“NIce area”

Private Day Tour: Discover North Coast Of Taiwan From Taipei Including Lunch
Ranked #8 of 560 things to do in Taipei
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Embrace nature and flower gardens with a picnic or leisurely hike up the rolling hillsides of Yangmingshan. The park is accessible by public bus.
Citrus Heights, California
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“NIce area”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Many families come here to enjoy the surrounding of this family friendly park. There are hiking trails, gardens, water falls, and temples that leads you to some awesome views of the city. It was a nice day in early Feb. and not that crowded. It takes over an hour to get there from Taipei and if it was not for my Granddaughter who goes to school there, we would not have been able to get there by ourselves. It takes several MRT and busses to get you there from Taipei, and if you are not familiar with the language and bus system, it could be a challenge. You have to take note of the times of the bus as it is limited and crowded. We were fortunate to be able to take the last bus down. I don't know how other people would have gotten back to town. Guess they have to call a taxi. A taxi would be a preferred choice and not that expensive if you're not familiar with the transit system. My family enjoyed our day at the park. Note: Be sure and carry toilet paper (as in most places in China) bring hand sanitizer, and learn how to "squat".

• Chinese (Traditional) first
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“The bus system”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Like many have said before, it is difficult to find a ride down the mountain during the peak hours. We went on the 4th day after the Lunar New Year, and the weather was georgeous and we took a taxi uphill to a place called 擎天崗 (chingtiangang). There was a very nice circular walk that's about 1 -1.5 hours - perfect for our family of 2 kids (aged 4 and 7). We then walked downhill to 冷水坑 (lengshuikeng).

Let me explain the details of the bus system here: there are two main buses that pass through either of these stops - Minibus 15 or Bus 108. 15 runs from Jiantan MRT station all the way to Chingtiangang, and the whole ride is 45 min to 1 hour. Lengshuikeng is the second to last stop on this line.

Bus 108 circles inside the Yangmingshan area mainly, but does take you to the main bus terminal at Yangmingshan as I was told. This is where you can find connecting transport to other destinations.

As we went on a public holiday during the Chinese New Year week, a ride back to the city was hard to find. There were no taxis around, nor did we manage to get one through car service. We waited almost 2 hours at Qingtiangang in a very long queque before we managed to get on the last No.15 bus at 6pm back to the city. The bus had about 25 seats, and probably another 20 standing (all squeezed in very tight). There were at least another hundred people behind us on the line and I am not sure how in the end they managed to get back to the city. No. 15 runs at 20-30 min intervals and there was NO additional buses running during the holiday week.

A hard lesson learned - Yangmingshan is really scenic on a fair weather day but please plan ahead for the ride home. Catch a bus early or arrange for a car for the day.

3 Thank Laura Z
San Francisco, California
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“pretty but be prepared”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

This review is based on my trip last year. I will admit, my tour of the flowers was very beautiful. I have a fond appreciation for nature and the efforts to bring this treasured attraction to tourists. However, there are several things to watch out for.

It is insanely crowded at times. I could not even take a picture without random people walking through it. As a result, I have no picture of it without strangers in the background.

It was quite the car ride, so if you plan to spend a decent amount of time here, bring a snack, bottle of water, etc. Also, the restrooms in the park are poor. They are unsanitary, and there is no soap to wash your hands. In addition, there is no privacy. I stood outside waiting for my family to finish using the restroom, and I could wave Hello to each one of them through the window in plain view, all while they were eliminating their bodily waste products.

I also witnessed several people practicing Tai Chi or some similar exercise among the trees. This did not bother me, but I wondered how they could focus while dozens of tourists are surrounding them.

Because there was so many people, I noticed the grounds were becoming polluted. Sad.

Visited March 2012
Penang
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Incredible Flower Season”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

The day i been there , they having open ceremony for flower season. There are many different types of flowers and it was beautiful. The weather is quite cold up there. please wear thicker sweater when go to YangMingShan. The bus driver told us that on March will be even more flowers.

3 Thank Mikage88
Hsinchu, Taiwan
129 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 207 helpful votes
“I Love Yangmingshan!”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

What I really love about Yangmingshan is that I will be in the throes of bustling Taipei and seven minutes later I'm in nature.

Visit the "dorment" volcano. Take a hike up one of the dozens of trails. Bring a camera and capture some natural shots, and scenic views of the city below.

The weather can change abruptly so be prepared.

Keep an eye out for the calla lily festival where you can go pick your own flowers. Also note that early spring has spring blossoms.

Visited August 2012