“Not too bad at all, great location”
Review of First Hotel

First Hotel
Ranked #304 of 585 Hotels in Taipei
Reviewed July 15, 2009

The location was very convenient, just a five minute walk from the closest subway station which can connect you to the rest of the city easily. The room itself wasn’t too bad, pretty old, but comfortable overall.
Definitely don’t be fooled by the lobby. It gives the impression that the rooms are much nicer than they actually are. The staff are very friendly and accommodating, cleaning ladies bow and greet you as you walk down the halls and everything, so that’s very nice.
The buffet breakfast was ok, though we found food in Taipei in general was only just edible. The buffet has a huge variety of stuff though, so you can kind of pick out what looks edible to you e.g. bacon, sausage, eggs, definitely a no-go. The fruits, cereals, and toast were all fine. Like I said though, probably just standard for Taiwanese cuisine, so the hotel cannot be blamed for this.
The TV in the room was great, really large and plenty of viewing options. The amount of chanels on free to air Asian TV never ceases to amaze me.. there’s like 90 of them, and about 10 of them are English-speaking so that was good.
All in all, First Hotel is not Buckingham Palace, but a decent place to stay on a budget when visiting the city.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brigitta G

Reviewed May 1, 2009

The hotels top 2 floors have been renovated and are very nice. They include a flat screen TV, modernly tiled bathrooms with bathtub and separate shower, coffee/tea bar, mini fridge, cozy down comforter and fluffy pillows.

I got a chance to experience 2 different sides of this hotel as I had to move to one of the lower un-renovated floors and you feel like you have moved to a completely different hotel. The sheets were extremely starchy and scratchy, pillows were small and hard, all you got was a cheap fireproof blanker (like the ones on a plane) with an old school bed cover. The bathrooms were rediculously small with no counter space, the furniture looked like it once belonged to someone's grandmother and the TV was small and played the channels with constant snow. OH! And did I mention the RATS? I did not sleep at all the first night in this room as the fear of a rat falling on my head was extremely real. Our room was above the hotels restaurant and there was constant running around by the rats. Anytime I walked next to any of the vents the rats would get spooked and start rumbling around.

The Location is good, you will have to walk about 10 minutes to the nearest MRT but busses and cabs are abundant in the area. The walk to the MRT goes by real quick since there are a ton of shops to peek into.

If you decide to stay at this hotel make sure you are on the 9th or 10th floor. It's nice up there.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank JZK24
Reviewed March 29, 2009

The room was actually okay, quite large and spacious. Staff service was excellent. Unfortunately, they had bed bugs and we were bitten on our arms. Once we told the front desk, they organised to have the room disinfected and all the sheets changed the next day.

Be prepared to walk about 15 mins to the neareat MTR station - Zhongshan station.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Procraztinate
Reviewed December 7, 2008

I had a very good experience: The room was clean and probably recently renovated; amenities included hot water pot/coffee/tea, fridge, iron/board, hair dryer, wireless Internet (no extra charge), etc. I had a great city/mountain view. The service was good. There are lots of restaurants in the area including a Doutor coffee shop on the main floor. The closest MRT station is about a 10-min. walk away, but you can also take one of several buses to the station (Chung Shan station). I bought a 3-day MRT/bus pass, which cost NT$44 and was well worth it.
I'm happy to see so many negative reviews on this hotel because that will make it easier for me to book a room here next time.

Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank Tabigasuki
Reviewed October 11, 2008

This hotel was part of package tour that was booked. We were booked in for the 1st 3 days of the tour and the last day.

Room size was adequate. I am a basic traveller that requires a clean bathroom & room. No complaints about the room or bathroom - clean everyday.

On the last day of our tour, on check-in, we were told that due to the hotel being fully occupied, our room was upgraded. My initial thoughts was fabulous! Until I saw the bathroom. It was larger than the ordinary room size bathroom. But it had a grimy unclean feel to it especially with mould showing on the tiles, dim lights, low ceilings and red tiles. Highly recommend that you don't take a bath in the bath tub!!!

The breakfast was boring and almost (95%) the same everyday! If you're a fresh fruit person, only 1 type of fruit offered. Mainly it was unhealthy food served - fries, hash potates, pasta. In essence it lack variety & good nutrition!!

Location was not too bad, less than 5 mins walk to the bus stop. Small shops everywhere. The train station is about a 15-20mins walk away. There is McDonalds on the opposite of the road (if you're desperate in need of a burger) and a 7/11 store diagonally across the road. There is a great hair-dresser located near the hotel - turn right at front doors of hotel and cross (on the same side of the road).

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Thong_Joy
Reviewed September 17, 2008

We had 12 persons and booked 5 rooms through Cathy Pacific holiday package. There were 3 twin-bed rooms and 2 triple-bed rooms . However, the hotel arranged us 3 rooms each with 1 bed. Since we were colleagues, 1 bed sleeping 2 persons was inconvenient. In fact, one of the rooms was single room because there was one cup, one soap and one toothbrush in the room. So we requested to add extra bed in that room. But the staff said it was a triple room if extra bed was added. So we needed to pay extra NT$500 for 1 night. We stayed 2 nights, the total amount was NT$1,000. We were required to pay immediately, otherwise they would not give us extra bed. In fact, we signed 3 credit cards for deposits. If we didn't pay them, they could deducted the amount from our credit cards. I didn't know why they asked us to pay immediately and the staff were very impolite. We wanted to talk with their manager and a gentleman just walked to the counter. But I heard that man told them not to call him manager. Then the man walked away.

The hotel was old, the rooms were small and the staff were lack of smile. I don't know why such experienced staff in such old hotel can provide such poor service.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed November 12, 2007

Well, we booked through Priceline so we were stuck. The first room we were in had 2 leaks in the ceiling in the bathroom -- that usually means other people's dirty water -- so we were moved after the first night (we arrived after midnight the first day and just wanted to sleep.) The next room was much nicer and cleaner, but not clean enough to eat in -- felt rather grimy. The second room was right next to an elevator desperately in need of repair, and it kept us awake for the second and third nights. I'm a simple traveler -- I look for clean, basic rooms and rarely use ameneties when I'm in a hotel (in a city -- if I'm at a resort, it's completely different.) I'll stay in Best Westerns or Etap type places -- so I don't expect much. Just a nice clean room where I can sleep. I didn't get either at the First Hotel, despite paying over $80 a night for it on Priceline (bid). I bought some snacks at a nearby 7-Eleven but didn't even want to eat them in the room. It wasn't disgustingly dirty, just grimy enough to make me uncomfortable eating there.

The location wasn't too bad -- in between Zhongshan and the Nanjing East Rd. subway stops, with a bus that sped us in either direction (discounted with the Metro Easy Card.)

If they renovate, I'd stay there again. If.

• Stayed: January 2005, traveled as a couple