“Pleasant stay except for bug attack”
Review of Dong Wu Hotel

Dong Wu Hotel
Ranked #136 of 586 Hotels in Taipei
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I was bitten by insect / bug after the first night (all over upper thighs, buttocks and abdomen), though my partner was not affected. As it was a Sunday, the hotel staff told us the only place to consult doctor was at hospital A&E. After the visit, we requested for change of room. The reception commented that the previous guests had no feedback of bugs. We changed to a new room and did not suffer any more attacks for the next 2 nights.

Location wise, its about 7 min walk from MRT station. Nothing very interesting around the hotel. The night market nearby is mainly food stalls.

Room wise, its no frills but seemingly clean (except for the bug attack). There were 4 pillows and it would be more comfortable if they were not so flat.

There is a good spread for breakfast and they took effort to have some different items each day.

I wonder why there is no ramp from the main road to the lobby (though its like 2 steps but would certainly help to improve accessibility for those with heavy luggage). An automatic door would also help.

I like the service of the staff the most. They advised us on location of the hospital, helped to call famous restaurant for reservation and call us back to inform us of the outcome of the reservation. They are also able to provide other travel advice such as what time the attractions are open.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank happie852

Reviewed June 3, 2012

Not to the expectation base on the reviews. Not too sure y this hotel is in the top list.....

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Our family of 5 including 1 toddler and 1 kid have a 4-day stay here. Booked a 5 ppl room. Though the room is not very big but the 3 beds are big and comfort.

Breakfast choice is better than we expect, esp the coffee. Have a full stomach before leaving for the day.

1 added value, we've asked reception's help to order some pineapple cake and delivered to us before we leave, we just need to put the money at reception. Reception desk's service is good, special thanks to Maggie for ordering.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank AriesLee
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Wow. I don't think I've ever stayed at a hotel that offers better value. The rooms are no frills but very comfortable, the breakfasts are good, and the hotel is very convenient to the subway and multiple bus lines. I would definitely stay here again. The only snag is that the hotel's online reservation system is a little antiquated. It does work though - I had no issues. if you are concerned just give them a quick call after your web booking to confirm. The hotel staff actually speak pretty good English, much better than what the website would imply. Stay here if you want value - you won't regret it!

Room Tip: Get a room with a window - its not that much more expensive and worth the money.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank underock
Reviewed May 16, 2012

We were very pleasently surprised by this hotel. The rooms are quite spacious, the breakfast is very good and the staff extremely helpful. Situated close to the MRT.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sara B
Reviewed May 15, 2012

If you are not looking for 4Star hotel but a great place to stay so that you can roam around the city, then this is definitely a hotel worth staying in. It lives up to, surpasses, everything that I read about it online. The hotel is about 2 blocks from the MRT station making it quite convenient to get around. It costs about 20 to 25 NT$ MRT fees to get to most of the major attractions (e.g.,Shilin Market, Beitou Hot Spring, Ximen, Taipei Main station, and Freedom Plaza). The taxi ride to Ximen is less than 80 NT$ and it is only 2 MRT stops to the main Taipei train station. If you are a “walker” like me, in most cases, you can walk from one MRT to another MRT in about 15 minutes. From the hotel, once you get to the MRT station, there is a long, brightly lit, underground walkway to get the train platform.
The hotel staff is extremely friendly, helpful, knowledgeable, and can speak English quite well. On the last night of my stay, my friends and I needed to take a taxi to stop both at the Taoyuan Airport and to drop one of us off at Taoyuan City. The Front Desk called the taxi company, explained what we wanted to do and negotiated a very reasonable fix priced ride for the 4 of us with a large taxi. Their effort is well appreciated. The rooms are very nice, clean, and very brightly lit. They are not large but comfortable for 2 people. The room came with an excellent buffet breakfast of both western and eastern food, and the dining hall has several Apple based internet stations with printers and well stocked racks of magazines.
I stayed at 3 different hotels during my trip to Taipei area, including one right in the heart of the Ximen tourist area, by far this hotel is the best if you don’t mind not being in the heart of the tourist area. The area near the hotel feels safe and there are shops and eating places in the neighborhood.

Room Tip: If you want a room with 2 beds, you have to ask in advance. Before my arrival, they emailed me to c...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank FamilyOnVacati0n
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Just came back from a 7 day trip to taiwan and I must say Dongwu has everything and is truly a bang for its buck. It is near to the MRT station which is only about 10 mins to the main stations (or you could cab to the main areas at a low cost). It is also near Carrefour, cosmed and some eateries and a night market which should be explored. The staff are very friendly, helpful and accomodating.

Basically, I have no complains whatsoever about this hotel. Location, cleanliness and service were all great.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple