“Average hotel, nothing outstanding!”
Review of The Riviera Hotel

The Riviera Hotel
Ranked #41 of 571 Hotels in Taipei
London
“Average hotel, nothing outstanding!”
Reviewed June 4, 2010

I expected something pretty exceptional to be rated so highly on trip advisor, but was sadly dissapointed. We stayed a week. Better priced than some 4-5 star hotels, but expensive for what you got. Paid extra for executive room, but this was very small. The desk was in a little foyer type room and the bedroom at the back, divided by a small hall & the bathroom. Bathroom was small & had a bath/shower combo. An adequate room, but nothing fantastic.

Yes staff were friendly, but I found people in Taiwan generally to be very friendly & willing to help whenever needed. I wouldnt say the staff went out of their way anymore than other places I have stayed. The door man offered us an umberella one day, but at breakfast we had to ask several times for a coffee refill.

The biggest let down was the appauling roof area. Despite their website photos, there is no running track anymore. To get to the roof terrace, you get the lift to the 7th floor, find the fire escape, go through a heavy, metal door, up steep fire escape stairs, then out another heavy metal fire door. Watch you dont trip on the raised flooring or the slippery stairs when wet.

Once you find the outside (which is where the 'gym' is) you have a choice of 2 loungers or a table with chairs to sit at. All of which are metal and have no cushions. This area could be so nice. A bar with drinks in the evenings & snacks or even just comfy chairs to sit on. A pool would be better, but thats pushing it. The rest of the space is taken over by a 1 foot high dirt 'garden'. The so called garden is bordered by concrete blocks & filled with small plants. There are stepping stones to presumably walk around this area- but why would you? Its awful. Such a waste of space. The air conditioning coolers are open for everyone to access & many things to trip over. Certainly not child friendly, esp with the concrete blocks everwhere.

Good:
-Generally rooms were clean, although the glass on our window had marks from someone elses face when we arrived- it never got cleaned in 7 days!
-Let us check in 4hrs early
- Room had little touches: shoe shine, iron & board, full length mirror, newspaper- but again nothing, out of the ordinary
-Despite seeing planes flying past the window ready to land, we only heard them when the TV was off, & even then, soundproofing was good.

Bad:
-Poor lighting in room at night
-Got woken at 10:30pm by reception checking if we were going on bus the next day, which we werent
-Buffet breakfast adequate, but not outstanding
-'Executive garden' is indoors, no fresh air,a few plants in pots, a few tables & chairs & a poor little parrot in a cage with no toys/greenery/bells etc. No wonder it had pulled out most of its feathers!
-Paperwork in room desk had tariff rates from 1998- not only is the decor outdated!
-10min walk to MRT but plenty of taxis around
-Never got wake up call we asked for- luckily had set own alarm
-only 3 pillows in room (for a double), all of which extremely soft- housekeeping had no others

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank dalton1skiing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Central Valley, CA
Reviewed May 30, 2010

Why pay for a five star hotel in Taipei when the Riviera is there? Especially for a business traveller, it's the best. Good food and choices on their buffet at all meals.
A few years ago, the cook couldn't manage to get my eggs done the way I liked them, on the third try they were close enough. One of the other staff finally explained it, and on the following days they were perfect. When I checked out, there was a gift and letter from the hotel manager given to me. Wow! Totally unexpected and unnecessary, but appreciated. When I returned several months later, I noticed that next to my name was a note on how I liked my eggs cooked. Door staff has helped me to know the right cab fares to keep me from getting ripped off. There are other examples of personal service that others have mentioned in their reviews, I have also experienced some of the same ones. For me the location is great because it is within walking distance of my company's headquarters.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank nice2stay
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 30, 2010

I travel a lot for business and have stayed in all kinds of hotels - five star resorts, family run pensions, you name it. The Riviera reminds me of the many independent mid-size hotels you can find throughout Europe - usually family run, a bit idiosyncratic, but with a warm hospitality that's usually lacking in the big chains and trendy designer hotels. To me this level of personalized hospitality is the most endearing feature of the Riviera. It isn't the newest or certainly most impressive hotel in Taipei, but it feels honest, authentic and cozy, and the staff take genuine interest in their guests' well-being.

The only negatives that I can really think of are the location at the far north of the old business district and the unusually situated rooftop workout center. The Riviera also lacks a pool and the breakfast buffet won't win any awards (although the bread was great). As another reviewer pointed out, the hotel is not going to impress colleagues, either. But I find the rooms to be impeccably clean, very comfortable and roomy, and the little quirky details like the 7th floor "executive garden" (complete with fountain, potted plans, wicker furniture and chirping bird) to be utterly charming. More practically, the Riviera also offers free wireless internet and HBO, an in room DVD player, iron and ironing board, bathroom toiletries, daily newspaper, etc.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank voito
Den Bosch, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 28, 2010

Great hotel, not very showy like the some of the 5* hotels in Taipei but very comfortable and that is what is important for me when I travel to Taipei.

I took ill with the flu and the cleaning lady and even the front desk lady were so kind and caring and made sure i had quiet and plenty of water. This is service.

When in Taipei, and if you don't need to show off to a supplier or client or friend that you are staying at an expensive 5*, the Riviera is one of the best for value and service.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank WSS64
California
Reviewed February 26, 2010

I would stay here again without a moment's hesitation. I would recommend this hotel to my friends, family and colleagues. It was extremely comfortable, clean and satisfying in every respect. The quality of the service and the staff's attitude were absolutely outstanding. My wife and I were extremely pleased with the experience, including the breakfast choices, quality and service. And as far as location: maybe it's a great location after all. It was my first visit to Taipei and I didn't have my bearings, so who's to say, maybe it was right where you need to be.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Lincolnshire
Reviewed February 26, 2010

We stayed at this hotel from feb 19-23 2010. A last minute booking this place needs to keep itself a secret for people like me who want 5* attention at less than 4*prices!
We were upgraded free of charge just after asking for a bigger room, breakfast was inc.
The staff were so attentive - better than some 5* hotels we have stayed at. Close to the subway- also we used taxi's- always at the door- and on the free hotel bus we went to Taipie101 (do not miss it).
Overall a very pleasant surprise, this hotel is working hard for it's customers.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
North Carolina
Reviewed February 24, 2010

I stayed here for a week in March, 2010. Everything was perfect and sparkling clean. The bathroom was well stocked with toiletries, good cable tv, free wifi throughout the hotel, free English newspaper outside my door every day. The breakfast buffet, including its made-to-order egg station, also had fresh bakery specialty breads among many other things.

What really set this place apart was the service. Every employee greets you with a smile and goes beyond their duty to assist. By the second day of my stay, the restaurant staff remembered my name, room number and coffee preferences. Really, absolutely an outstanding staff in every respect.

I used the business center as a conference room all week. It is fully equipped with small conference rooms, white boards, PC's, printers, etc. And I used the fitness center (so-so). Last night I enjoyed listening to the live piano player in the lobby.

Absolutely will be back to this hotel in Taipei.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business