“Excellent stay”

The Sherwood Taipei
Ranked #51 of 573 Hotels in Taipei
Reviewed January 18, 2012

My daughter and I stayed at the Sherwood for 3 nights during our first visit to Taipei. The hotel staff was great and friendly. Short walk to the subway - even shorter walk to a Starbucks. Our room was large, comfortable and clean (two queens). The breakfast dining room had excellent service, with a large selection of foods for both our palates. My daughter spent an entire morning in the weight room and spa.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Sherwoodhotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Sherwood Taipei, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2012

Dear Sir/Madam,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the The Sherwood Taipei. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. As a member of The Leading Hotels of the World, the hotel continuously strives to meet your needs and expectations .

There are newer reviews for The Sherwood Taipei

Reviewed January 18, 2012

The Sherwood is a 21 year old hotel in Taipei. Location wise is not the place for shopping but various types of transport (on foot as well) make it a convenient and inexpensive place to stay.

The lobby looks outdated but once you get to the room, you will be pleasantly surprised. Staff are friendly and efficient. The rooms are very clean and spacious - and I simply could not find any fault. Check-in and check-out were smooth and a staff is always around to ask if you need anything.

The basement cafe serves full American breakfast buffet with a good selection of local cuisine.

My colleagues and I were there for a conference and as a facilitator of the conference, I was impressed with the set-up of the ballroom. The hotel is small so the ballroom has limited capacity but the service and ambience make it a great place for hosting conferences or meetings.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 29, 2011

My colleagues from work recommended the Sherwood for my first trip to Taipei, and I can't thank them enough. What a great place to stay, and be pampered while working (or vacationing.)

First, the Sherwood is wonderfully well located, with tons of restaurants and shopping all around. It is also within walking distance to our local office, as well as to public transportation. I will admit that after returning from the work day, I would put on my sneakers, grab the camera and wander the side streets in the evening, without worry for my safety. There was plenty to see and do in the area; I found everyone to be kind and warm -- it was a great experience and I really cannot wait to go back.

Once "home" at the Sherwood, I was in heaven with a deep bathtub (with lovely bath salts) and a very comfy bed. There was also a separate shower cabin and luxurious amenities, including lovely slippers and robes. The large closet included a safe and umbrella... Everything was just perfect, clean and relaxing.

Within the hotel is a large breakfast bar (included in the price) with plenty of choices and tons of fresh fruit. While I did not try the restaurants, I did pay a visit to Henry's Bar, a very clubby feeling haunt with a great piano player. Room service dinner was very good, fast and reasonably priced. I cannot say enough about the staff -- they were all so kind and helpful.

I contacted Ivan, the hotel's "guest ambassador" before my arrival as my colleagues traveling with me could not get rooms at the Sherwood, since they were completely booked. Ivan tried to help us, but my colleagues ended up staying at the Westin, and they were disappointed when they realized what they were missing. Ivan's cheery email and open invitation for us to join him while we were there really helped me realize what a gem of a place the Sherwood is.

All in all, the Sherwood was just the perfect choice for my stay in Taipei...

Room Tip: While I had a room in the front, I hear that rooms at the back have a view of Taipei 101....
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank 4Tigger

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for have chosen The Sherwood Hotel as your home away from home while in Taipei; and in nome of all the team I would like to personally thank you for your kind and warm words I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks.
As a member of The Leading Hotels of the World, the hotel continuously strives to meet your needs and expectations . Your comments have indicated that we have fulfilled all your expectations.

Reviewed December 13, 2011

High quality hotel, kind and gentle staff, beautiful atmosphere.
We booked trough a Hong  Kong agency at a very reasonable price. Our room was so good that we thought they upgraded us. In reality it was the standard one with two queen size separate beds lot of space and a large bathroom.
The very helpful concierge (thanks Ava!!) directed us to the best Taiwanese restaurant we ever experienced, the Tung Hakka (not on TA) really worth going through the whole menu if you have enough days. Thing is that no English is spoken which makes ordering and identifying food quite "interesting". Lots of happy customers around you. We did not try the hotel restaurant and this was a mistake, it looked really worth a try, will do it next time,

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank saveron
Sherwoodhotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Sherwood Taipei, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2011

Dear Sir/Madam,

Firstly I would like to thank you for chosen The Sherwood Hotel as your home away from home while in Taipei. It is always nice to receive a good comment and it is also very encouraging when directed to one of our staff. Please rest assured that Ms. Ava Lin will receive the recognition of her well done job.
I hope have the opportunity to have you back in the future.

Warm regards,

Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed December 8, 2011

I brought my family here just as a short stop through Taipei on our way to a more rural region to complete an international adoption. On our way back, we were planning to stay elsewhere because we thought it would better accommodate two adults and two children. We loved The Sherwood so much and found the accommodations to be plenty roomy, so I canceled our other hotel and booked the second part of our stay at The Sherwood. In all, we stayed 8 nights in November 2011.

The hotel staff spoke excellent English and was more than accommodating. We loved the staff, especially the guest relations manager, Ivan, who played with my girls and even helped me carry their plates at the breakfast buffet. The staff offered reliable advice on everything we asked for-- from a good place to buy trinkety-type souvenirs, to restaurant recommendations/reservations, to holding our stroller when we decided at the last minute not to take it on an outing.

Tip: If you can get your breakfast included in your room price, it's well worth it. It has plenty of Western, Chinese, and Japanese offerings. The dinner buffet at B-One was delicious, but extremely pricey! I booked through Expedia, and the price was half what I could get directly from the hotel, for both of the stays.

We never tried the MRT (with two adults and two small kids, really cabs were just easier for us), so I don't know how far away it is. Immediately behind the hotel, there is a really nice bakery (Lulu's) with breads and Western foods as well as a delicious, inexpensive noodle place. The noodle place easily fed our family for less than $10 US. There are also a couple of parks and a couple of nice grocery stores within walking distance.

There are two or three banks within a block or so of the hotel, but the hotel was offering the same exchange rate, so I changed money there. The best rate I found (after looking at several banks) was surprisingly in the airport. If you don't want to eat Taiwanese food, one block from the hotel, there is a Starbucks. A few blocks down, there is a McDonald's and a Ruth Chris. Just across the street, there is a Chili's.

The hotel is very close to the domestic airport (less than 10 min). It is a little ways from the international airport (30-45 min), but again, taxis are so inexpensive that it didn't matter. We used taxis to go to Taipei 101, Taipei Zoo, American Institute Taiwan (for adoption visa appointment).

Every day after all our outings, we were so happy to return to the quiet, refined, clean, and comfortable Sherwood. I would definitely stay here again.

Dear Madam,

Firstly I would like to thank you for chosen The Sherwood Hotel as your home away from home while in Taipei. It was a pleasure to have you here with your new family. I have shared your comments with our entire team and I am certain that your kind words will inspire all of us to aim the delivery of same level of service that you and your family received to all our guests.
Please do not hesitate on contact us once coming back to Taiwan, as I have mentioned: The Sherwood Hotel will always be your home away from home.

Warm regards,

Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed November 20, 2011

Stayed at Sherwood for a long weekend from HK where we live. Was pleasantly surprised by Sherwood, the rooms were big and clean with clean beds and comfortable pillows. Bathrooms were clean and well maintained. Service was very good without being over the top, staff was friendly and keen to help. Gym was a nicer than expected and a pleasant surprise. Pool was also ok for a city hotel. Breakfast and wireless were included in my rate so was pleased. Breakfast buffet was more than adequate, can't imagine what some reviewers are moaning about. Usually I stay at Shangrila which is a little more polished hotel for service, but Sherwood is better value.

Sleep quality should have been good given comfy beds, but we had a nuisance person staying above us with kids who were jet-lagged and running around at 4 am. Not much hotel could do about that, certainly not their fault, but it left us tired...

One thing to note is that the location is great for shopping and eating around SOGO, about twd 100 taxi ride, but it is a bit less convenient for Taipei 101 or the museums. There are hotels more conveniently located for sightseeing.

Overall a nice, well managed hotel. You see the hotel manager in the lobby, and the staff have clearly been trained. If you are a business person that may resonate with you -- just shows attention and care.

Room Tip: Use the MRT train to get around taipei, convenient and fast. Carry your passport with you, can get...
Reviewed October 18, 2011

nice hotel
Worth the bucks
Recommand to biz traveller.

• Stayed: October 2011