“Nice enough but aging edges”

Shangri-La's Far Eastern Plaza Hotel Taipei
Ranked #15 of 571 Hotels in Taipei
Hong Kong, China
“Nice enough but aging edges”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

RECOMMENDED: Nothing not to recommend but I'm more critical due to it being a 5* hotel. Big plus, the staff is over the top ready to help you with anything. ++

The hotel location is nearby to nothing so don't plan on walking out to dinner though the mall next door has a modest food court (tough to find a seat during lunch hour). Taxis are plentiful and all drivers know where this hotel is.

The rooms are very large and have the traditional hushed environment of a luxury hotel. Despite the quality furnishings, the room feels - big n' empty. There are some scuffs and dings on furnishings. A hold over from era gone of bedside lighting console. Hard plastics yellowing with age. Bedding is hard but comfortable and ventilation system works well.

Glass top work area is large but a nightmare if you try and use a mouse (how about a mouse pad!). The wi-fi is free but speeds were inconsistent, good enough for browsing and email but often frustrating. Multi-national A/C outlets near desk easy to plug in and staff readily provided adapters.

Bath area is large with shower and tub facilities. Quality fixtures and floor to ceiling tile, reasonable lighting (I can always go for my light in a bath) and plenty of amenities -

Older guests will certainly feel at home here and Shangri-La isn't chasing the Internet-era executive looking for iphone docking stations and entertainment systems, but perhaps they should.

Overall, I was happy with my stay

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
SLFEPHOfficial, General Manager at Shangri-La's Far Eastern Plaza Hotel Taipei, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear roadwarrior30,

Thank you for taking your time to share your recent stay experience with us on Tripadvisor. We are glad that you are satisfied with our service and the room. We will definitely take your suggestion in consideration moving forward. We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Marcel NA Holman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Allen, Texas
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have stayed her several time, the people are very freindly. Always great you as you are coming or going. There is a mall built in with the Hotel, you never have to leave. Store in the basement and restaurant. Taxi service any time or day. Third floor restaurant has a very large buffet with American and Asian breakfast.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
NY
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I stayed at the Shangri La several times in the last few years and it never disappoints. The staff is very eager to attend to your needs. The location is excellent – there is a mall with a food court and a grocery store located outside/downstairs in the mall. The breakfast buffet is quite good – a ton of Eastern and Western selections. The health club is nice (although they could use a couple more treadmills- I had to wait some mornings.) One issue with the room was there was no place in the bathroom to plug in my hairdryer and there was no place in the room with a mirror where I could dry my hair. (They do have those mounted small hairdryers but I need something more powerful.) When brought to the attention of the front desk they promptly brought me a stand up full length mirror to use in the room. Problem solved.

Very convenient location – there are two bar/restaurants just down the block – Saints & Sinners and Carnegies. Easy to get to if you want to venture out of the hotel.

I was in Taipei when the devastating earthquake hit Japan in March 2011. On March 11, 2011, I returned to the Far Eastern quite upset with the news of the earthquake in Japan and subsequent tsunami warning for Taipei. There was a very kind young man who was interning at the Concierge desk. He knew I was supposed to fly home the next day through Tokyo and that I had to change my travel plans. He was very comforting to me, asking if there was anything he could do to help me.

The next day when I saw him on duty, he gave me a card with a very heartfelt note written inside. Additionally he went to a temple and got a charm for me to protect me on my travels home. I was very touched by how this young man went out of his way to make a virtual stranger feel welcomed, safe and comforted. The staff here definitely go above and beyond!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Kasey0505,

First of all, thank you for taking your time to leave us such a positive review. It is our honor to be your home in Taipei. One of the core values for us is to impress our guests beyond expectation and I am glad our staff has gone the extra mile for you during your stay. I have passed your kind words to the team and they are very grateful that you are very satisfied with our service. Again, we thank you for your comments and we wish to see you again soon.

New York, NY
Reviewed February 23, 2013

overall great hotel with great service. my first experience @ a shangri la and i would put its service on par with the four seasons brand.

the horizon lounge is worth it if you want to book a room on a club floor. they have light sandwiches and fruit all day along with drinks. there is also an awesome happy hr from 530-7p daily. you also get to eat a quieter, more exclusive breakfast in the horizon lounge if you want although we chose to go to the bkfst buffest on the 6th floor because it had a wider selection and we didnt mind the business.

the only reason i didnt give the hotel a 5-star rating would have to be the dated decor. per other reviews it does look a bit tired and could use some updating.

would rec the hotel nonetheless and will return here on my next trip to taipei.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We recently stayed at the Far Eastern Plaza Hotel and I have to say it was fantastic! The service was incredibly friendly and helpful. I've traveled to several asian countries where the service was good, but you could almost feel that they either thought you were strange for your requests or begrudged you. I never felt this from the staff at the Far Eastern. In fact, I found them to be eager to help in any way. The room was very comfortable, the temperature (A/C) was easy to set and control, and included a small refrigerator, iron and hairdryer. One thing of note, the bed was plush and comfortable. If you have stayed in other asian countries, you know that you are gambling on getting a bed that is rock hard even in 4-star hotels! Not at the Far Eastern. We were very comfortable. The only complaints I had were that the coffee offered in the room (apart from room service) was instant (wa-wa-wa!) and the electrical outlet was at the desk making curling my hair a tad tedious. That said, the English breakfast offered on the 6th floor was expansive! The staff was wonderful and most spoke English very well. Last, one of the most convenient things about this hotel is that it is directly adjacent (above?) a mall which includes a grocery store. We were able to purchase water, soda, chips, etc. until 9:30 at night by simply going down an escalator. So wonderful to not have to locate the closest convenience store or schlep bottles back to the hotel. If given the opportunity, we would love the opportunity to stay at the Far Eastern again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
USA
Reviewed February 12, 2013

This was my first stay for business purposes in this hotel, in fact I'm still at the hotel for another couple days. This is also the first review I've ever written about a hotel. I will say that without question, every single employee of this hotel is exceptional, not in the normal sense, but they go so far beyond with all the little details. I've been here for two days, they already know my name and address me as such. This is from he doormen, to those women who work in the Horizon Club. I really can't say enough about the exceptional service. The view from my room on the 36th floor overlooking 101 is unequaled.

The management in everything I've experianced in the short time I've been here is exceptional. Without question, I would recommend this hotel for anyone wishing to stay in a luxury property in Taipei.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
SLFEPHOfficial, General Manager at Shangri-La's Far Eastern Plaza Hotel Taipei, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear David P,

Thank you very much for taking your time to leave such a pleasant comment for us. It is our pleasure to be your home away from home in Taipei. We are glad to learn that you enjoyed our service and liked the view from your room. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2013

When staying at a Shangri La property you would expect a high class experience. The Taipei Shangri La is no different. Though the lobby is a lot more modest than the Singapore or Manila hotels it is nicely done. The service of course is excellent. My room on the 15th floor was good. Though one element of poor design is the TV is housed in a cabinet at the side of the bed. Breakfast was just great. If you have time to spend then you can have anything from a full English breakfast to noodles or cereal, yoghurt and fruit. So far Shangri La has yet to disappoint.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business