“good for backpacker”

Ranked #77 of 241 Specialty Lodging in Taipei
Hualien County, Taiwan
“good for backpacker”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I have stayed in this hostel for 3 times. It's good for young traveler. The location is very good,very close to Shandao temple MRT station. The staffs are friendly. The most important is they speak english. I stayed in private room, it has private bathroom. The room and bathroom are ok. However, I have a problem with the AC. It has a special time for turning on the AC, from 10 pm to 7 am. That was ok, because I stayed there in winter time, so I didn't need AC. I can't imagine if that was in summer. My suggestion is, maybe you can negotiate with the staff to be able to turn on the AC anytime u want. I know you will get extra charge, but I think that's worth it.

Room Tip: Choose private room, the price is almost the same, but it is much more convenient.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Riri_T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Antibes, France
Reviewed May 20, 2013

the staff are very friendly it is like having a home away from home and very trustworthy owner.
i woke up late to catch the bus to airport so asked tony the owner best way to get there as i was running late the taxi was my only option. i was scrambling around with my flight details and Tony had to take a phone call. as i was late i ran out leaving my travel wallet with a few hundred dollars worth of currency and iteraries and what not. i got to the airport and a lady from air asia asked me if i left my wallet at my hostel he was on the phone to sort out my lost wallet! i think that was just great and it made my holiday !!! i recomend this place to everyone!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank stevey_h_11
Lexington, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Got single dorm for very low price. Room was small, but comfy enough and I slept OK. There are shared bathrooms which are not the neatest, but facilities worked well enough. People who work there not the friendliest. There are laundry machines that worked well and a computer for free use in lobby, along with tv. Location ok, it's on 6th floor of building, and close to one of the main subway lines. If you're looking for your own room and REALLY want to spend low amount of money, then this may be good place.

Room Tip: Get your own room, it's not much more expensive than shared dorm room.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank tedkirby
Chula Vista, California
Reviewed January 20, 2013

It's a great deal, 300 NT$ a night and 600NT$ for a key deposit. I stayed in the dorm room and met some fun and interesting people from around the world. It's close to Shandao Temple MRT station and it also has free WIFI. My only complaint is the toilet stunk to high heaven and was always like the Amazon jungle with the humidity and wet floors.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Brian L
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

If you know how it is like to live in a hostel, you'll survive here. Almost perfect - location, price, facilities, people. Convenient to everywhere as it is some few walk to the MRT and bus stop to and from International Airport. Convenience stores (there are 3) are the friendly neighbors. If you get lucky, you can make friends with other guests.

• Stayed August 2012
Taichung, T'ai-wan, Taiwan
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I stayed in a private room for a few nights. For 500 NT it was ok, I guess. Positives: It was clean and right next to a subway stop. Negatives: The website says that it is 50 NT / 8 hours for the AC, but I was charged an extra 100 NT day at check in and my AC was only on from 11 pm to 7 am. I asked about this at check-out, after following up twice, and it started an argument with the owner. The owner, Lilly, was rather rude and hostile, too. For example, thee is a pay phone, but it doesn't work very well. When you ask for help, she will make comments like, "have you used phone before?" She seems to be rather annoyed if guests interrupt her dinner or "work" with questions of any kind.

The room itself was fine, and the guests that I met staying there were very nice. There is a nice little lounge area with leather couches, a big tv and good wireless internet. The downside is just the staff. Honestly, I never felt welcomed there, just like more of an inconvenience when I had questions for them.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Zachary S
Tainan, T'ai-wan, Taiwan
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I stayed in this hostel 4 times- the first time was for 2 weeks, in a dorm room, which was a nice experience. I got to meet many nice people, and the atmosphere was really friendly in the shared areas. The staff was always friendly. The second time, I came back with friends and stayed in double rooms, which were always clean, had wireless net and although quite basic, were more than enough for the price paid. Beds are hard, but beds are hard everywhere in Taiwan! The nicest thing was that the lady there remembered me, a year after staying there! When I go back to Taipei I will probably stay there again. :)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends