“Very Nice, 5-star hotel”

The Sherwood Taipei
Ranked #50 of 587 Hotels in Taipei
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Beautiful hotel, very nice staff. They upgraded us to a suite upon arrival. It was my husband's birthday and they delivered a cake and nice card from the staff. Very attentive to details. Pricey, but located in a very nice area with lots of local restaurants within walking distance. We would definitely stay there again. However, do NOT take the Taiwan Bus Tour from the hotel (not part of the hotel, but the concierge can arrange). HORRIBLE experience with them...trying to leave a review for them to help travelers.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SJC_travel_gang

Reviewed October 29, 2012

During a business roundtrip through Asia I stayed one night in The Sherwood. It is conveniently located from our local Taipei office (2 blocks down). That is the reason I stayed there. For more action and for tourists a hotel more in the area of the "101" tower is maybe a better choice, although prices will be higher in that area. Breakfast was good and around €15. Service was good and personnel friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay in The Sherwood again. Although the meeting I had in the "W" hotel also made me curious to stay there at least once.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Sherwood is more a business hotel so when we travel on our own we normally look more at the price tag and Sherwood naturally is less advantaged than other budget hotels.

We first stayed at Taipei city for 3 nights at Dongwu a small boutique hotel at NTD3360 for 4 incl breakfast and wifi. We left for Hualien for 2 nights and couldn't find vacancy at Dongwu anymore and so looked for other options. Sherwood is one of the more affordable ones already at NTD7600 for 4 incl breakfast. What's intriguing is when I emailed them for the room, they told me deluxe double was all full and I had to go for executive double, at corporate rate of more than NTD10k. When I booked separately online, I could secure a deluxe double at 7.6k....doubted why they told me earlier the cheaper deluxe double was fully booked earlier.

Also, wifi was not free, which was a bit stingy on their side. Nowadays free wifi is almost a standard everywhere, even the 3 star hotels.

On the positive side, room size was really big. We could open both 30" suitcase flat on the floor with a lot of walking space. There was even a door separating room door & toilet and the sleeping area. Separate shower and bath. Japanese style toilet. Balcony. Bed was comfy but a bit small. The twin bed is really 2 double beds, while smaller hotels offer 2 queen beds. Our 2 kids shared1 bed and we shared the other one. We managed but the kids complained they almost fell off the bed.

We were also disappointed that the hotel provides only 3 towels and 2 sets of toiletries and slippers when we were 4. We had to call to ask for more.

The wide range of buffet breakfast and indoor swimming pool did make up for our poor first impression. We found the manager at the breakfast having very good attitude greeting guests and helping to clean tables, while other waiters were busy chatting and preparing extra utensils but ignoring our empty coffee cups and used plates. We asked for more coffee and they refilled only 1 cup. We signaled the other cup and they asked "You want 2 cups of coffee?" Well, yes. This is not much but all the small bits make us feel that the hotel is stingy.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I stayed at this many weeks during June 2012 - August 2012 on business trip. I were always happy to go back there. Overall hotel is very clean, service is excellent and rooms are fairly good size. I really don't have anything negative to say on this hotel. On one of the visit I forgot my T-shirt there, and when next time arrived there, my shirt was waiting for me at my room. Gym is quite good also, massage is also good, but quite expensive. Buffet breakfast has plenty of choices although it's not really the best hotel breakfast I have enjoyed. I tried once dinner buffet, which I didn't like so much - not really good value for money. Near the hotel, there's plenty of restaurants so you don't like going too far away from the hotel for your dinner, then you will definitely find something for your taste.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I travel to Taipei two or three times a year and have stayed at many of the hotels listed here in Tripadvisor. My latest trip occurred during China's golden week so many of the hotels in Taipei were fully booked by Chinese tourists. I had never stayed at the Sherwood but they had a vacancy so I booked here. The hotel was wonderful, from check in to check out. I stayed for a week and enjoyed every day. The breakfast buffet was very well stocked with a large selection of food. Great fresh fruit and bakery items as well.

The hotel is also a 5 minute walk to a metro station so it was very convenient to get around. There are plenty of nearby restaurants if you don't want to eat within the hotel. I only ate breakfast at the hotel but one of my friends who lives in Taipei said the Italian restaurant at the hotel is quite good.

My room which was a standard king room was very large. Probably one of the largest rooms I have ever had in hotels in Asia (or even in North America for that matter).

Reviewed October 6, 2012

The Sherwood is one of the nicest hotels in Taipei. Service is excellent and although the hotel itself is not new, the rooms are renovated to contemporary standards - good sized and well appointed. The hotel also offers comparatively good value for money compared to most of the other large 5 star international chain hotels. The gym is well equipped. There's an excellent buffet breakfast to start the day. Location is good with most of central Taipei within a 20 minute radius by taxi. Only thing that is missing is a view, but if that's not an issue then the Sherwood is an excellent choice for any visitor to Taipei.

1  Thank tnu
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Executive suite is huge with entry foyer, dressing room, sitting area and big bath with shower and tub. all was well. location is great with fine restaurants in hotel and within walking distance. We enjoyed it. the only negative is the room we stayed in was a little stuffy like it hadnt been used for a while. our view was the wall of the building next door. overall a very good experience. would stay again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business