“A motel, at best.”

Ranked #293 of 571 Hotels in Taipei
Los Angeles, California
“A motel, at best.”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

After a long day of delayed flights and a 4-hour layover in the Hong Kong airport, I was looking forward to getting to Taipei and sleeping. We pulled up to the See You Hotel around 1:30/2AM and checked in.

The lobby has the bare minimum of a front desk and some travel brochures. The guy at the front desk handed us two breakfast vouchers which turned out to be for the McDonald's and/or KFC down the street. Hmm, okay. We were so exhausted and headed up the elevator to our room on the 8th floor.

We opened the door and this awful smell that was a mixture of smoke and mildew/mold came rushing out. It was really overwhelming and incredibly unpleasant. We called down to the front desk and were given a sort of humidifier or air filter that was supposed to help clear the air quality. The room itself was dirty and dingy. They had house slippers that I put on (over my socks) immediately, I could never imagine walking barefoot in there. There was nothing inviting or homey about this place.

Not too long after we opened our suitcases, the power went out. A few minutes later, it came back on, only to go out again no more than 5 minutes after. My sister said she wanted tell the people downstairs, but I was too scared to stay in the room myself. We stepped into the elevator and it started jumping up and down then the doors opened to our floor. I already have a fear of elevators and this was not helping in any way. We refused to try our luck in the elevator again, so we walked down the 8 flights of stairs. Legit, the stairs looked like a scene out of a horror movie. There were random carts of linens hanging out on one floor, the lights flickered at your every step, and there were these nets that hung in between each floor I'm assuming to catch anything that is... falling?

We got to the lobby to hear the phones ringing off the hook and there was no one down there to even talk to. Another couple came down with the front desk guy and were complaining about how this was unacceptable. They did not want to stay another night and decided they would drive home at 3AM. After yelling back and forth with the clerk, they threatened to call the cops if they weren't given a refund to which the clerk responded "then call the cops!" And welp, that's exactly what they did. The cops came and basically forced the hotel to process a refund.

The clerk came with us to our room and did some sort of rigging to the electrical unit to keep the power on. Unfortunately, the power went out a couple more times after that. At this point, I think it was close to 4AM and we were getting delirious. My sister popped an ambien and was a bit of a zombie so we decided to just pass out and figure things out in the morning.

When we woke up, we couldn't breathe without coughing. Every breath we took tickled the back of our throats and we would have the worst cough attacks. That was it, I couldn't do it anymore.

My aunt came to check on us because we had plans to meet with my grandma for lunch. The moment she came into the room, she commented on the air quality and insisted we couldn't stay there. She went down to the front desk and a few minutes later, had convinced them to give us a refund for the remainder of our stay (we were going to be there for another 6 nights!). THANK GOODNESS.

We packed our stuff as quickly as possible. I could not get out of there fast enough. I have stayed in many hotels in my life, even hostels, and I have to say this was probably at the level of a Motel 6.

Yes, the hotel's location is fantastic. It is close to Ximending and Taipei Main Station, and most importantly, it is a hop skip and a jump away from our grandma, BUT, all that is not worth what we went through the mere 10 hours we were at the hotel. The professional photos of the hotel are a joke, it looked nothing like that. Not sure how the ratings are so high, and it's possibly this was a freak incident but, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Proceed with caution!

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Stephanie L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I honestly can't believe that this hotel has a 90% thumbs up rating. This was the worst hotel I've ever stayed at. We got in very late (2am) and checked in. The lobby is simple and the breakfast offered is a voucher for KFC and MCDs. We were assigned a standard room on the 8th floor and headed up the elevator. Here's when things went horribly wrong. First of all, the smell of the room. It was an intensely strong mix of mildew and smoke. I don't know if every room is like this but I found it seriously difficult to breathe. The bathroom was pretty dirty, I would never walk barefoot in this place. Then the lights went out. The room went pitch black. We went to check in the hallway if this was an issue in the entire hotel but the hallway lights were on. The elevator was really scary. We stepped in and it literally went down half a floor and then stopped and opened the doors. We had to climb out! Lawsuit waiting to happen. Then the lights popped back on so we hoped it was just a random fluke. But in the next five minutes, the lights went out again! And then back on. And then out again, no less than 5 times on and off in the next 20 minutes.

