“The worst hotel ever”

Ranked #272 of 570 Hotels in Taipei
Los Angeles, California
“The worst hotel ever”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I honestly can't believe that this hotel has a 90% thumbs up rating. This was the worst hotel I've ever stayed at. We got in very late (2am) and checked in. The lobby is simple and the breakfast offered is a voucher for KFC and MCDs. We were assigned a standard room on the 8th floor and headed up the elevator. Here's when things went horribly wrong. First of all, the smell of the room. It was an intensely strong mix of mildew and smoke. I don't know if every room is like this but I found it seriously difficult to breathe. The bathroom was pretty dirty, I would never walk barefoot in this place. Then the lights went out. The room went pitch black. We went to check in the hallway if this was an issue in the entire hotel but the hallway lights were on. The elevator was really scary. We stepped in and it literally went down half a floor and then stopped and opened the doors. We had to climb out! Lawsuit waiting to happen. Then the lights popped back on so we hoped it was just a random fluke. But in the next five minutes, the lights went out again! And then back on. And then out again, no less than 5 times on and off in the next 20 minutes.

We went down the 8 flights of stairs to try and talk to the front desk since the phones were out. There was another couple trying to check out and asking for a refund. The front desk clerk refused to grant a refund and the couple actually called the cops on the clerk! The cops came and forced the clerk to grant the refund. The clerk pleaded with us to let him try and fix the problem. The clerk then went to our room, fixed a fuse and the lights went back on.

Honestly, if it wasn't 3:30am at this point, we probably would've switched hotels right there and then. To their credit, when we checked out at 11am, See You granted us a refund for all the other nights we had booked with the hotel. But they insisted on charging us for our hellish one night there. At that point, we didn't care as we were just trying to get out of there and to some clean air as soon as possible. When we woke up, we couldn't stop coughing, the air quality was that bad.

The location is the reason I chose this hotel as it amazingly convenient to everything but it was awful on so many levels and I wasn't willing to risk my health on a shady place like this.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Crystal L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed November 7, 2013

It's close to everything! Taipei Main Station, 7-11, Family Mart, banks for changing currency, Starbucks, bakery, oily roasted duck place, good noodle shop, wonton shop, Ximending, National Museum, Peace Park, ShiZiLin Mall (second hand shop for cellphones) - you can walk from there.

The bathroom is quite nice. The room has a fridge, safe, hair dryer. The A/C controls were in Chinese so its trial and error. There is no room service but who cares, you're next door to everything.

I definitely recommend it. And I'll go back.

Room Tip: Don't get the room next to the elevator.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Just back from Taipei and stayed at See You Hotel for 1 night. Rooms were very clean , the hotel is relatively near to Taipei main station (MRT, Bus, Train ) which is convenient when you take the coach from Taoyuan Airport , but the exit near only has stairs, not comfortable with luggage.
Staff very nice & helpful.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank litaindahsari
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Just back from Taipei and stayed at See You Hotel for 3 nights. This is my first time to stay near Taipei Main Station. It is really close to Taipei West Bus Station Terminal so it is convenient for us to reach the hotel when we got off the bus from the airport. However it is not too close to Taipei Main Station as I expect. It takes about 10 mins walk to MRT or train although the hotel is close to the entrance Z10 of Taipei Underground Market (1 min walk). No escalator or lift provided for many of the underground market entrances.

The staff of the hotel are polite. They even called me one day before I arrived Taipei to confirm my check-in time. My family and I stayed at Superior Twin and Deluxe Double Bed room respectively. I think the size and cleanliness of both rooms are satisfactory. No special decoration in the rooms, the design is the plain one.

As there is no restaurant in the hotel, breakfast coupon is provided so you may enjoy your breakfast at KFC or McDonald nearby (within 5 mins walk). We have tried both restaurants and find that KFC can only offer limited breakfast sets with that coupon, but we may order any set provided in the menu and even upgrade my coffee to fresh ground one at McDonald.

Overall, the quality of this hotel plus its location with this price, it is recommendable.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Hotel is a 10mins walk to the Taipei main station. Don't use the underpass if you have alot of luggage or stroller as there's alot of stairs in the underpass. It's faster to walk on the surface road. It's near to shopping mall and small eateries. Also, it's a 10-15min walk to Ximending.
We stayed in deluxe double room. Room is small but still acceptable. Comes with bathtub and rainforest shower. Bed was too soft as i prefer firm beds.
There was one night the room door fell off when we opened the door but the reception was quick to call in the technician to fix it.
Comes with breakfast vouchers to either redeem at McDonalds or KFC.
i might stay here again, unless there are better hotels nearby when i go back again.

2 Thank 18ET
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I stayed 4 nights there. I would consider this is a budget hotel as actually not much facilities provided by the hotel. Price slightly more expensive than budget hotel but acceptable. Staff were very nice and helpful. I was bugging them to help me to call the airline to check my flight status for about 15 mins but they did not show me any impatience attitude even though they were busy at that moment. Room is clean, though not a very spacious one. Location is good. Cannot say it's very close to train station but it's near to one of the subway exit of the underground shopping mall. ATM and food stores nearby. I was not aware the price included a breakfast and offered KFC breakfast, which is a surprise to me.

Just some areas need to improve: (1) the window curtain in my room cannot close tightly so usually I woke up by the sunlight in the early morning. I suppose a fix is needed. (2) guests need to leave the door key at the front desk when they are out but the front desk actually did not check the identity of the guest when they come back and ask for the key (and I wonder if the front desk can remember me as they never asked since the very beginning ... ). I think there may be a security concern.

Overall, this hotel is good and I would consider to stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Stayed at See You Hotel for 4 nights in Oct. The location is very good, just opposite Taipei Station and Bus Terminal. There are plenty of restaurants and food stalls around. The hotel was clean and comfortable! I will definitely choose this hotel if I visit Taipei again!

1 Thank hakuta00