“Definately a YES - Location, Convenience and Value”
Review of San Want Hotel

San Want Hotel
Ranked #95 of 571 Hotels in Taipei
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Definately a YES - Location, Convenience and Value”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I was in seach of the Hotel with little spacious rooms a decent gym, wife and breakfast included within my company allowance. So this place was suggested by my patron.

Positives:
- Location: City Centre, with High end and Budget shopping, restaurents and MRT station at walking distance
- Staff: Very Friendly, Quick and Helping
- Rooms: Spacious, with some snacks n coke free, all toilettories availabe in bathroom with nice shower and bath tub
- Gym: Small but well equipped facility
- WIFI: Nice Speed but not accessible on ground floor lobby

Little hitch:
- Frequented by big native tourist groups, so becomes noisy at times
- Breakfast spread is limited and monotonous (very less continental options)
- The street gets lot of traffic during office hours, at times we took 30+ minutes to cover 300 meter stretch

Overall it is a pretty decent place to stay for family or business traveller.

Room Tip: See if you get rooms towards front/road side for a little view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 5 nights.

As soon as the taxi stopped at the front of the hotel, a couple of porters approached, one opening the taxi door for me and the other taking the luggage from the 'boot' of the taxi. I was promptly given a receipt for the number of luggage I had and directed to the 4th floor to check-in. The check-in was fast with very efficient and friendly staff. Our luggage is delivered in our room less than 5 minutes of us being in the room.

We were in the inexpensive superior room. The room is very spacious and the bed comfortable. The toiletries are impressive that includes sewing kit, razor and shaving cream, comb, toothpaste and toothbrush, shower cap, shampoo and many more.

I also enjoyed a relaxing bath almost every night. Not many hotels have bath tub especially for the price I paid for the room.

Breakfast – The variety of food in the breakfast buffet was impressive. There are fruits, sandwiches, and a lot of hot foods.

The hotel is a couple of minutes away from the metro (train) station so very handy to go around.

TIP: If you are visiting Taipei and not sure of places to visit, I recommend that you get a ‘Taipei Metro Tourist Map’ available at any metro (train) station. It is free and contains information on places to visit in Taipei. If you are into food like me, I recommend Shilin night market for delicious and interesting food.

Room Tip: If you are visiting Taipei and not sure of places to visit, I recommend that you get a ‘Taipei Metro...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FrChAKL
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I arrived at 7am (from San Francisco), this is the only hotel that we checked among a few that would let me check in charging only half price - the other wanted a whole night of payment. The location is a delight, got to see the young and vibrant side, many eating places are 24 hours. A short walk around the block is the famous eslite 24 hours bookstore, perfect for jet lag folks. Some say the decor is not hip, but hey, they bed is firm, room is clean and functional, who needs hip.

Clean my jeans in a few hours and nicely placed on my bed ... I would always want to stay here next time I am back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 3, 2013

If you are looking for a modern, classy place this may not be the best place for you, but if you want clean rooms with a lot of space and a great price I would suggest you give them a try.

There is absolutely nothing modern about the rooms. Everything does have a very 70s hotel feel to it, from wallpaper to furniture to the box TV on a swivel. … you’re starting to get the picture here. There is free wifi but the signal and signal strength is not good at all areas. Other than that it’s a decent place. The rooms aren’t huge, but they are plenty spacious.

If there’s one thing I like about this hotel, location is key salient point. Just a few minutes walk, you will find lots of restaurants, shopping malls, and one of Taipei’s most famous night market (Rao He) is just a 15 minutes taxi-ride away. The mass transit station which connects to major tourist sites is a stone’s throw away such as the Sun Yat sen memorial. There’s even a 24-hour bookstore nearby. You will never feel lonely in this area.

Having said all that, it’s time for this hotel to join the 21st century & update the product and improve it’s wifi. This is the true truth as I say it as it is…

(www.perfyi.wordpress.com)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank pauljer
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I was in Taipei for work and stayed at the San Want for a week. I agree with a lot of the folks on here. The hotel was nice, but had a few minor drawbacks.

Pros:
*Great location (close to 101 and TICC)
*Really good breakfast
*Very friendly and helpful staff
*decent TV channels
*friendly cleaning personnel
*reliable wifi

Cons:
*The room was nicely sized, but the bed took most of it up. I more comfortable bed (even if a little smaller) would have been good.
*I was too tall for the shower. They had one of those nozzles that detaches and is on a handle. Every time you turn off the water, the handle would jump out of its holster and hit the ground loudly. I tried to remember each time so I wouldn't bother anyone, but you're never expecting that to happen.
*Very poor sound isolation. There were people (assuming two) across the hall from me. I could hear every "noise" from my room.
*I had a view of the side of another building. My boss had a view out the back, which was much nicer. I'd recommend one that faces out the front of the building.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for business over a twelve day stretch. Room 1116. All things considered, is is a nice hotel with friendly staff, clean rooms and great location. The cleaning staff was superb when compared to just about every other place I've ever stayed. I work from the hotel room quite a bit, and it's always a challenge to get cleaning service that works around my schedule. I had no such problems here. When I left the room, I hung the "cleaning requested" sign on the door and upon my return--usually after no more than an hour--the room had been cleaned. Not sure how it happened, as I. Never saw anyone enter or leave the room, but it was quite impressive.

Other pro's about this hotel:

- after 12 days, the free breakfast got old, but for shorter stays it would be nice. A large selection of food.
- you can borrow an umbrella from the hotel if you forget yours.
- some of the friendliest staff I've ever encountered
- location. Just a couple of minutes from the MRT
- free wifi for guests
- one of the quickest elevators I've ever used. Very little time spent waiting.

Some oddities (though not exactly negatives):

- registration is on the 4th floor. Drop your bag with the bellman downstairs who will direct you to the registration floor. My bag arrived in the room soon after I did.
- small, windup alarm clock in the room. I never used it, but it was always working, so I assume the cleaning staff wound it each day.

And the not-so-good:

- the bed is very hard. I've heard this is standard in Taiwan, but haven't stayed anywhere else so cannot verify that.
- the rooms on the inside of the hotel have windows, but face an empty courtyard. If you want a view, pay extra for on outside room that faces the street. If I could do it again, I'd pay for the upgrade.

Overall, a nice place to spend a few days or weeks. I'd rate it 4.5 stars if I could but can't quite round up to 5 for this one. The bed and the inside view count for too much.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Steve H
Singapore
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I have always stayed at this hotel during my business trip to Taiwan. Location wise, it is very convenient as it is just 3mins walk to the MRT. (Zhongxiao Dunhua MRT station)

Hotel is located at the Zhōngxiào East Rd. Lots of eateries and shopping around.
The room is average. Beds are quite hard and amenities are nothing fancy. But given the price i pay, i expect a more comfortable room.

Breakfast is so-so. standard continental fare. Given a choice, i would try other hotels.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business