“Very good for value, excellent location”
Review of Shin Shih Hotel

Shin Shih Hotel
Ranked #375 of 573 Hotels in Taipei
Reviewed January 2, 2011

I am very glad I picked this hotel as advised by fellow travellers on Tripadvisor. It is a simple hotel, nothing pompous, might even look a bit rundown from the outside, but it has everything we need - a comfortable bed, good air conditioning, reasonable breakfast, and you can find anything an average traveller needs in the room. The location is excellent - less than 5 min walk from a MRT station and Ambassador Hotel which is a stop for some airport buses, and there are plenty of food stalls and convenient stores around the hotel. I would recommend this hotel for travellers on a budget and yet desire the comfort and convenience of a good hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank sgsheep
There are newer reviews for Shin Shih Hotel

Reviewed January 1, 2011

First time to have to stay in a hotel in Taiwan as I have usually had the luxury of staying with friends. This hotel was recommended by a local friend who helped with finding me a inexpensive sleep. Nothing fancy here as I only needed a place to sleep and shower.
Booked online through their website and they were quick to get back to me to confirm details / take a deposit.
Location was good in that it was a short walk from the MRT after being dropped off by the Evergreen bus from the airport. Lots of local shops in the area for food / water.
Room was a good size although it had no real window. Washroom was large. Bed was a bit old / soft but nothing to complain about. An older building and it shows but seemed to be well kept.
Overall a decent place to stay at a good rate if all you want is a place to sleep.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank YVR-AKI
Reviewed December 24, 2010

We enjoyed our stay in this hotel. 1. Convenience - there's Evergreen bus fr TaoYuan airport to the hotel; 2 min walking distance to ShuanLiang MRT station; Watson, Starbucks, McDonalds, Dante Cafe, bakery shops, restaurants nearby 2. Nice Room - Not spacious but clean; beds are OK; many TV channels to watch n there's DVD player; provide/replace daily most of the toiletries we needed; free bottled drinking water; kettle to boil hot water if u want to make tea/coffee (there's free coffee fr the coffee machine downstairs; free WIFI (strong only when we use our laptop near the table) & there's PC downstairs for hotel guest to use for free 3. Simple Chinese Breakfast - Quiet standard every morning there are juice, coffee, tea, porridge, rice, soup, vegetables, eggs, meat, fruits etc. but we dont mind as its taste OK. There are plenty of restaurants/bakery outside the hotel if u dont like the hotel food.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 21, 2010

This was a 2 night stay and my first visit to Taipei since the 1960's. Hotel staff were courteous on check in though I thought it was funny that when I checked in at 7pm I was told to wait 10 minutes while they "checked" the room. I found that the room I thought I reserved through Booking.com was not the Deluxe but Superior. Since the hotel was full no upgrade was possible. I definitely won't go through Booking.com again for hotel reservations. The room (802) was adequate, air con was excellent, toiletries were plentiful and included all the ones found in 4/5 star hotels and maybe even more. I requested a non-smoking room in my reservation and though there was no smoke smell in the room the bedding had a slight smoke ordor. I am not ultra sensitive to the smell but if others are it may be a problem. The room also had a hot water pot with coffee and tea available along with coffee available downstairs. Room is small but adequate. Bathroom is typical Asian in that the shower will spill over on to the floor. Breakfast came with the room. Typical Asian breakfast with rice soup, vegetables, meat, rice, one fruit, juice, coffee and tea. They did have eggs and sausage (not appealing) and toast. I'm use to having rice soup (congee) so breakfast was ok but simple. If you don't like the Asian breakfast you can go down the street to Dante and get an American breakfast.
The positives are great location, easy access to MRT and near airport bus stops. Toiletries in room were plentiful. Good air con and hot water.
My major complaint was they advertised and told me on check in that there was wireless in my room. I didn't bring my laptop since I had my smart phone that could connect to the wireless. I never got a connection in the room. The room did have a wired connection that if I had a laptop it might have worked. One of the staff came up right after I checked in to see why I couldn't get a connection but gave me the usual response that they would check it out in the a.m. Needless to say when I asked about it the next day in the afternoon the response was they would call me when it was working. I've been in Asia long enough to know that is the polite way of saying we aren't going to do anything. The wireless worked fine on the ground floor but it was rather inconvenient.
Overall impression is that the room and service does not justify what I paid (NT2080). My next visit to Taipei will be at another hotel.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed June 21, 2010

This hotel is graded as a 3.5* but in my view, it is way better

Its a small hotel of 11 floors in Taipei city, nearest metro station is Shuanglian station on the Taipei Metro network. From Taoyuan Int'l Airport, you can take an Evergreen shuttle bus which goes direct from airport to a bustop outside the hotel. Look for the various bus counters upon at the arrival hall.

Deluxe Room was spacious, bed was king-size and it has the nice gestures like free slippers and newspapers (not expected for a 3* hotel) On the ceiling of the room, they also paste nice glow-in-dark stickers of stars and moon which lights up when the room lights are off, quite cool!!

Breakfast was simple Taiwan fare of porridge and small dishes, not a big buffet but very homely feel to it. There is a Dente coffee joint near the hotel which serves great coffee and american breakfast. Next door have a dumpling stall, a must-try!!

Most impt, for a holidaying couple or family on tight budget, the costs will not blow you away, its good value for money

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank RalphSingapore
Reviewed December 1, 2009

My husband and I live on an offshore island in Taiwan, and stay at this hotel nearly every time we go to Taipei. It has all the amenities a hostel won't give you, for only slightly more money per night. The staff are very friendly to us, and most of them are competent in English to help with questions. The rooms are impeccably clean. It is very convenient to the Shuanglian MRT station, as well as the Evergreen and Ambassador Hotel Airport Bus stops. It is also relatively close to the Songshan domestic airport. The free breakfast is simple, but tasty. We've had trouble accessing the Wifi in our room, but now we just bring our ethernet cord and it works great. We always stay in the Superior Single room, which is great for us, but might be small for travelers with lots of luggage. Also note that if you order an extra bed (for the deluxe single room), it is not actually a bed, but just a palette on the floor. Nearby restaurants worth trying are the dumpling store right next door, as well as the hand-chopped tomato beef noodles a couple doors further down. Overall, this hotel is a great option for budget travelers looking for a clean, comfortable place to rest after a full day of sightseeing.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sla17
Reviewed September 26, 2009

Pros:
*Close to Taipei Main Station (2 stations away by MRT)
*Hospital right across the road, and police station around the corner
*Lots of cheap places to eat nearby
*Coin-op laundry within 5 minutes walk from hotel

Cons:
*Single room was v v small - we stayed in one with the wooden floor, and keep tripping over the raised floor as we come into the room
*Our room (602) was near the firestairs - can get a bit noisy at night, especially during Friday and Saturday night
*There was no floor divider between the shower and the rest of the bathroom, so essentially the bathroom floor was flooded after each shower
*Keys were used to open doors (as opposed to swipe cards), which had to be handed to the counter should you wish to have your room serviced

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Qoo01