“Don't lost temper when enjoy staying a 5 stars hotel”

The Okura Prestige Taipei
Ranked #32 of 585 Hotels in Taipei
Reviewed March 29, 2013

They are politely to help you check-in, staff at front desk welcome you by words but seems not from heart sincerely. Most of things you ask when denied, they say "this is the hotel rule".

I checked in 7F suit, glad to see balcony, soon feel sad the door locked. Funny thing is that you need to sign up a "Form of Discharge" before they open the door of balcony:

The Form of Discharge:
" I, ___ holder of ID or passport number ___ presently residing at The Okura Prestige Taipei room numer ___ request on my own accord, to open the window in this room from ___ to ___.
I understand that the hotel does not bear any liability in case of an accident or any damage to my belongings. I alos acknowledge that i will be held fully responsible for any damage (because of rain, bad weather conditions etc.) to the furnishings in this toom due to my request of opening the window."

The escape equipment installed in balcony. The one of two only escape stairway located end of corridor also locked, per hotel, you can not open until hotel put the alarm system on. I decided not to open and take a risk of own life staying in the room without balcony door unlock. After that, hotel put a fire extinguisher outside my room door close to the escape stairway (which other follor did not equiped).

Midnight, you will enjoy noise from the aircon next building. My wife cannot sleep and call for help on any solution. Answer from hotel stuff: "you hearing the noise becasue you have abnormal sensitive of sound, normally our customer won't complain ..." We insist change room, later, we got allow change room 01:30; after settle everthing down, my wife and I enjoy losing sleep until 03:00.

Room Tip: Don't take 7F room with balcony, don't take those west side rooms close to the police statio...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank JSHER2
Write a ReviewReviews (1,106)

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I can fault the huge comfortable rooms, hotels professional service, fantastic restaurants at this hotel.. but I can fault a hotel policy for departing earlier then your original departure date... business travellers departure dates can change frequently but this hotel does NOT let you change your departure date on the same day and will charge you an extra night. (you have to pay for not staying)... I have never heard such a policy and certainly not a business friendly "policy" for 5 star hotel.

This policy turned what was a fantastic stay into an angry customer upon check on...

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
28  Thank HKB2011
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed at Okura on the recommendation of a Taiwanese friend, and were blown away. The staff were very friendly and accommodating - Taiwanese people are always friendly to begin with, but Okura staff were just so warm and helpful all the time, living up to the 'Japanese standards' of courtesy and hospitality. When I went to the hotel bar the second night, the wait staff remembered what I had the night before, and asked if I wanted the same drink even before I had settled into my chair!

The rooms were really great too. The hotel is very new (less than a year I understand). My room, which was a basic ('standard') room, had all the creature comforts such as automated WCs, a TV screen inside the bath, and a rain shower with the works.

And the best part was the price, which was amazingly reasonable. Before booking, I researched on 5-star various hotels including the W, Le Meridien, Shangri-la etc. The Okura was significantly cheaper than all of them. And based on my experience (having stayed at a number of 5-star hotels worldwide), I can safely say that the Okura is at least comparable, if not far better, than most of them.

My only negative comment, which is an admittedly minor one, is that the baby cot provided was not great quality. Both my wife and I felt that the mattress was very hard (was there even a mattress?) and even though they tried to line it with a soft comforter, I don't think it could have been more comfortable for a child.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank zenith42
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I stayed here on a weekend trip to Taipei. The hotel is very new and consequently very clean and well maintained. The room was large and as good as any I have stayed in. The staff were also very professional and helpful (e.g. they would write things down in Chinese to help us with taxis).
The location seemed pretty good - though it is a bit hard to say as I am not that familiar with the city, and Taipei is quite spread out.
We ate at the buffet restaurant on the 2nd floor for Sunday lunch. Beware - you need to get in there quite early as they remove the food at 2pm! The food was good, though not spectacular. I would like to try the other restaurants.
A dining tip: the Regent Hotel next door has a very nice steak restaurant.
Overall this is an excellent place to stay in Taipei and I will return.
One frustration: because I had booked on Agoda (rather than directly) the receptionist would not let me claim the points on the Okura reward card I had when I stayed in their hotel in Amsterdam a few years ago (a shame as this is the only Okura I had stayed in recently).

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank PatrickSH
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Booked the Premium Prestige Room Hollywood Twin Bed for two nights. After staying at the Leofoo Residences with separate living room, bedroom and huge bathroom, we first are well prepared to stay a room a bit smaller at The Okura. However, the premium prestige room is huge ! My kids can play with their puzzles and books on the wooden floor and still we have rooms to walk around. The wooden floor is nice with carpet used around the bed.

The twin beds is comfort and again huge.... All in all, the area is affluent with separate toilet and bathroom. Even though my younger one slept on the crib, the bed fits two adults and two kid with no problem. Broadband, coffee machine, TV....... DVD player.... all in good condition as you would expected from Okura.

Appreciate their after checkout arrangement that we can access the Health club. Kid can take a rest before leaving the hotel. Satff at lobby, front desk and concierge is very helpfully. But further training for non up front staff may be needed, for example staff at buffet area and room services. Nice if hotel can extend the breakfast time a bit during the full booking LNY period!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank SukLing
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights over Chinese New Year and were very pleased with our choice of hotel. We had a standard double room which was a good size, well decorated and had a very comfortable bed. The sliding partitions between the bathroom, entry area and bedroom are a good idea which added to the sense of space in the room when they are kept open.

The rooftop pool is a decent size, good enough for laps and heated so that you can swim during winter, unlike a number of other hotels which shut their outdoor pools during the cooler months. The health club has a good spa area with a jacuzzi, cold plunge pool, sauna and steam room, as well as a separate relaxation lounge should you wish to rest for a while.

The staff were very helpful in helping us to book restaurants for dinner as several of the places we had wanted to eat were closed due to the CNY holidays. The bar just off the lobby was also good for drinks before heading out for dinner.

The hotel is only a short walk from to Zhongshan MRT which has a couple of Mitsukoshi department stores on top of the station. There are also other shops, eateries and coffee shops all near by the hotel. On previous trips we have stayed at The Sherwood, Far Eastern Shangri-La and W Hotel, and were concerned that this location would be somewhat out of the way, but did not find this to be the case.

As we did not eat at the hotel, the restaurants are not considered in the rating.

My only grievance with our stay is that we were kept rigidly to a 12 noon checkout due to high occupancy over the holiday period.

When we next return to Taipei, we will stay either here or the W Hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Hoj_in_HK
Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

A new hotel collaborated with a fomous Okura Hotel in Japan. It is coveniently located in the shopping area. The room has everything state-of-the-art except pajamas. The staff are very friendly and helpful. You will need to stay at least 3 nights to try every bit of buffet breakfast consisting of Taiwanese, Japanese and American foods. Highly recommended.

1  Thank ABBAlover