“Beitou Beauty”
Review of Solo Singer Hotel

Solo Singer Hotel
Ranked #4 of 258 Taipei B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I recently stayed at this little hidden gem tucked away in a small alley in the hot spring town of Beitou (just outside Taipei). I had planned my road trip down the east coast of Taiwan and Beitou was to be the first stop where I would meet up with my friends from other countries before setting off down the coast. By arriving a couple of days earlier than the rest, I gave myself a chance to to explore this charming little town.

Solo Singer Inn was the perfect place to stay. Not only did it provide an experience of what it was like in the past, with its well preserved furniture and fittings, but it also was a quiet little place of respite where I could unwind from the faster pace of life that I had become accustomed to back in a big city. I took the top floor room closest to the common living room that opens out to the open air balcony. I was told that all the rooms had been designed by local artists and that my room was the work of a local novelist. That was clear to see as my charming room had walls that were lined with books and inspirational photos taken by the author.

One of the great things about Solo Singer Inn is the staff. As I made the final arrangements for the road trip, they were always on hand to give advice and to help make reservations for me as my Mandarin had become a little rusty over the years. When I wasn't planning the trip, they pointed out cool palces to visit, whether it be the local market place for a bite to eat, the artisanal coffee shop around the corner, or a nice place for a jog in the later afternoon.

Overall, this is very much an ideal base from which to explore Beitou. It's a different experience, akin to a boutique hotel (but more honest to its local roots), and will provide the traveller looking for something other than a generic tourist hotel a pleasant surprise.

2  Thank Ben G

Reviewed July 25, 2013

I spent one night at this boutique hotel with my friends late May, before we started our week long driving trip down the east coast of Taiwan. The place far exceeded any of our expectation. After pushing our luggage through small alleyways that our taxi could not drive into, we were welcomed to a warmly lit living room decorated with furniture from the 50s and 60s serving as the "reception" of this little gem of a hotel. While sipping tea and browsing through the many local magazines and books, the gentle reception staff checked my friends and me into our rooms, each one designed by a different local friend of the owner (if I remember correctly, a mix of writers, artists and teachers). The rooms are relatively simple but they are all very clean and comfortable, and you can feel the personal touch of the owner and the decorator in each of the rooms. There are also two great common areas - my friends and I chatted over drinks in the alcove on the ground floor in the evening and had breakfast in the living room on the top floor next to the roof garden (simple but delicious local food from nearby restaurants rather than the standard hotel fare). All in all a lovely experience that differs from the flashy modern fashion boutique hotel or luxury hotel chains. The sleepy neighbourhood is great to explore on foot. There are good coffee shops and snack stalls nearby. Get the staff to explain to you the interesting history of the hotel and the glorious past of the town. Great for a short stay.

Room Tip: Each room differs in size and decor. Some "single" rooms are relatively small. There is...
1  Thank MikTHK
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Every room has its own style, simple and clean. I like the ramdom breakfast they provided from the neiborhood, it surprised m e and tasted good. The only problem is that it's not so easy to be found, but I think that's why makes it so quiet, which is the point that I like the most. I strongly recommend it.^^

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank AlbertLee1126
Reviewed July 13, 2013

It is just like a warm home with great hospitality and a wonderful fusion of the modernity and the past.
Actually we were going to find a hotel with hot spring, but accidentally came to this boutique hotel. They story of this hotel is very enchanting. The small alley resembles Hudong in Beijing. You will never have a chance to savor this beautiful lifestyle from the past of Taipei if you are not staying in Solo Singer.
The location is kind of hard to find and a little bit far from the city center, but I think it is definitely worth it if you are looking for an unique experience of the "real" Taipei.

Room Tip: the room at the 3rd floor is awesome and very closed to the public balcony
2  Thank cat428
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I wasn't sure where I was headed when I boarded my taxi. In fact, the taxi driver himself seemed rather concerned and perplexed that he couldn't find the place. It wasn't until I wandered down the small alley that lead to the hotel that I felt like I had entered a tranquil oasis. Here the past comes alive as the hotel staff have taken care of every detail to preserve the history of the space and meld it with their concept of giving it life as an artistic space. Each room is a masterpiece and each moment spent there is to be cherished. This is not your average bed and breakfast. You will likely never forget your stay there. Thanks to the incredible staff who were kind and extremely helpful.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Kartikeya S
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Solo Singer Inn is well located in a non-touristy area that has lots of restaurants and local eateries. It's only a five-minute walk from the metro which will get you anywhere around Taipei.

The staff couldn't be nicer and more helpful. They always had a smile and were eager to make our stay memorable. They are exceptional and go out of their way to make you feel like friends. They don't even wait for you to ask questions. They ask you what you need, where you'd like to go. When it was time to set out, they would help you plan your day wisely and give you directions on how to use the metro to find the way. When you returned after a long day of sightseeing, they also recommended places to eat within a few blocks of the hotel for dinner.

Our room was a bit small, but bright and charming with a nice comfortable bed, and a nice bathroom. There were always little snacks and coffee in the common area, it makes you feel appreciated. They have a great Taiwanese breakfast every morning - would highly recommend Solo Singer Inn.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank trickmiu
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I really had a great stay in Solo Singer. I stayed their for four days. Beitou is a very nice part of Taipei and close to Tamsui and Shilin night market. The hotel has a great atmosphere and the staff is very friendly.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple