakfast they gave me was just a cup of tea with a hashbrown and croissant. The front desk staff was okay (maybe because I speak Mandarin) and they willingly helped keep my luggage at no extra costs when I went to the south for two days in the middle of my trip. The front lobby (actually no lobby at all) is tiny indeed, and I must say this hotel is obviously a love hotel for those transit-stay couples, as evidenced in the frequency of couples checking in/out at the front desk.

Those coming with kids should note that this hotel's TV shows adult entertainment freely, not via a pay channel. I don't know if there's a child lock, but I did see some families checking in with kids no older than 5-6 years and my other half immediately wonder if they would flip to those channels...

All in all, the Burgary meets our standards well. Yes, if I'm on business maybe I'd be frustrated with the size and lack of business facilities. But since I was on a holiday and location was so important to me, I would gladly say: try the Burgary if you can take its quirks and inadequacies.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Sal the Fat Fish
singapore
Reviewed May 20, 2009

For the amount of money that I paid (more than USD100 for per night), I believe there are better hotel rooms than this.

I was there from 15/5/09 - 19/5/09. There are different catagories of rooms available and the one that I have booked is the "Green Diamond" catagory.

What I like about the Hotel :
1) Hotel - The staff were quite friendly and helpful.

2) Room - The room design is modern and it comes with a flat screen TV, separate shower (rain shower) and bath tub (granite made). Amenties wise, the toiletries provided were pretty comprehensive.

3) Location - No doubt, it does have a good location. It is about 1 - 2 minutes walk from the MRT station (exit 1). It is minutes to Ximending area. A 24-hours Carrefour is located about 10 mins walk from the hotel. There is also a 24-hours Family Mart just behind the hotel where you can get drinks or snacks if you find Carrefour too far for you.

What I dislike about the Hotel :
1) Hotel - The hotel lobby was very small. There is only 1 lift to ferry guests to their rooms and the lift is pretty small. There is a small cafe on level 3 where you have your breakfast at but the breakfast is not fantastic. The selections were the same (salad with sandwich or spaghetti) for all 4 days that we had the breakfast there.

2) Room - The bedroom itself is very cramp and there is basically not much room to put the luggage, especially when there are 2 of us. A 2 seater wooden sofa with cushions is available in the room. However, as the room was pretty small, the sofa is placed just beside the bed and I had accidentally knocked onto the edge of the sofa while trying to get out of bed for at least twice, each time with bruises landed on my thigh. There's no closet in the room. For the bed, you will get the comforter but not the duvet (blanket under the comforter). The aircon produces a "woo-woo" sound and so it is a nuisance when you are trying to sleep at night. There is no complimentary bottled water.

In the bathroom, there is no additional door at the shower area to block water from splashing out when you are showering. The hanger for towel and clothes is not next to the shower area but located a few steps away. Hence, the whole floor in the bathroom area will usually be quite wet after shower (from water splashed out during shower and water dripping from your body to the floor when you walked out of shower to get your towel). If you have a toiletry bag with you, you may like to know that there is no space to put your toiletry bag in the bathroom. The basin area also does not have any space for you to put things like your tooth brush, tooth paste or shaver. At times, loud sounds of water being drained in the pipe can also be heard.

Service - The room make up was not very thoroughly done. We had some food in the room one of the nights and there were some sauce and bits of food left on the coffee table in the room and we could still see the same stains and bits of food lying on the coffee table the next night. There was a rubble mat outside the shower area and stains of shower gel that has dried up on the rubble mat could still be seen also. We requested for our room to be make up and there was one day that our room was not even made up when we return to our room at about 7pm in the evening. There was also one morning when they did drilling works in the room above us and we were not even informed about that in advance.

Given a choice, I don't think I will stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank baby_mg
Australia
Reviewed June 17, 2008

When we went in Oct 2007 last year was only open for a few months and the room was just divine. Both my bf and me thouroughly enjoy ourself.

it's great for honeymoon locationas the shops are near and very convient to public transport.

Great Lights at night and many more.

I will definitely recommend it. It's the best we been too.

So do try it and feel the experience.

Cheers!

Stayed October 2007
Anywhere, Earth
Reviewed February 3, 2008

I stayed at the Burguary Hotel for 4 days, 3 nights. Location is excellent, right next to the MRT's blue line, Ximen. carrefour is about 2 blocks away.

Another reviewer said they paid USD 60-100 a night. I guess I got ripped off by my Hong Kong agent who booked the plane and hotel for us for around $150.00 per night. My agent said there are around 4 pricing levels of the hotel and I think we got the 2 or 3 best choice.

The staff do NOT speak English. The rooms are on the small size because the whirlpool bath tub, and shower takes up almost half the room. There is very minimal place to put your belongings.

Another reviewer wrote, "This is NOT a family friendly hotel. The bathroom is separated by glass walls and there is no shade or curtain that can come down. That means there is a full view into the jacuzzi, shower and even toilet."

Not true, we had a shade that seperated whirlpool tub from our bedroom. But there is a see through glass door that leads to the bathroom. I guess you can put a towl on the glass door to partially cover the door. But yes, not as kid friendly.

What I love about this hotel? 2 things:

1. the whirlpool tub. about walking around in taipei every day. I can come back and relax day and night in the spacious whirlpool tub.

2. there are over 50 cable channels, and at least 10 movie channels to relax after a long day in taipei.

What I did not really like:

1. The shower, toilet, and sink are all located in one room. After you take a shower, the entire floor becomes wet. So, please bring waterproof slippers and/or what we did was use our bath tools to soak up the wet marble/tile floors.

• Liked — spa, whirlpool bath
  • Disliked — wet floors after a shower
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple