“A gem of a hotel in Shilin”

Beauty Hotels Taipei - Starbeauty Resort
Ranked #272 of 578 Hotels in Taipei
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Initially, I was a little disappointed because the taxi driver couldn't locate the hotel. The hotel entrance too wasn't impressive until I reached my hotel room. I was pleasantly surprised by the spacious room and the size of the bathroom. The bed too was very comfortable that I didn't feel like getting out of it. But I do wish they had more closet space.
Even though there is no fitness centre, there is a park and swimming pool just opposite the hotel. So I found it interesting to watch the people in this neighborhood. However, there were a couple of times when the neighbourhood seemed noisy because of some religious ceremonies conducted by the temples near the hotel. Thankfully the noises didn't carry on for too long and I was able to get back to sleep.
The location of the hotel is great if you plan to do a lot of shopping as Shilin night market is just a 5 - 10 min walk. Or you could hop on the mrt at Jiantan station for some higher end shopping at Zhongshan or enjoy the seabreeze at Tamshui or the hotsprings at Xinbeitou.
Breakfast was ok but maybe a little too oily for my liking.
Definitely this hotel comes highly recommended for its location, comfort and good service.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I love the bed so much. It's very comfortable. Because of my short leg, I think that the location is quite far from MRT. I walk around 10 minutes to subway. I don't like breakfast here. Because of short period of breakfast, I wake up so late that I cannot have breakfast on time. I stayed here for five days but I have breakfast only one day.

If you come from airport. You should take the taxi from Shilin market or Jiantan station to Hotel. It costs around 80NTD. There are many minimarts near the place. Staff can speak English well in the daytime shift.

The comfortable way to go back to airport is taking a taxi to main station. Taxi charges not over 160NTD. Then, take a bus to airport(TPE).

Room Tip: I got the corner room near elevator. I think the space is smaller than other room. The Bathroom is v...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Just check in today, we are early so we came back at 4pm to check in in which supposed to be 3pm but again we can only check in at 430pm due to some issue with the room. Small issue ....

But when reach the room, we tried to on the heater in the room as was quite cold , the heater was spoilt after checking with the staff but was offered to send us a heater for our room to keep us warm n cosy in this cold weather. Small issue too. Really appreciated it.

Simply feel ridiculous as its the 1st time receiving this type of orders from hotel management.
Lastly, reach our room around midnight n was watching the tv after a hot bath, n to our surprise, we received a call from the front desk saying our tv volume is too loud but my tv volume was already less than 10. We already couldnt hear the tv conversation clearly N insisted that we need to turn the volume down as after midnight, if the volume is still too loud, I believe the hotel should do something to improve the soundproofing to the door or wall. Or else, they might as well state, no sound from tv after midnight or provide headset for guest.

I guess they should state in the room details, tv/sound off after 12am....

Hmmmm what if I have a guest next door who snore very loudly when sleeping? Can we ask him turn down his volume?
Pray hard this don't happened.....

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kerryytheng
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Took my wonderful wife on a short break to Taipei, and we elected to stay at the Starbeauty - a small hotel, in a rather 1990s style. We got one of the nicer rooms, on the 10th floor, with good views from the rather small windows. The hotel is solid, but nothing special, which is what we had hoped for. The staff are professional without overdoing it, and we were really only let down by the breakfast - we ended up going out rather than eat in...

Room Tip: Higher is better.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Small hotel near to Shihlin night market. Nothing special, but ideal for spend some night during business trip. Only Chinese foods for breakfast. Subway only 2 minuts by foot. Park, swimming pool near at hand. Internet, satelite television in rooms. Some of staffs doesn't speaks English.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
beautyhotels, supervisor at Beauty Hotels Taipei - Starbeauty Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Thanks for your suggestion.The benefint from your idea will increase our service.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

This is an excellent hotel for any young couples who are having a compact trip in taipei and want to make the best out of it. Being near to Jiantan MRT station, shilin night market and also the national palace museum, it saves us ALOT of time in travelling. Also, the surrounding small eateries and convenient shops gave us the experience of "living like a local". While the room is small and the facilities may be abit old, it is very comfortable and clean. What really impressed us was the service rendered by the staff, with special attention to the receptionist Kuma. We had a short trip and stay in sun moon lake in the middle our trip, and we left our big luggage and bags with the staff so that we can travel light. They took good care of it. We also had problems in arranging our trip to Taroko Gorge and we don't speak good mandarin. They helped called the hotel we booked there MULTIPLE times to confirm time of arrival and pick up, even to the extent of booking a train trip for us. We look forward to stay there again if ever traveling to taipei in future.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ai T

Thanks for your propagate our hotel.We look forward to serving you again next time.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

The last day in 2012, i had a historical bad experience with this hotel and booking.com.

In Mid Nov i booked this hotel for the new year holiday in Taipei. There were not many hotels available and this one seemed to be a good option based on the previous reviews. The hotel room pictures look quite spacious and trendy on its website too. So i paid Taiwan $ 21,911 for 4 nights.

However, when i arrived today. I was totally shocked. They had an outdoor ad saying it cost from only 1980 per night... It is more like a inn or a shabby motel. When i arrived around 1pm, they said i could only check in at 3pm, so we left our luggage and when we came back at 4:30, they still kept us wait for 15 mins and then said they ugrade us to the luxury room for tonight because the standard king i booked was sold out...but asked me to move tomorrow.... The so-called luxury room was actually very small and the worst thing is there is even no heater in the room....so i had to wear what i wear outside in the room!

I couldn't believe that such a room will cost me over TW$ 5000 per night in average. So i asked the reception, they said the rate for tonight is TW$15,000!!! And from tomorrow it will be 2400. What the hell, if i had known that, i could have booked a real 5 star hotel for the same price.

Very disappointing experience and I totally lost my trust in booking.com.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple