“Good first hot spring experience at Spring City” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Spring City Resort

Spring City Resort
Ranked #184 of 565 Hotels in Taipei
Singapore
“Good first hot spring experience at Spring City”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

My group of 6 - 2 elderly and 2 young kids (3 and 5 years) - was visiting Taipei for the first time in early Oct. I researched the web for a hot spring which was family-friendly, clean, permits swimwear and hopefully not too expensive. Found Spring City and I'm glad we made the trip. I didn't make any booking - just walked-in. I chose the outdoor spa (NT800 per adult, unlimited time - we stayed about 1.5-2 hours at the resort in the end). Kids below 140cm get in for free.

My two little boys, who had their first taste of hot spring (soaking their feet!) by the riverside on our way up to the Resort, were apprehensive at first, but left with all smiles on their faces. The adults enjoyed it too, although some pools were a tad too hot (for amateurs like us, I suppose). There are 9 different pools with different 'themes', but 2 were closed when we were there. No complaints from us, cos we stayed most of the time in the two pools which were about 38 degreeC. It was also not crowded with only about 8 to 10 others in the compound. The female locker rooms were clean, neat and spacious, and everything (big and small towels, slippers, 'shower cap') is provided in a little carry-basket - so you can just bring yourself.

A small shuttle-bus ferries the resort's guests to Beitou and XinBeitou MRT station every hour or so, but the resort staff will remind you to 'reserve' your seat beforehand by informing them of your intended departure time, so it's important to take note of the time as you enjoy your soak in the hot spring. It's amazing what a good soak in the hotspring can do - My boys fell sleep on the MRT train on our way back to Ximending at about 6+pm, and slept through till the next morning without dinner. :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank plhuang

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong, null, Hong Kong
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

First of all, Agoda stated that Spring City Resort is a 5-star hotel. I would however only give 3-star max to it because the photos online are so much nicer!

For the size of hotel room, I booked a 4-person family room with tatami. The room was extremely small which can only fit in extract 4 tatami. You don't even have any space afterward! Lucky we only got 2 luggage...oh btw, when checked in, the guy told me my tatami room was "upgraded"....interesting huh? lol

Regarding to hot spring which is the whole point of a hot spring trip, it is so poor. I do admit I have high standard gained from Hokkaido hot spring. There are 3 kinds of hot spring in this hotel: private, outdoor, and inside hotel room. For the outdoor one, there is only ONE above 40 C hot spring. The 3 others are 38-39C hot spring. There is 1 cool water pool. I expect to have a 0 C pool. The size of pools is all small but a lot of touring group come here for a day hot spring. Imagine a pool can only fit in 5-6 people only.......Also the pool is clean once a month only while the turnover is so high......omg=.=''

For the service of hotel, it is soso...We asked the hotel to hire taxi for us which should be arrived in 10 mins, so funny that later another couple got a taxi earlier than us! Also, when having hot spring, the counter could give adults a pair of kids size sandals....=.='' and it took so long to exchange a larger pair...so "well trained"

The hotel is clean on the other hand.

Overall, this hotel don't worth the value of money. We paid like TWD 7900 a night. With this amount, we can get a nicer hot spring hotel.

Stayed there Nov 5th, 2012.

A 26 years old kid with parents.

Room Tip: Just don't book this hotel!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Taipei hotels

Gainesville, Florida (home of the Gators!)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

Overall I was happy with my experience here, but I felt they made it very complicated to get a room, get a meal and, above all, get a soak in the spa. The menu was exhausting of different options. Still, once the choice was made, well worth it.

As for dinner, that was really nice. Very cool the way they served an almost raw piece of steak on a HOT rock and let it cook in front of us!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank johndfffff
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

We were supposed to go to AP Resort, but we were shocked that it closed down already! :( There was no signage or warning whatsoever from their official website nor from Tripadvisor that it had closed down already. :( So we went to Spring City Resort instead.

Came here with a friend during our first day in Taipei last August 1, 2012. There was a typhoon, so it was really a whole new experience soaking in the hot springs with the winds blowing and soft rain pelting our faces. Nevertheless, we enjoyed it and got really relaxed, before we pushed off for Shih Lin Night Market.

Don't get shocked if you see grayish-green water. That's really the color of the hot springs. We stayed in the outdoor hot springs area for about 2 hours.

TIPS:
1. Unless you've enough energy to hike to the resort, do take a cab. It's more convenient, especially if you're tired from the trip and/or pressed for time. Hiking all the way to this place will take you more than an hour on a leisurely pace (not my style, hehe).

2. If you do take a cab, get the Chinese name of Spring City Resort AND write down the address of the resort IN CHINESE (Mandarin). I think Spring City Resort's official website has their address written in Chinese, so you can also take a snapshot of that and show it to the driver. Most cab drivers don't speak English and they won't understand where "Spring City Resort" is. Luckily for me, my friend speaks Chinese, so our cab driver was able to take us to the resort with no problems. This is a good tip when opting to take a cab in Taipei. Prepare the address of venue in Chinese (and directions if you can) ahead of time.

Cab fare was about NT100-150. (The cab fare prices could change by the time of this posting).

3. Once at the hot springs area, do wear your showercap that the resort provides for you. I had the mistake of washing and soaking my hair with the spring water and THE SULFUR SMELL STAYS for 3 days even if you wash your hair 2x per bath. (And I take a bath 2x a day). Bleh.

4. Take note of the shuttle service TIME/SCHEDULE that will bring you back to the Xin Beitou train station.

5. The outdoor hotsprings area has a water cooler available, so you can rehydrate yourself when you feel light-headed from the spring pools. They also have this "Cleopatra bath" area where the water is cold, so you can cool down your temperature.

6. The outdoor hotsprings pools have different temperatures and different means to massage/relax your body. You press this button (usually located) at the entrances/steps of the pools and it activates a particular "massage" for the body. (If you're from the Philippines, it's like Ace Water Spa).

I say that if you haven't gone to the hot springs, this is a must-do, must-see activity/place. It's really an experience and it will rejuvinate you. My friend had a headache and her head cleared after a relaxing hotspring spa treat. :)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank Kirielsilverleaf
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

Nice hotel with spacious room size for deluxe double room, indoor and outdoor hot spring service provided. If you have family with elderly and children, can consider booking their quad room Japanese style futon, very nice experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

Our family stayed there for one night on Jul 20.  The hotel was about half an hour from Songshan airport by taxi, which cost about NT360.   The service was good. They upgraded us to two very nice Japanese style suits which were next to each other because we had two young children and one elderly.  The outdoor hot spring was good. There were about 7 different kinds of pools. My children (1.5 and 4) enjoyed them a lot.  The breakfast was adequate.  They provided high chairs.  The place was popular among HK tourists.

There wasn't much around the hotel. They had shuttle service but we didn't use it. We took a taxi to Shilin night market which was a 20-min ride. I found the hotel staff not very knowledgeable. I asked them how far Shilin night market and Yanming Mountain were away and they told me an hour when they were actually just 20 mins away by cab.

Room Tip: Book through their hotel website and you can get very good deal.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

During our time in Taipei we decided to book a night at Spring City Resort in the Beitou District. The hotel is approx. 15 minutes from the main station which is a quick getaway from the hustle and bustle of the city to the relaxed hotsprings, the area offers many hot-spring hotels and accommodation. We found Spring City resort, which we would like to add looks very different from what we saw on the internet and travel shows. The images on the website looks fresh, clean and modern and larger than what it actually was. It seems that the up-keep and maintenance of the property seemed a little dreary, not very well maintained. The room furnishings was a let down and we booked a Superior Room, just seemed outdated and old, also the sulphur from the outside area managed to enter the vents of the bedroom so it left a pleasant smell in the room at night. The Spa facility was okay, had a better spa experience in Bali to be honest. The spa is not directly linked with hotel so you have to walk with your robe across a street to get there. The Chinese restaurant was good, overall good service from waiters and the food was excellent, the restaurant made our evening enjoyable. I would definately recommend that you visit as a day visitor, it is better than the less private hot spring resorts in Beitou that caters for local day visitors, Spring City charges slightly more for day visit but for this I would say it is worth, the overnight was a slight let down as hotel was not up to scratch.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple