“Good customer service”

Ranked #83 of 575 Hotels in Taipei
taiwan
“Good customer service”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

It's a timeless and beautifull hotel interior. Our room was medium sized, and the bathroom was overflowing with accessories and gels.

The Ambassador, from 01-Jan-2013, is no longer charging $400TWD for internet access. Rooms now have free LAN or Wi-Fi.

Also, on our stay it was our daughter's 6th birthday. She celebrated that by waking up with a high temperature and then being violently sick all morning. The staff at the front desk extended our check-out time from noon until 4pm, free of charge, so that we could stay on before catching our train. I was willing to pay the half-day rate for late check-out, so that was extremely kind of them.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Philip L, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Taipei, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you for staying at The Ambassador Taipei Hotel and taking your precious time to share your comments with us. We are glad to know that you like the room facilities and enjoy your stay with us. Your generous and kind compliments are highly appreciated and truly a great encouragement to us.
Once again we sincerely appreciate your encouragements and feedbacks so that we may serve our guests better in the future. We look forward to welcoming you back soon at The Ambassador Taipei Hotel.

Integrity. Team Work. Innovation . Social Responsibility

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 24, 2012

The Ambassador is in a very good location in the centre of Taipei. Dozens of restaurants, cafes, and shopping strips and malls, and therapeutic massage parlours are all within walking distance.

Hotel staff are friendly and speak excellent English. This is of great help in Taiwan where English (or anything other than Mandarin) is not widely spoken if at all.

Rooms are just, a bit on the smallish side. They are appropriate but not luxurious. Yet this shouldn't stop anyone from booking the hotel.

I did not try the breakfast as it was included in my rate.

One problem is the famous hidden internet charge. Having internet access is essential to any traveller. Yet the Ambassador not only charges you for the privilege but it charges you on a PER DEVICE basis. This means that if you have a laptop and an Iphone you must buy two separate internet vouchers. This is plainly wrong and the hotel should review it immediately. In fact they shouldn't charge for internet at all like most European, and Asian hotels. But if they charge (the cost is NT$400 - some USD$14.00- per day), they should charge the room not on a per device basis. I would recommend people not to book this hotel (particularly if you are travelling other than alone) until this anomaly is rectified.

Other than that, I would recommend the hotel for business and pleasure.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Philip_W_Y_Lee, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Taipei, responded to this review, December 26, 2012

Please kindly try to accept our sincerely apology for any uncomfortable experience which has been made during your stay in our hotel. We would like to offer complimentary WIFI from year 2013. Wish we can provide better service in the future.

Once again we sincerely appreciate your encouragements and feedback so that we may serve our guests better in the future. We look forward to welcoming you back soon at The Ambassador Taipei Hotel.

San Diego, California
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Spent 4 nights for a business trip. Very friendly staff though they were having a really hard time communicating in English. We were so happy to have found one person at the concierge, Gary, who spoke fluent English and he was like our guide for our entire stay.

We arrived really early into Taipei from LAX, at around 7am, and our rooms were not ready till 2pm, so I mentioned a spa visit to kill time and Gary arranged for the spa to pick up us in a shuttle and dropped us back at the hotel.

The restaurants are amazing here. We had their daily morning buffet breakfast at the Ming Garden and a dinner buffet as well. We also had a nice dim sum meal at their Canton Court. And their Sezchuan Court was equally amazing.

The decor is a bit dated for my taste especially the interior of the room. The bathroom reminded me of the 80's.

We were on a business trip, so we weren't spending much time in our rooms; we liked the convenience of all the different restaurants and it is centrally located.

On our last day, the hotel helped arranged a private tour for us as well. Overall great service; just lacking the luster of a 5-star international hotel ranking.

1 Thank GlobalTravelerM
Philip_W_Y_Lee, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Taipei, responded to this review, December 18, 2012

Abuja, Nigeria
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I checked into the 5-Star Ambassador Hotel, Taipei at about 12 midnight Taiwan time and the first impression I had was that I'm in for a swell of time here. The reception staff radiates extreme courtesy checked my passport, my reservation as well as my debit card. Once satisfied with my documentation processed them and used my card as guaranty against my stay.
At the lobby to take the lift up to my room on the 7th floor a familiar voice I've not heard in the last 10 yrs called out the name of my friend who was traveling with me and there was a re-union of sort. Then on entering my room I put on the TV to watch CNN and behold the TV welcome me with my name as if I trade mark the room to myself.
The facilities from the lift through the corridors to the rooms are all worthy of the value one is paying per night here. 2 standard beds, 1 pair of new pajamas, a pair of very soapy slippers and filled refrigerator with soft drinks ( for sale suspect) but there are other complimentary drinks also. The following day the hotel was generous enough to offer me a pressing table and an iron to straighten out my suits after they claimed that I needed to wait for 2 hours (time I couldn't afford), and these were never retrieved nor was I charged for it throughout my stay.
Unfortunately all the good things observe and actually felt and touched started evaporating into thin air about a day before my departure. it is not because the hotel is a bad one or all their staff are not friendly but because 2 of their strategic staff are grossly incompetent. One from the front office and the second the head of the house keeping. As I'm doing this review I'm still at pains because even though I checked out of the hotel on the 24th November 2012 the effect of what this staff did to me is still disturbing me.
I noticed after 3 night stay that despite putting a card on my bed that I don't want my linens changed or replaced in line with the hotel green policy I had new pair of bath robes and new pair of slippers in the room. I approached the front desk to complain and the staff told me that it is complimentary that I will not be charge for it, then I told the house keeping staff that I don't need those items she then packed them. The next day they didn't supply bathrobes not slippers and when I asked why they took everything away including the ones I used the previous night, what I got was an hand written note from the head of house keeping that if I need the bathrobe it will cost me TWD800 their currency. I was supplied one later but I got another note on the day I was to check out that says they have supplied me with 7 bathrobes and they can't find them I called their house keeper on duty to check the room because I don't have the bathrobes and she said she took them and kept them in a locker in the room and she brought everything out counted them and they were correct. They apologized but the damaged had been done to my integrity.
I checked out and they requested for my debit card processed it and issued me a PAID receipt and a POS receipt for NTS 39,440. Unfortunately, it's either the staff that checked me in and blocked that amount on my debit card was in error or the staff that checked me out was incompetent because he did not unblocked the funds while he still debited me with the same amount. As at today a week after I left the hotel I cannot access the funds on my card because I was debited again without releasing the blocked funds.
The question I kept asking myself now is 'which part of the English that I spoke with the staffs they didn't understand?'

Room Tip: All rooms are okay but tenth floor rooms are better
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
The Ambassador ... 台, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Taipei, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
We thank you for choosing The Ambassador Hotel when you visited the city of Taipei. It was our honor to serve and satisfy you in every way we could.

Thank you for your recent comment, we are deeply sorry for any inconvenience. We appreciate your enthusiasm and kindness for paying extra attention on this matter and providing us the opportunity to work with you. Thank you very much. We would like to have you again when you visit Taiwan again.

Abingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed for a week on business. My executive room rate included excellent buffet breakfast, and use of exclusive 11th floor lounge ( with "happy hour" free drinks between 1800 and 1900!!). Room was very well equipped, plenty of space, excellent bed, and spotlessly clean. I don't know if this level of service from staff is normal in Taiwan, but I have never been better looked after in a hotel , anywhere.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
We appreciate your recent stay with us. It was our honor to serve and satisfy you in every way we could. The Ambassador Hotel Taipei values your business and we will work hard to earn your loyalty. We invite you to come back and visit us again from time to time. In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact us for further assistance. Thank you very much for your consideration! We look forward serving you on your next visit.

Santa Clarita, California
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I stayed here for four nights. While the exterior and interior appearances may seem old and dated, once inside the doors, the service of the staffing is wonderful. Staff is courteous and helpful, my Chinese is limited, but the staff understands sufficient English to help me in may ways. I am most impressed with how polite and helpful the people are here in the Ambassador.

I believe floors 9-12 have been recently renovated. I stayed on the 8th floor, which was one of the original floor plans, it was functional and still modern for myself.

While there, we noticed that the President of Taiwan had come by for a visit with one of the guests! I don't who, but I was also impressed.

It is centrally located, the shops and eateries and mini-stores located just outside are terrific. Room rates are reasonable.

Room Tip: Try the rooms facing the pool
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Have just returned from three nights in Taipei staying at my favourite hotel in Taipei - my 16th visit there! As usual, I stayed in the deluxe double which represents very comfortable accommodation with everything that the travelling executive requires at a a very reasonable price. The Ambassador Hotel staff are always exceptionally helpful and hospitable. Of a wide range of dining facilities, the ground floor restaurant and cafe offer excellent cuisine with one restaurant specialising in an upmarket buffet. The more formal Szechuan Court Restaurant on the 12th Floor is an outstanding classical Chinese restaurant, and is highly regarded amongst the locals in Taipei - and you must try the Papaya and hot almond marinated dessert - a house special!

The Ambassador Hotel is centrally located to both the Main Taipei and MRT stations and upmarket shopping centres and conveniently located to most government and business offices. Whilst the hotel can arrange a limousine car for meeting guests at the airport, the hotel is so well known by taxi drivers, taking a taxi is fine, so long as the destination is identified as the Ambassador Hotel in Taipei, because there is also an Ambassador Hotel in Hsinchu.

This European style hotel is a most welcome change to the usual 5 star 'American style' establishment offering the best of Taiwanese hospitality and culture - to me ' a home away from home'! Highly recommended!

Room Tip: For the mainstream business or touring traveller, the Deluxe Double room offers exceptional value an...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Philip_W_Y_Lee, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Taipei, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Thank you for staying at The Ambassador Taipei Hotel and taking your precious time to share your comments with us. We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your generous and kind compliments are highly appreciated and truly a great encouragement to us.