“Nice neighborhood”

Beitou Hot Spring
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Yangmingshan National Park and Hot-Spring...
Ranked #35 of 589 things to do in Taipei
Reviewed April 22, 2014

The spring itself is just a big very acidic, very hot pond. The pavilion which was build and used by the Japanese was nice but not too memorable. The neighborhood is quite nice and walking around there was much more interesting than the hot springs

Write a ReviewReviews (2,034)
All reviews
"nice walk"
"walk around"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed April 22, 2014

On the northern outskirts of Taipei, after a short Metro journey, you will come to the famous Beitou Hot Springs at Xinbeitou. I had enjoyed all of my stay in the Taiwanese capital, and spent my final day in the country heading out to the hot springs of Beitou.

Although the name can cover a far broader area, when people mention the Beitou Hot Springs they usually mean the immediate vicinity around the Beitou Waterside Park, such as at Quanyuan Road and Zhongshan Road in Xinbeitou, and this is where I visited to see the famous sights. Xinbeitou itself is known as ‘new’ Beitou as this was an area specifically developed as a luxury hot spring resort during the Japanese era (1895-1945). Although it got ran down a little in the 1950s and 1960s, it is now a lush and verdant area with luxury hotels and a good quality of life for the locals. It is also a popular tourist hangout for a day when located in downtown Taipei.

The Taipei Metro Red Line will get you to Xinbeitou Station, and from here you can enjoy everything on offer at the nearby YangMingShan National Park, as well as the Geothermal Valley in Beitou (also called Hell Valley), and the Beitou Hot Springs Park proper, which are the main places of focus. However, there is much more in the area than just hot springs and geothermal activity, although it was actually these hot springs that brought me here. As I walked around Beitou I could definitely smell the sulphur. In fact, the etymology of the name “Beitou” comes from the Ketagalan Aborigine word “Kipatauw”, which literally means ‘Home of the Witches’, which is presumably down the steam that rises from the lakes here giving off a certain witches cauldron kind of image?

I found the scenery around the Hot Springs Park very lush and green. It is hard to believe that such a place exists so close to the sprawling concrete jungle that is Taipei. There are also many food vendors around Beitou, both in town, and in the actual park itself. Some were selling snacks, and others were selling fancier items such as oyster omelette. However tempting it may have been, I decided not to eat on my trek around the park, and saved my appetite for when I was back in Taipei, as my hostel had a lot of free food in the kitchen! That said, there were many families around Beitou Hot Springs Park who were enjoying the atmosphere and taking a dip in some of the public pools here. The ethnicity of these people seemed to be Taiwanese or Chinese, with at least two generations of their family present, which proves it is a family affair here at Beitou.

Along Quanyuan Road, there are public hot springs in streams within the park in which everybody can dip their feet. It is obviously not deep enough in which to swim, but a nice paddle was what I did and the water is indeed very hot, but not unbearably so! There are of course real luxury hot springs which you need to pay to enter, and in this regard the Beitou area is a bit like Hakone in Japan, where it is more for affluent people and those with a bit of disposable income, rather than for the poor people like me!

3  Thank BackpackerLee
Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

I took edison tours to get here. I was unsure about the hot springs before I left but actually enjoyed it. Bring a camera too because there are soo many oppertunities to take photos. When bathing you may be put off by the smell so take deodorant.

1  Thank Peter D
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Beitou was nice enough, but not all it is rated to be by the other reviews here. It is not in the country side, but just suburban Taipei, with plenty of traffic and tall buildings around. We didn't stay the night or go to the public springs for dipping but we did walk the paths and see the thermal spring itself. Its a fine day trip but not such an amazing nature event as we had thought from some of the other reviews.

1  Thank chefcrsh