“Grand but outdated hotel”
Review of Grand Hotel Taipei

Grand Hotel Taipei
Ranked #67 of 570 Hotels in Taipei
Singapore, Singapore
“Grand but outdated hotel”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Grand hotel is a very popular among the politics,ambassadors,ministers,celebrities from all over country.Even korean celebrities Bek Yong Jun and our Singapore Lee Kwan Yew stay here during their summit meeting. Exterior of the hotel were gorgeous,grand and idyllic worth to vist this place as we were told interior of this hotel all build accordingly to Feng Shui.Refurbish is require in order to attract more guest and the rate is not cheap.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Donetsk, Ukraine
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I havent sleep there I was there in 2011 for Farewell Banquet with SAYTAIWAN project. Its GRAN. LUXURY, EXPENSIVE, PERFECT organization of our banquet. From small thing you can see its great hotel. I evaluate all hotel from their rest room and toilet. It was clean with nature flower and small one-off towel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Would not recommend in the slightest unless you enjoy 1960's style decor, moldy and stained carpet and peeling paint. Huge, uncomfortable furniture in all of the bar areas that does everything it possibly can to ensure that you have to shout to be heard by anyone you are with. There was live Polka playing loudly in the bar area. The buffet is very very ordinary indeed, tasteless and not of great quality, while the tables and fittings were like something from a terrible school cafeteria - although very very expensive for Taipei. You could do SO much better for the money anywhere else here.

Still, it was very busy with Mainlanders, so I guess if you have never stayed in a nice hotel before, it appears great as it is full of cavernous open areas and huge areas of marble. They appear to have swarms of people flocking there, so I guess there is no reason to try to get this up to where it would even be rated three stars by any international ratings agency - and they would have to really work to get that.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank DavidTravellingOften
Abeokuta
Reviewed December 28, 2012

This is so grand in style, in experience. I enjoyed every bit of my stay here, except the fluctuating wifi.

I learnt visiting Heads of State do stay here, so I felt like I was an head of state for my 6 days stay there.

Another good thing about this hotel is- you find a good chinese restaurant in almost all wings of the hotel. I counted about 6 chinese restaurant!

Room Tip: Just reject the backyard wing; But, if its the only option, please do take it gladly!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Evanston, Illinois
Reviewed December 17, 2012

If you like peeling paint, worn out carpets, peeling wallpaper, and a room with no window...go immediately to the Grand. As an extra you can also try out hard mattresses. The vast property is wonderful with a history of 60 years but it is grossly under maintained.

Room Tip: You cannot get the standard windowless rom.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank sbp0713
Reviewed December 14, 2012

We stayed in one of their standard rooms, $120 cad per night. It was small, run down and no window but it was clean. After traveling for 20 hours I was looking forward to a shower and some sleep. We were woken up several during the night. Walls are paper thin. We could hear people talking and walking in the hall way as if they were in the same room, it was like trying to sleep in a transit station. Early in the morning we were in for treat as we heard our next door neighbor cough up a lung. Our stay here ranks at the top of my list for bad hotel experiences. Maybe getting a different room other then a standard would have been better... But at double the price or more it wasn't worth the gamble.

• Stayed December 2012
4 Thank Safaridog
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Stayed at the grand hotel in mid november 2012. Beautiful hotel and lives up to its name as you enter the lobby. Its a tourist attraction so theres hustle and bustle constantly. Its pricey even for the standard room with no window and a rather firm to hard mattress so i would suggest an upgrade. The toilets are a mixture of modern fittings with old plumbing. The rooms are old and could do with some fine tuning. internet at the lobby is free and good but in your room is quite expensive but reliable. The hotel is far from the main city but there are shuttle busses to the nearby train station. Food at the hotel is great! Try their dumplings. Its a nice stay at the hotel if your trip is paid for but probably better for a visit if not. there are some nice affordable hotels downtown.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business