“Next time stay longer!”

Ranked #5 of 243 Taipei B&B and Inns
Shanghai, China
“Next time stay longer!”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

It's a bit hard to find even for someone like me who have visited Taipei many times. Despite that downside, I am glad I found this place. It's very chill and different. Though Taipei is too hot and sweaty, I don't like airconditioner and I can sleep with my windows open without being annoyed by the passing cars on big streets. And I love the fact that they are not "fakely professional." There is more of a human touch in this space. If you travel long term like me, it's highly recommended to check their official website for some nice deals. When I stayed, there was buy three get one free for weekdays and that's a good deal for me.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank sophime

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I was dragged here by my girlfriend (now fiancee) when we were in traveling in Taiwan. At first, it sounded like a terrible deal: She described it as a small, old hotel hidden in some alley far from downtown Taipei. But when I got there, turned out to be a hidden gem.

We ended up staying for three evenings. It was as charming as it was small, and the sort of place I would have never discovered on my own.

Highly recommended if you're looking for an offbeat retreat.

Disclaimer: Definitely not the sort of place I'd stay on a business trip. If you're thinking Four Seasons, I'd recommend somewhere else.

Room Tip: The stairs were steep, but we had a room on top floor that we enjoyed a lot. Bed super comfortable a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 10, 2013

At the first place, I chose this place because a friend's recommendation. Through her description, I wasn't sure what I will be getting because It doesn't sound like a regular inn. After staying there for three days, I realized it's definitely not your regular bed&breakfast. More precisely, it's really like a home in Taiwan. Every time I approached the staff for help, they were friendly and patient. I could freely use the simple kitchen, and all the common area. I used them to write my diary and grab a beer with friends after a tiring day visiting the city. I like how quiet and natural it feels, which is the feeling that's not so easy to get in Asian cities. I enjoy the feeling of going back to my secret base everyday. The inn is in the northern part of the city. With 5-10 minutes walk, it's easy to reach Beitou metro station and that's what I use to get around the city. Thank you all. You know I will come back soon as promised.

Room Tip: 1. Feel free to use all public areas because rooms are small (Probably because it's preserved fr...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank paulaction
Singapore
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I recently stayed at this little hidden gem tucked away in a small alley in the hot spring town of Beitou (just outside Taipei). I had planned my road trip down the east coast of Taiwan and Beitou was to be the first stop where I would meet up with my friends from other countries before setting off down the coast. By arriving a couple of days earlier than the rest, I gave myself a chance to to explore this charming little town.

Solo Singer Inn was the perfect place to stay. Not only did it provide an experience of what it was like in the past, with its well preserved furniture and fittings, but it also was a quiet little place of respite where I could unwind from the faster pace of life that I had become accustomed to back in a big city. I took the top floor room closest to the common living room that opens out to the open air balcony. I was told that all the rooms had been designed by local artists and that my room was the work of a local novelist. That was clear to see as my charming room had walls that were lined with books and inspirational photos taken by the author.

One of the great things about Solo Singer Inn is the staff. As I made the final arrangements for the road trip, they were always on hand to give advice and to help make reservations for me as my Mandarin had become a little rusty over the years. When I wasn't planning the trip, they pointed out cool palces to visit, whether it be the local market place for a bite to eat, the artisanal coffee shop around the corner, or a nice place for a jog in the later afternoon.

Overall, this is very much an ideal base from which to explore Beitou. It's a different experience, akin to a boutique hotel (but more honest to its local roots), and will provide the traveller looking for something other than a generic tourist hotel a pleasant surprise.

2 Thank Ben G
Hong Kong
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I spent one night at this boutique hotel with my friends late May, before we started our week long driving trip down the east coast of Taiwan. The place far exceeded any of our expectation. After pushing our luggage through small alleyways that our taxi could not drive into, we were welcomed to a warmly lit living room decorated with furniture from the 50s and 60s serving as the "reception" of this little gem of a hotel. While sipping tea and browsing through the many local magazines and books, the gentle reception staff checked my friends and me into our rooms, each one designed by a different local friend of the owner (if I remember correctly, a mix of writers, artists and teachers). The rooms are relatively simple but they are all very clean and comfortable, and you can feel the personal touch of the owner and the decorator in each of the rooms. There are also two great common areas - my friends and I chatted over drinks in the alcove on the ground floor in the evening and had breakfast in the living room on the top floor next to the roof garden (simple but delicious local food from nearby restaurants rather than the standard hotel fare). All in all a lovely experience that differs from the flashy modern fashion boutique hotel or luxury hotel chains. The sleepy neighbourhood is great to explore on foot. There are good coffee shops and snack stalls nearby. Get the staff to explain to you the interesting history of the hotel and the glorious past of the town. Great for a short stay.

Room Tip: Each room differs in size and decor. Some "single" rooms are relatively small. There is...
1 Thank MikTHK
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Every room has its own style, simple and clean. I like the ramdom breakfast they provided from the neiborhood, it surprised m e and tasted good. The only problem is that it's not so easy to be found, but I think that's why makes it so quiet, which is the point that I like the most. I strongly recommend it.^^

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank AlbertLee1126
Reviewed July 13, 2013

It is just like a warm home with great hospitality and a wonderful fusion of the modernity and the past.
Actually we were going to find a hotel with hot spring, but accidentally came to this boutique hotel. They story of this hotel is very enchanting. The small alley resembles Hudong in Beijing. You will never have a chance to savor this beautiful lifestyle from the past of Taipei if you are not staying in Solo Singer.
The location is kind of hard to find and a little bit far from the city center, but I think it is definitely worth it if you are looking for an unique experience of the "real" Taipei.

Room Tip: the room at the 3rd floor is awesome and very closed to the public balcony
2 Thank cat428