“A bit old but well maintained. Service quality is good.”

Shangri-La's Far Eastern Plaza Hotel Taipei
Ranked #21 of 585 Hotels in Taipei
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I stayed there for my biz trip in Sep. I stayed at the top floor so the view outside was good. However if you stay in a lower floor, like everywhere in Taipei, you see next buildings so close to you. I liked the room because it has a large bathroom with a bathtub, as well as a big closet. The room itself was relatively big too. The service quality of the staff was pretty high. It has a convenience store and starbucks right next to it. The chinese restaurant there was fantastic. OveraNothing to complain and I would probably go back there for my biz trip.

1  Thank QualityMattersMost

Reviewed October 16, 2012

I have been staying in this hotel since 2010 during my regular monthly business trips to Taipei. Overall this is a good business hotel with all the neccesary ammenities needed for a business or working person. Some of the staff can regonize me even not in name but in face. However the only downside is even I'm a Golden Circle Member (Jade level), with my regular trips to Shangri-La they do not offer me free access to the Horizon Lounge. I know that only Diamond level have freeaccess to the lounge but in other hotels I have stayed before regularly namely Hilton (Gold hHonors) and Holiiday Inn (Platinum PC), the staff regonize and value your business and I do get sometimes free access to the lounge even it is not a stated benefit. If Shangri-La can do that, it will be great.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the 101 and as high as possible to enjoy the nice view
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
SLFEPHOfficial, General Manager at Shangri-La's Far Eastern Plaza Hotel Taipei, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Dear SengKwong Y,

Thank you very much for being a loyal customer to our hotel, as well as to Shangri-La's Hotels and Resorts. We are delighted to know that you have enjoyed the services provided. As the hotel aims to maintain the exclusivity of the Horizon Club benefits, they are only offered to Golden Circle Diamond members. However, may we kindly suggest you to consider booking the Horizon Floor room during your next visit, because that way you'll also have access to the Horizon Club benefits. Also, for your information, Diamond member status is awarded upon spending a total of 50 qualifying nights or 25 qualifying stays in a calendar year at any Shangri-La hotel, resort, Traders hotel or Kerry hotel. Your understanding is greatly appreciated and we hope that you can let us know if we may be of any assistance in the future. Thank you and we hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

Taxis are reasonably priced, so the location is not such a disadvantage. Close to a night market and not too far from 101 building. Subway is also about a 10 minute walk.

Hotel itself is nice --- what one would expect from a Shangra-la. Breakfast buffet is massive. Sheer bliss.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Impeccable service, attention to detail, nice large rooms with excellent bathrooms. Breakfast a bit busy, excellent Japanese restaurant. I've been in the Grand Hyatt before, which is better in terms of location, but nowhere near the quality of this hotel

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Mission of Shangri La is to maximize profit. So you feel like a wallet in stead of a guest.

Location for travellers is not so good. If you want comfort, 5 stars quality and a good location. In that case Shangri La is a bad choise.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank wilfredvanpolanen
SLFEPHOfficial, General Manager at Shangri-La's Far Eastern Plaza Hotel Taipei, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Dear wilfredvanpolanen,

Thank you for taking your time to leave a feedback on TripAdvisor. We are regretful to learn that you found our location inconvenient. Perhaps should we have known where you wish to go to from the hotel, then we could provide you with targeted travel advice. Shangri-La's Far Eastern Plaza Hotel, Taipei is located 15 minutes away from Taipei Shonshan Airport and 45 minutes away from Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport. In addition, a ten-minute walk brings you to Liuzhangli MRT station which could then take you to various major tourist spots in Taipei. There are also plenty of choices in terms of shopping and dining around the hotel which our concierge team will be more than happy to assist you with offering a suitable recommendation. We hope we will get a chance to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

I've been staying here ever since I was a child and I only have one complaint about it. So let's get that complaint over with, it's nowhere near any subway stations. Okay, done, let's move on.

I measure all of my hotel experiences to staying here.

The staff is always very friendly + knowledgable. They go out of their way to help you.

The rooms are beautiful in a comforting and relaxing design. They are immaculately clean. Bedding is comfortable + soft.

Bathroom is huge for Taiwan standards with a separate tub + shower. Nice marble floors and plenty of towels.

Despite it not being close to a subway entrance, there are plenty of things to do around the area. There's a mall right next door with a food court, and plenty of other restaurants close by. It's somewhat in an ex-pat area, so plenty of American food and bar around. The taxi to the nearest subway station is around (150 - 170 nt ~ 5 - 6 US).

The spa is nice with personal rooms available with a jacuzzi and hot sauna inside and beautiful views of Taipei. Just be careful not to slip as the floor gets slippery when wet.

Breakfast is superb, plenty of delicious options.

If I could, I'd just like to move in here.

Room Tip: Views of 101 are beautiful, but taipei does get foggy so it might not be worth it.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank amiedelanoche
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I truly enjoyed my stay at Shangri-La, the hotel is located in a nice area with multiple dining options, it is also close to a night market which I personally enjoyed tons. I traveled on business and the night market allowed me to see more of the everyday living in this lovely city. Breakfast buffet is abundant in options, try it. The bed was great and the room was truly spacious. The hotel is located right next to a Mall with well known brands for the shoppers.
Dont miss the roof top pool, I took a mornng swimming and it was awesome.
Everyone in the hotel tries their best to make you feel welcome, I loved the detail of giving out home made cookies when you check out, I would definetely stay here again.

2  Thank Ivonne33
SLFEPHOfficial, General Manager at Shangri-La's Far Eastern Plaza Hotel Taipei, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Dear Ivonne33 ,

Thank you so much for taking your time to share your staying experience. It was certainly our pleasure to serve you. We are glad that you like the area around the hotel and thank you for recommending the rooftop swimming pool. We look forward to your visit again in the near future.