“Good hot-spring experience”

Spring City Resort
Ranked #197 of 576 Hotels in Taipei
“Good hot-spring experience”
Reviewed April 25, 2011

We didn't booked a room at Spring City, instead we stayed in Taipei ans made our way down to Xin Bei Tou for the hotsprings.
Didn't have anything places in mind, so we basically looked at the signs and go with our gut.

Spring City Resort was indeed a long long walk up. Luckily, it didn't disappoint us after our long walk.

We walked straight in and asked about the hot spring facilities, and to our surprise, there was a package available that combines a lunch and additional top-up for the hotspring. The price was very very attractive and we took it.

The Japanese themed lunch was great with up to 5 courses and we headed for the hotspring. We were provided slippers, towels, shower cap, a robe and locker.

There are many during dips available for you to choose from and you can spend a few hours there, relaxing.

Overall, it was good.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bluedell88

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
New Jersey
Reviewed April 4, 2011

We visited Spring City for a two hour stay during the holidays. The room cost NT$3000 for a small bedroom with a TV and adjoining private hot spa baths. There are two tubs, one with sulfuric water and other with a "milk bath" that pumps "oxygen-rich ions" into the water, turning it creamy white.

While the baths met expectations, a number of small details definitely did not. Bar soap is not provided, and instead guests are given "bath gel" with an overpowering perfume odor. There are a few bottles of water provided free of charge but if you want to drink from a cup, all you'll find are 2 glasses next to the sink in the bathroom - not the brightest idea with the slippery stone floors all around. The room itself is bare and, aside from 2 pineapple cakes, there is nothing special to help make the visit memorable. Finally, there is a separate parking charge of NT$100. When I called from the room to have the car ready before we departed, I was told this was impossible. It is the first time I have encountered this at a hotel with valet parking. In general, service at Spring City simply does not have the cheerful quality you expect in most hotels in Taiwan.

If you do visit Spring City, be sure to head up the hill to see the culture museum housed in a converted Japanese property. It is very well maintained and gives a good glimpse of Beitou history, even from the outside.

Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Hong Kong
Reviewed December 31, 2010

We feel disappointed at Spring City Resort's customer service and room management, given the good reputation praised bt the media. We arrived at 2ish but surprised the check-in hours only allowed at 3pm (and check-out next day at 12 pm). Firstly, most of the international standard to check-in should be 2pm. Secondly, the concierge altitude is very unfriendly, inconsiderate, and unwilling to listen. Highly NOT recommended.

Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Connie524

Travelers are raving about these Taipei hotels

Reviewed December 3, 2010

Facilities are quite old and worn out. However the plus point is that you can have the hot spring in the hotel room with complete privacy. There is also an outdoor hot spring which is nice. Free internet access with LAN cable is a plus point if you need to check some e-mails etc. I would only recommend this hotel to people who enjoy hot spring.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank sengkt
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 12, 2010

I came here after a glowing review from a relative, who said it was comparable, if not better, than another spa resort that we had just visited. I read all of the reviews on tripadvisor before booking, and I got really excited for what I thought would be a day of luxury and relaxation. I was looking forward to the outdoor spa that everyone spoke glowingly of. It seemed the only thing that could dampen the experience would be overcrowding, and I was prepared to deal with that.

Boy, I couldn't have been more wrong.

For the prices they charge and their self-proclamation as a high-end resort, I was shocked by how stingy they were and how dirty their facilities were. It all started fine enough. We got picked up at the metro station by the big van at the scheduled time. Driver was courteous and check-in was fine too. But once we headed over to the outdoor spa, that's when it all went downhill. We went to the outdoor spa desk to check-in and get our spa supplies. We were given a large towel, a small towel, and cheap, worn, muddy sandals (buried underneath the "clean" towels".) We asked if we could get another large towel (is it too much to ask to have a clean towel to use after showering, especially since the given towel is draped over muddy sandals?), but were given a lot of grief over it. Finally, the attendant warned us severely that we could have one, but that it would be documented and that they would be watching us closely to return it. Fine. Then we go up to the locker area. There were a couple of stray cats using the changing room as a shelter. They romped all over the place, shrieking away. I was not thrilled as I have cat allergies, but sucked it up. Next, I tried to open the locker, but it was jammed. Ran down to the attendant to try to switch keys, but she insisted on fixing the locker she assigned me, as I waited. Saw her jimmy the lock with a pair of plastic scissors, and voila, open. Not reassured about the safety of my possessions. The attendant then remembered that she forgot to give me a plastic bag to store my wet clothing for later. When I asked for another plastic bag for my friend, I was denied. Again, the attendant gave me a really hard time and wouldn't budge, saying that we came together (never mind the fact that we're different sexes, in different locker areas, and got separate rooms, thereby paying what 2 people coming separately would've paid...) But even if it weren't for the stingy attendant, the facilities were enough to ruin my expectations. The locker area was nothing like what I expected from a high end resort. Cheap, plastic lockers. Dead mosquitoes squished in the shower stalls. Poor lighting, poor ventilation. It was just damp and seemed like no one maintained it. The spa area itself was also nothing to write home about. The view was pretty nice towards the back, but the different spas were nothing special if you're a frequent spa-goer like myself. Again, I had a hard time enjoying myself because of the dead ants and mosquitoes I saw floating in the water. Yes, it's an outdoor spa, but somehow other outdoor spa resorts I've been to have managed to solve that problem. Lastly, and I just HAVE to point this out because it is just ludicrous. Anyone else find it ridiculous that they keep their flattened paper cups in a homemade contraption using the sawed off top of a 2L coke bottle? I mean, seriously? For a luxury resort, you can't get a paper cup dispenser? Or even just a paper or plastic box with a lid?

In the end, my problem with Spring City Resort had nothing to do with the crowds. In fact, I went on a really quiet day (there was just my party and 2-3 other families). But I was so disappointed with my stay. Perhaps the place would be better suited for families with young kids that have lower expectations. I'm sure kids might find this fun, just to have lots of different pools to splash in. But for an adult with any sort of standards, I don't think this would amuse anyone.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
6 Thank aphroditegrl
Reviewed July 25, 2010

This was recommended as the best place in Beitou for Hot spring. The room is cozy, a little small though. Breakfast is good, a lot of healthy food and greens. They are many different hot springs here to spend your entire holiday detoxifying. The whole place is beautiful, has a Zen feel with nice trees and fogs( from the steam) , very good for relaxing. For me, i cant stay in the hot water for more than 10 min, so i didnt really use their facilities too much. Good for couples

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Singapore
Reviewed July 19, 2010

After reading the reviews on this site we booked one night at the Spring City Resort. Based on the various internet reviews which told us that one has to go there with an agenda we reached there all geared up to hit the place and try everything. When we reached the hotel, (mind you I am using the word hotel and not resort) we were quite taken aback. It is one small 6 story building, with 7 small hot spring pools outside. They have a club house with a Gym and swimming pool but children are barred inside the swimming pool. The hotel supposedly has private hot spring pool for which you have to pay extra. Since kids were not allowed in them we did not try it. Also to enter the club house which houses the Gym and Pool one has to pay extra.

The rooms are small but nice and adequately furnished. The bathrooms have a small (with enough place for one to sit only) sunken place which they call private hot spring bath.

Finally, if you speak very little or no Mandarin, this resort is not a place to go. No one, apart from one staff member at the front desk speak English. Even the instructions in the room is written only in Chinese. We live in Singapore, and I speak basic Chinese but I struggled to explain to the waitress at the breakfast table that we want fried eggs. I did not even bother to explain that I want them well done.

The breakfast was inadequate. There were not even omelets on the menu. Its was much skewed to Sino tastes. My husband and I are very open to different cuisines but we could not find much at the breakfast buffet. In the evening we were told that the restaurants close at 9 PM so we didn’t try the dinner also, though we wanted to try the Japanese food which is so much written about. We thankfully headed to the Shilin night market for dinner where we had some decent food without having to tear our hair off trying to explain basic stuff to the service staff.

So in a nutshell at almost US$ 150 plus service charge I am sure there are other options available. The hotel definitely does not cater to families with children also it is teaming with day guests and so the hotel guests are left jostling with several others. I will definitely not go back.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family