We went down the 8 flights of stairs to try and talk to the front desk since the phones were out. There was another couple trying to check out and asking for a refund. The front desk clerk refused to grant a refund and the couple actually called the cops on the clerk! The cops came and forced the clerk to grant the refund. The clerk pleaded with us to let him try and fix the problem. The clerk then went to our room, fixed a fuse and the lights went back on.

Honestly, if it wasn't 3:30am at this point, we probably would've switched hotels right there and then. To their credit, when we checked out at 11am, See You granted us a refund for all the other nights we had booked with the hotel. But they insisted on charging us for our hellish one night there. At that point, we didn't care as we were just trying to get out of there and to some clean air as soon as possible. When we woke up, we couldn't stop coughing, the air quality was that bad.

The location is the reason I chose this hotel as it amazingly convenient to everything but it was awful on so many levels and I wasn't willing to risk my health on a shady place like this.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Crystal L
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed November 7, 2013

It's close to everything! Taipei Main Station, 7-11, Family Mart, banks for changing currency, Starbucks, bakery, oily roasted duck place, good noodle shop, wonton shop, Ximending, National Museum, Peace Park, ShiZiLin Mall (second hand shop for cellphones) - you can walk from there.

The bathroom is quite nice. The room has a fridge, safe, hair dryer. The A/C controls were in Chinese so its trial and error. There is no room service but who cares, you're next door to everything.

I definitely recommend it. And I'll go back.

Room Tip: Don't get the room next to the elevator.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Just back from Taipei and stayed at See You Hotel for 1 night. Rooms were very clean , the hotel is relatively near to Taipei main station (MRT, Bus, Train ) which is convenient when you take the coach from Taoyuan Airport , but the exit near only has stairs, not comfortable with luggage.
Staff very nice & helpful.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank litaindahsari
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Just back from Taipei and stayed at See You Hotel for 3 nights. This is my first time to stay near Taipei Main Station. It is really close to Taipei West Bus Station Terminal so it is convenient for us to reach the hotel when we got off the bus from the airport. However it is not too close to Taipei Main Station as I expect. It takes about 10 mins walk to MRT or train although the hotel is close to the entrance Z10 of Taipei Underground Market (1 min walk). No escalator or lift provided for many of the underground market entrances.

The staff of the hotel are polite. They even called me one day before I arrived Taipei to confirm my check-in time. My family and I stayed at Superior Twin and Deluxe Double Bed room respectively. I think the size and cleanliness of both rooms are satisfactory. No special decoration in the rooms, the design is the plain one.

As there is no restaurant in the hotel, breakfast coupon is provided so you may enjoy your breakfast at KFC or McDonald nearby (within 5 mins walk). We have tried both restaurants and find that KFC can only offer limited breakfast sets with that coupon, but we may order any set provided in the menu and even upgrade my coffee to fresh ground one at McDonald.

Overall, the quality of this hotel plus its location with this price, it is recommendable.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Hotel is a 10mins walk to the Taipei main station. Don't use the underpass if you have alot of luggage or stroller as there's alot of stairs in the underpass. It's faster to walk on the surface road. It's near to shopping mall and small eateries. Also, it's a 10-15min walk to Ximending.
We stayed in deluxe double room. Room is small but still acceptable. Comes with bathtub and rainforest shower. Bed was too soft as i prefer firm beds.
There was one night the room door fell off when we opened the door but the reception was quick to call in the technician to fix it.
Comes with breakfast vouchers to either redeem at McDonalds or KFC.
i might stay here again, unless there are better hotels nearby when i go back again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank 18ET
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I stayed 4 nights there. I would consider this is a budget hotel as actually not much facilities provided by the hotel. Price slightly more expensive than budget hotel but acceptable. Staff were very nice and helpful. I was bugging them to help me to call the airline to check my flight status for about 15 mins but they did not show me any impatience attitude even though they were busy at that moment. Room is clean, though not a very spacious one. Location is good. Cannot say it's very close to train station but it's near to one of the subway exit of the underground shopping mall. ATM and food stores nearby. I was not aware the price included a breakfast and offered KFC breakfast, which is a surprise to me.

Just some areas need to improve: (1) the window curtain in my room cannot close tightly so usually I woke up by the sunlight in the early morning. I suppose a fix is needed. (2) guests need to leave the door key at the front desk when they are out but the front desk actually did not check the identity of the guest when they come back and ask for the key (and I wonder if the front desk can remember me as they never asked since the very beginning ... ). I think there may be a security concern.

Overall, this hotel is good and I would consider to stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo