“Best in Far East”

Shangri-La's Far Eastern Plaza Hotel Taipei
Ranked #21 of 585 Hotels in Taipei
Reviewed November 11, 2011

Good location Good amenities excellent spa & swimming pool Breathtaking view of 101 from swimming pool area during day & night. When staff came to know I am a vegetarian everyone tried to help me with veg dishes. The president herself took a photograph for me.. The bathroom is well equipped with excellent facilities. sad part is while going back to the airport although paid for Limo the staff insisted on me paying for it. Excellent venue for conference. Somehow stay in the hotel didn't give me flying miles

Room Tip: Choose aroom overlooking 101
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed November 9, 2011

I was recently at this hotel for a medical meeting. This is a huge hotel with over 40 floors of rooms. However the service is so personal the minute you step in. The reception and concierge desks are so helpful and efficient that you forget that you are in a large hotel. The staff always have a smile on their face and they seem to enjoy working in the hotel.

Pros
The hotel arranges pick up from the Airport but the prices are a little on the higher side.. however the Van in which I travelled on with collogues comes with an inbuilt Wifi which makes the 45 min trip to and fro the airport so quick.

There is good free wired and wireless internet available free of cost

Rooms are clean and good with a large bathroom and a small Television along the basin to watch while you brush your teeth. Otherwise anything you expect from a hotel of this quality is available in the room.

There is welcome fruit platter in the room.

Cons

Really cannot think about any cons except that the Television in the room is placed at an angle that makes it difficult to watch.

I had a minor injury with my shaving blade on the day I was checking out and the hotel was efficient in arranging some supplies to bandage my hand. Though the first maid who brought me a plaster did not understand English, but she quickly brought her superior and I was able to convey to her that I need a bandage than a plaster to stop the blood flow..

Overall the hotel looks ad feels as any other hotel of this size and cost and what will make me remember this and come back again is the excellent service and the staff who make this place above the ordinary.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Jubbin55
Reviewed November 6, 2011

Extremely nice business hotel....rooms along with bathrooms are very nice and clean...but this possibly you would expect from a hotel like this...what is outstanding is their impeccable service. starting from house keeping to front desk, restaurants.etc.
stayed in 35th floor. and can guess what a lovely view it offered. i am extremely statisfied and would definitely like to come back again

Reviewed November 6, 2011

We stayed here for a long weekend, and the hotel was excellent. Staff is extremely friendly and very helpful in terms of trying to provide you with the best experience. We had a room with amazing views of Taipei. There is also a rooftop bar which has stunning views of the city. Only drawback is that the location is a bit far from some of the main attractions, but the hotel is within walking distance to the local night markets and some restaurants that were recommended by the Concierge. We ended up just taking a taxi to/from the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 24, 2011

when you just arrived at the hotel main entrance, you wouldnt find much a surprise, which is a bit old and rather ordiinary and adjacent to a shopping mall, but right after you went to the reception counter, then the ususal high standard service made you feel good about your choice. the room is pretty spacious expecially the bathroom plus the gorgeous city view which my room can see the 101 building then you would understand why they charged you so much for it. as for the breakfast which came along with my package you would jsut feel yourself spoiled for there is really a wide selection of food and many freshly squeezed fruit or vegtable juice for you to choose from. the food was jsut yummy.
and one more point there is a night market quite close to the hotel called tung hua night market. worth a go and lots of food stalls along the street. there is one more plus of the hotel, it is quite close to the metro station called liuzhangli and takes you about 6mins walk.
before you check out dont forget to have a swim on the 43rd floor on which you would find yourself surrounded by a gorgeous view of taipei. all the staff provide such a high stand of service that makes you really want to stay a few more nights.
almost forget to mention the pillows they provide. of course filled with feathers and downs but the main point is that when you put two togeter( one on top of another) and sleep on them you would say 'ah awesome !' as they jsut fit to your neck or our typical asain size. absolutely a plus as this is the only hotel that gives us this experience so far.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank simplygood
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Stayed here for a week early October. From the moment we stepped out of our limousine pick up (organised by the hotel) the service was superb. Every single member of staff in that hotel from the concierge to the bar and restaurant staff to the lifeguard at the pool were absolutely amazing and really put a smile on our faces.

I highly recommend getting the hotels limo service to pick you up from the airport..it is a long drive to the hotel from the airport and although it is slightly pricier, its worth it...especially after a 12 hour flight from London! there is free wifi in the limo (and all throughout the hotel for that matter) and its more comfortable.

The hotel itself is stunning, very spacious-and the rooms are beautiful. We asked for a high floor with a view of Taipei 101-and we got it. Rooms are very clean and tidy and there is a turn down service everyday where you get fruit and water replenished, your slippers put out..very nice. Even the cleaners are smiley and friendly. Bathroom is beautiful, and big with a shower and separate bath. There is a TV as well. Room amenities include a mini bar. tea and coffee-all replenished everyday. Room service food was very good, and the staff were sweet enough to make me a dish I wanted-even though it wasnt on the after hours menu-they really go out of their way.

The only restaurant we ate at was Ibuki, the Japanese restaurant. The food is delicious and a really reasonable price-I recommend the oysters which were blindingly good. We also went to both bars-the Li Bai lounge is nice with good ambience but the Marco Polo more trendy-and with gorgeous views of Taipei 101 which is really stunning at night time. Beware-Marco Polo has the most expensive drinks in Taipei, but a very good variety.

The rooftop pool is lovely, very relaxing. There is a heated pool and a jacuzzi. Warning-there are no changing rooms on the 41st floor where the pool is, so when you reach the 40th floor, make sure you change before you head on up. Towels and everything provided. The staff up at the pool are all very friendly as was the lifeguard-a very nice chap who offered us cups of tea! Avoid the pool on weekends if you want peace and quiet as there are lots of families with children that use it.(not guests) I also treated myself to a massage which i highly recommend, you are treated like a star and brought out cups of tea while you wait. The gym on the 6th floor is very good, again, fantastic and helpful staff, good facilities with a sauna in the changing rooms that is beautiful. There is a regular unheated pool also.

The lobby lounge is nice and do an alright high tea at a good price. there is a buffet breakfast and lunch too.

Overall I loved my stay at this hotel. There was one minor hiccup at the end-the girl who checked us in forgot to request us a limo transfer back to the airport but this was rectified at last minute with no problem at all. Thank you to every single member of staff that made our stay so comfortable...this hotel has the best service of any hotel I've stayed in, even in London. The staff should be commended.

Room Tip: Ask for a view overlooking Taipei 101-views are lovely.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 21, 2011

It's the best hotel I ever stay in terms of the services provided.

I stay here for one week with business. Throughout my stay, I experience very good services provided by the hotel staff of different departments and they make me feel at home.

I love the Marco Polo Lounge @ 38/F - ask for a table close to the window and you can have a perfect view of Taipei CBD, especially the Taipei 101. I tried the high-tea @ afternoon and drink @ night. The high-tea set is awesome with reasonable price.

The dishes prepared by Shanghai Pavilion @ 39/F are also excellent. The staff also provides a very customized service. Since I have only one hour for a business lunch, the staff allowed me to order the dishes one day in advance and make sure the dishes are ready and the lunch can be finished by one hour. I like the red bean soup too!

I also tried another high-tea set and a drink in Lai Bai Lounge @ 6/F. Very good service & quality of food but, when compared to Marco Polo Lounge, I do not like the interior design of Lai Bai Lounge 'cause it's too dark ...

The hotel also provides a very good housekeeping and turn-down service. They are so kind to re-fill the fruit everyday. Fitness center is also awesome - it would be much better if it closes at 12mn, rather than 11pm.

I really enjoy my stay here and would definitely stay in this hotel again for my next visit in Taipei.

1  Thank Edward-A A