“One of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed in”

Evergreen Laurel Hotel
Ranked #100 of 568 Hotels in Taipei
Sebastopol, California
“One of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed in”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Wow, what a room. Beautiful, clean, comfortable, spacious and elegantly appointed. The double sinks seemed to be gold plated. No kidding. This was definitely one of the nicest rooms I have ever stayed in although to be honest I usually don’t stay in this nice a place. Although I was there only one night so have limited experience, I found the staff exceptionally friendly and helpful. Depending on what you are doing in Taipei it may or may not be well located but it is a stop on the route of the airport transfer bus so very convenient and why I stayed there that one night. A bit expensive for my budget but, if not for yours, then I highly recommend the Evergreen.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My first encounter with Evergreen Laurel hotel stay was in Penang. I was satisfied so I did not hestitate to choose the same hotel chain during my visit to Taipei. It did not disappoint me. In fact, it surpassed my expectation. The room and toilet were clean. The surrounding was quiet. The bed was comfortable. The aircon control was responsive. The range of amenities supplied was impressive! The breakfast spread was the best I ever seen at the hotel rate I paid. The hotel is about 3min walk to MRT station. It is only a few stops away from Ximenting, Taipei Main Station and Taipei City Hall. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I stayed at the Evergreen Laurel Taipei for about four nights and was generally pleased with the experience. However the hotel can make some improvements, especially with regards to its internet services and other service issues. Furthermore, one of the reasons I booked this hotel is because I am an Evergreen Club member (EVA Airways's frequent flyer program), but note that if you book via an online intermediary (e.g., Expedia / hotels.com / etc), the hotel will not give you miles for your stay (this is what I was told when I checked-in) - you apparently have to book directly through the hotel for mileage accumulation. In any case, see my list of pros and cons below:

PROS:
1. Location -- the hotel is located very close to the Taipei Metro's Songjian Nanjing Station (about a 5-7 minute walk from the hotel). This made it very easy to get around all of Taipei. In addition, the hotel offers free parking for guests. There is also a 7-11 convenience store right next door to the hotel, so you can easily stock up on snacks and beverages.
2. Breakfast and drink vouchers -- my room rate included free breakfast for each day of my stay. I found the breakfast to be really quite good -- it was a comprehensive buffet with Chinese and Western options, including made-to-order eggs (upon sitting down, the servers present you with an eggs menu, and you can tell them how you would like your eggs, and they will serve them to you when they are ready -- this was quite nice as you did not have to wait in line for your eggs). In addition, I got free drink vouchers (for coffee or tea) upon check-in for use in the lobby cafe for each day of my stay. This was a nice touch.
3. Quiet, clean, and good-sized rooms -- the room was spacious and clean. Bathroom was also clean, and as some reviewers have already commented, was nicely appointed and designed.
4. Fruit and newspapers -- a plate of fresh fruit (bananas, apples, kiwi, and oranges) and a newspaper were both delivered to my room daily. This was a very nice touch. Quick tip regarding the fruit -- I couldn't finish all the fruit one day and so kept some fruit on the plate, intending to eat it the next day. The staff actually took away the plate and replaced it with new fruit. It was very kind of them to do this, but if you wish to save the untouched fruit delivered the previous night for future consumption, do not leave it on the plate.
5. Value -- the price was very reasonable, and given the pros above, the hotel was a good value.

CONS:
1. Very poor wireless internet -- the hotel provided free wireless in rooms, which was certainly a nice touch. But free wireless wasn't helpful when the wireless internet itself was slow, or in some cases, not functioning properly. The connection was quite slow and rather annoyingly would drop every few minutes; I had to reconnect many times. This was frustrating and made it very difficult to work in my room as my internet kept dropping. The wireless internet in the lobby is a bit better. Hopefully the hotel can improve the quality of its wireless internet network.
2. Minor staff issue -- on the whole, the staff of the hotel was very nice, well-trained, and professional. However, the staff member checking me in was not very welcoming at all and did not even smile (although I notice other staff members checking in guests were indeed welcoming). I was not expecting a five-star welcome given the more moderate price of the hotel, but the hotel should ensure all its staff at least make guests feel welcome at the checking-in stage -- that is, after all, the first impression guests have of the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank BachIsGreat
Mumbai
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I stayed here for 2-3 nights in September 2011. The hotel is very clean and the staff are very courteous. What especially struck me was the room and the furnishings. They were so well maintained that it felt like new. The bathroom was also fantastic. The breakfast was good and themenu was quite well designed. The staff were very helpful and answered all my questions about the city. I would recommend this to anyone travelling to Taiwan.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We stayed in the evergreen laurel hotel from nov 21 throu dic 1 2012, great location and service, almost all the staff speaked english, the breakfast was good and you can order it to your room without extra charge, the hotel is decorated as a luxury ship with swarosky stones all over the ceiling and 24K gold bath amenities and super modern toilet! Overall a good hotel! I will come back.

• Stayed November 2012
Melbourne
Reviewed November 7, 2012

This is a good reliable hotel. Comfortable large rooms and beds. The congee was delicious and the breakfast was very good quality. It was also quiet and the staff very helpful. This is a quiet, no fuss hotel. All 11 of our tour group were happy and slept soundly which was good considering we performed to 8000 people with our show OperaCircus and Pot-Pourri!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Tania d
Freising, Germany
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed here for an entire week in a Deluxe Bedroom. The rooms are spaceous and clean. The bathroom is very nice with separate shower and jacuzzi. The huge and soft bed gave us sweet dreams. It needs to be mentioned that there is absolutely no noise at any time that disturbes you. A big plus.The cleaning of the room was excellent. All service personnel was always polite and helpful. The breakfast is quite disappointing for this class of hotel. Breakfast personnel could be a lot more active.The location is almost perfect. The MRT is just around the corner and there are numerous stores and restaurants in walking distance. Free WIFI is a plus.The TV channels need to be updated. 29 channels are a quarter of what we got in the TW outback hotels. All in all a superior hotel with cons that could be solved so easy...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple