“Can't recommend it enough!”

The Okura Prestige Taipei
Ranked #26 of 582 Hotels in Taipei
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed at Okura on the recommendation of a Taiwanese friend, and were blown away. The staff were very friendly and accommodating - Taiwanese people are always friendly to begin with, but Okura staff were just so warm and helpful all the time, living up to the 'Japanese standards' of courtesy and hospitality. When I went to the hotel bar the second night, the wait staff remembered what I had the night before, and asked if I wanted the same drink even before I had settled into my chair!

The rooms were really great too. The hotel is very new (less than a year I understand). My room, which was a basic ('standard') room, had all the creature comforts such as automated WCs, a TV screen inside the bath, and a rain shower with the works.

And the best part was the price, which was amazingly reasonable. Before booking, I researched on 5-star various hotels including the W, Le Meridien, Shangri-la etc. The Okura was significantly cheaper than all of them. And based on my experience (having stayed at a number of 5-star hotels worldwide), I can safely say that the Okura is at least comparable, if not far better, than most of them.

My only negative comment, which is an admittedly minor one, is that the baby cot provided was not great quality. Both my wife and I felt that the mattress was very hard (was there even a mattress?) and even though they tried to line it with a soft comforter, I don't think it could have been more comfortable for a child.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank zenith42
Write a ReviewReviews (1,077)

Reviewed March 4, 2013

I stayed here on a weekend trip to Taipei. The hotel is very new and consequently very clean and well maintained. The room was large and as good as any I have stayed in. The staff were also very professional and helpful (e.g. they would write things down in Chinese to help us with taxis).
The location seemed pretty good - though it is a bit hard to say as I am not that familiar with the city, and Taipei is quite spread out.
We ate at the buffet restaurant on the 2nd floor for Sunday lunch. Beware - you need to get in there quite early as they remove the food at 2pm! The food was good, though not spectacular. I would like to try the other restaurants.
A dining tip: the Regent Hotel next door has a very nice steak restaurant.
Overall this is an excellent place to stay in Taipei and I will return.
One frustration: because I had booked on Agoda (rather than directly) the receptionist would not let me claim the points on the Okura reward card I had when I stayed in their hotel in Amsterdam a few years ago (a shame as this is the only Okura I had stayed in recently).

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank PatrickSH
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Booked the Premium Prestige Room Hollywood Twin Bed for two nights. After staying at the Leofoo Residences with separate living room, bedroom and huge bathroom, we first are well prepared to stay a room a bit smaller at The Okura. However, the premium prestige room is huge ! My kids can play with their puzzles and books on the wooden floor and still we have rooms to walk around. The wooden floor is nice with carpet used around the bed.

The twin beds is comfort and again huge.... All in all, the area is affluent with separate toilet and bathroom. Even though my younger one slept on the crib, the bed fits two adults and two kid with no problem. Broadband, coffee machine, TV....... DVD player.... all in good condition as you would expected from Okura.

Appreciate their after checkout arrangement that we can access the Health club. Kid can take a rest before leaving the hotel. Satff at lobby, front desk and concierge is very helpfully. But further training for non up front staff may be needed, for example staff at buffet area and room services. Nice if hotel can extend the breakfast time a bit during the full booking LNY period!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank SukLing
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights over Chinese New Year and were very pleased with our choice of hotel. We had a standard double room which was a good size, well decorated and had a very comfortable bed. The sliding partitions between the bathroom, entry area and bedroom are a good idea which added to the sense of space in the room when they are kept open.

The rooftop pool is a decent size, good enough for laps and heated so that you can swim during winter, unlike a number of other hotels which shut their outdoor pools during the cooler months. The health club has a good spa area with a jacuzzi, cold plunge pool, sauna and steam room, as well as a separate relaxation lounge should you wish to rest for a while.

The staff were very helpful in helping us to book restaurants for dinner as several of the places we had wanted to eat were closed due to the CNY holidays. The bar just off the lobby was also good for drinks before heading out for dinner.

The hotel is only a short walk from to Zhongshan MRT which has a couple of Mitsukoshi department stores on top of the station. There are also other shops, eateries and coffee shops all near by the hotel. On previous trips we have stayed at The Sherwood, Far Eastern Shangri-La and W Hotel, and were concerned that this location would be somewhat out of the way, but did not find this to be the case.

As we did not eat at the hotel, the restaurants are not considered in the rating.

My only grievance with our stay is that we were kept rigidly to a 12 noon checkout due to high occupancy over the holiday period.

When we next return to Taipei, we will stay either here or the W Hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Hoj_in_HK
Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

A new hotel collaborated with a fomous Okura Hotel in Japan. It is coveniently located in the shopping area. The room has everything state-of-the-art except pajamas. The staff are very friendly and helpful. You will need to stay at least 3 nights to try every bit of buffet breakfast consisting of Taiwanese, Japanese and American foods. Highly recommended.

1  Thank ABBAlover
Reviewed January 17, 2013

The hotel is new and very comfortable with extremely attentive service from the staff. If you want to stay in this part of Taipei (in the heart of the shopping area and closer to some of the tourist attractions), then this is the place to stay. The rooms are very interesting. At first glance, it looks like the bathroom opens up right into the bedroom, but upon closer inspection, there are a series of sliding doors which allows one to break up the room into four distinct compartments - foyer, toilet, bathing area, bedroom. This flexibility allows one to change the look/layout of the room as desired - rather unique/interesting. Hotel was not rated excellent as the room service menu was limited and for business it is not terribly convenient as it is a bit removed from the Hsinyi and Dunhua South office areas.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank John G
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed 2 nights in the Okura Prestige and had a very comfortable stay. The hotel itself opened just this past fall, with spacious rooms and high-tech amenities. The bathroom is designed nicely with a glassed off separate shower and bathtub which includes a television in front of the tub. There is a smaller room with a TOTO electronic toilet and sink as well. All room functions including lighting and even the drapes are controlled electronically at the bedside. The staff in the hotel, from the front desk to the concierge staff were all kind, polite, and most spoke fairly decent english. The location is also great, right next to the subway and mall and a night market about a 10-15 minute walk away. Overall, it was a great stay and we would recommend this hotel highly.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple