“Can't decide between Sheraton and Westin? Choose the Sheraton.”

Sheraton Grand Taipei Hotel
Ranked #62 of 571 Hotels in Taipei
San Francisco, California
“Can't decide between Sheraton and Westin? Choose the Sheraton.”
Reviewed February 21, 2009

We stayed at both the Sheraton and Westin Taipei during our trip. Having read the reviews here we decided to try the Sheraton first. Glad we did. The staff are super friendly, accomodating, and genuinely nice. The rooms have recently been renovated and are of good quality. Being an SPG preferred member, we were upgraded and we had access to the lounge and found it to be excellent. You can have your breakfast and walk away satisfied. The happy hour in the evening can actually be counted as your dinner; the food is excellent and filling. A good way to save on your budget. The Westin... not as nice. The location is not the best and the staff need some training in how to treat guests. The lounge is not as nice and the food not as good.

The spa is great and very relaxing.

If you are reading the reviews on this site and cannot decide which hotel to choose, we say go for the Sheraton. It is by far a much better hotel and location.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank NickinSF

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed February 16, 2009

My husband and I stayed 5 nights at the Sheraton Hotel last fall. The room was big and the bed was exprenely big. I think they put 2 full size beds together to create out "king size" room. Everything was nice and clean. (hotel design seems very early 2000, so it felt slightly dated, but still very nice)

Hotel provided fresh fruit everyday. The staff was friendly and very efficient. The hotel is located at decent location, just 1 subway station away from the main Taipei train station. (the subway is 1/2 block from hotel) You can just buy the $500 Taipei Dollar subway ticket that you can beep in and out and travel to most of the tourist attractions.

Foodwise, we didn't eat at the hotel, but supposidely the japanese restaurant is good and I bet the "afternoon tea" buffet is good. That place was always full! When I tried to go there one day, they told me it was fully booked and I asked to be called at my room if something opens up...and you guessed it, no luck.

Lastly, I want to mention how helpful the staff was. My mom asked me to buy some pineapply cake from a specific store, which I had no clue how to get to. The staff looked at the map and realize the store is out in a residential neighborhood where there is nothing much out there. They called the store and asked them to deliver it directly at the hotel. Low cost of like $5 USD delivery fee. They made my life so much simplier for helping out. They called, ordered for me, signed for the delivery when it came and just left me a note to pick it up at the front desk. All that took less then 24 hours!

I'll definitely come back to this hotel again when I return.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bed was slightly on the hard side
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
WI
Reviewed January 16, 2009

I stayed in this property twice in the same week for a total of 5 days.

While everything was not perfect, the staff's responses and actions made my stay(s) turn out "very well". In my estimation this response coupled with the property's facilities makes this a true five-star hotel.

There are a range of rooms at this property and the Executive Floor rooms do offer more amenities but both levels I stayed in were clean and in good repair. To put things into perspective, there are no "gleaming new" hotel rooms in Taipei but the Sheraton is as good as you will find in my opinion.

I ate at the Thai restaurant, Chinese retaurant and lobby buffet. All were of high quality with good selections. Not cheap but a reasonable value for hotel restaurants. The Thai restaraunt has a price fixe menu for lunch which I recommend as a good value. Everything is made to order and you can watch them prepare the food. It is as close to authentic as you will get in a hotel outside of Thailand.

The gym is well equipped, very clean and had enough machines for the typical "western crazies" running 1000 miles an hour. (What are we running from or to??).

I had a problem with some energetic upstairs neighbors dancing all night which was quieted the first night and then I was moved the second night. I was moved to a non-executive room but they brought all of the amenities to me.

When I checked out, a boxed breakfast was ready for me for my ride to the airport.

I am an SPG Platinum so my experience may not be typical of a non-SPG member, however, I would still give this property high marks.

Keep in mind that if you travel in Asia pre-lunar new years the hotels are bristling with weddings, end of year corporate events and holiday travelers.

This hotel handled everthing during this busy time with aplomb!

• Liked — Staff responsiveness
  • Disliked — New Year hoardes
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 5, 2009

We stayed at the Sheraton Taipei Hotel for the last 3 days of the year.

Unfortunately, it rained the whole time, and I found Taipei to be one of the ugliest, most boring cities I've ever been to, so my review might be somewhat tainted.

I found the Sheraton Taipei to be OK, but nothing special.

We had booked an Executive Director room with Club Access, and when we got to the hotel, we were escorted into the lounge and were told that they would come back and get us when our room was ready, but didn't give us any indication at all of when that might be: One hour, half a day?

After 15 minutes or so we went to the club desk and told them we would go out for awhile and check back with them when we returned.

An hour later we returned and they still couldn't tell us when the room would be ready and asked us to wait again. Initially we arrived around 1pm which is a bit early for check-in, so we were willing to accept it, but by this time that excuse was getting a bit old.

Finally, about 20 minutes later, they said our room was ready, but when they handed us the key it was for the 8th floor. Floors 8 and 9 were the only two floors that were not Executive Club in the whole wing. We had asked for a high floor, which this was not, and were insulted that as gold members we were not only not upgraded, but effectively DOWNgraded!

My husband had to have a long word to the person who had been serving us about this. Apparently they only had one room left on an exective floor in the class of room we had purchased, and it had two beds rather than the king we requested, so basically they had screwed up and given our Executive King room away to someone else.

Yes, the hotel was busy because it was right before new years, but we had booked this nearly a year in advance, so ours wasn't the room that should have been screwed up.

We told them we'd rather have a room on the 17th floor with two beds, than a downgrade, so we'd take the one room they had left. It was at this point that they told us that the one room they had left was having some problem with the bathroom that needed to be fixed before they could let us in the room.

We were getting the distinct feeling we were being discriminated against, or something.

At this point, my husband couldn't hold his tongue anymore and suggested that at any other Starwood property he has ever stayed at, if they were unable to give him a room in the class he had purchased, he would be upgraded to a higher room category, rather than insulted by being downgraded, since it was the hotel's fault anyway. He basically had to tell the guy how to do his job.

Finally, the staff person found us a room on the 9th floor that was one class above the room we had booked, a Diplomatic Suite. This was putting us back on a lower, non-executive level, but in a nicer room class, so we decided rather than waste any more time or ruin our stay anymore, we would take it.

As for the hotel itself, it was in a central location, near the main subway and railway station, so was conveniently located to get around the city. However, having said that, being near a train station, it wasn't really the nicest part of town.

The hotel lobby was reasonably nice, and had one of the hugest buffets I've ever seen and the food looked pretty good, although having a rather elaborate Executive Club spread, we never had a chance to try it out.

We did try some of the baked goods from the "deli" (more of a bakery really) at the back of the buffet area on the street side, and they were good and not at all expensive.

As for the Executive Club, there was a pretty big breakfast, and a drink/hors d'ouvres spread that really amounted to a good size dinner.

The food in the Executive lounge was pretty good really, much better than in a large majority of Executive lounges that I've been to, although when one item would finish up, they would put out something different, so the more popular items were hard to get if your timing wasn't good, as people seemed to push and shove and grab all the good stuff as soon as it came out.

There was a coffee machine in the lounge too, but the staff didn't seem to want to let the guests make their own despite it being setup to be accessed that way. We ould have much preferred to make our own coffee the way we like it and not have to wait for staff to serve us.

There were also no knives/forks out on the buffet that you could simply take yourself, instead the staff would set places at the tables, but once someone had eaten and left, they wouldn't reset it, but would rather come rushing over as you sat down and scramble to get you setup then, which was very annoying.

I also didn't care much for the breakfast myself, but that may just have been my particular taste.

As for the room, having been upgraded to a suite, it was a nice room. We sometimes prefer junior suites with a large area that is split into a sitting and bed area, as it feels more open. Sometimes separate lounge/bed rooms can feel a bit enclosed, but this didn't.

The bathroom was also huge, with a huge walk-in shower area with a bathtub next to it, and a window from where the tub was into the bedroom.

Although this window should have meant more natural light getting into the bathroom, but as another reviewer said, the bathroom was unusually dark. Part of this may have been because of the charcoal coloured tiling, but the lighting in there wasn't very good either.

As another reviewer also said, the bed was rather hard, especially considering all of Starwood's promotion of pillow-top beds. This one didn't have that. And the pillows weren't very good either.

I'm willing to let the quality of the mattress go a bit, because I think this is just an Asian thing. The bed at the Westin in Seoul was similarly hard, so maybe that's just the way they are, but if you don't like hard beds, don't stay here!

Our other consideration for Taipei had been the Hyatt, which was in a much more luxurious location, near Taipei 101 and its shopping centre. Obviously I can't comment on the difference in the hotels themselves having not stayed at the Hyatt, but if I were to return to Taipei again, which is unlikely since I really disliked the city, I might try it, due to the more luxurious area.

• Liked — Large Suite
  • Disliked — The staff were dreadful
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed January 3, 2009

The Sheraton is a quality 5 star hotel as you would expect from a leading chain. We were upgraded to the executive floor and the room was excellent as was the bed. The room is possibly a bit on the smalller side but was very designed. Plenty of non-chinese TV channels to chose from (obviously been following up on the feedback). No wi-fi in the room so people had to go to the lobby to use free wi-fi there. Only "criticism" is that although conveniently located (right on top of the Shendao Temple MRT and near Taipei main station), I would have preferred to stay nearer the main shopping district as the hotel is to the west of the main downtown center. Probably ideal for business people and those who want to travel around but still thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
San Francisco
Reviewed December 28, 2008

I am a Starwood Points junkie and stay at Starwood properties fairly often. The Sheraton Taipei is sub standard.

First, the bed. It's painfully hard and uncomfortable. Whereas every other Starwood property seems to have adopted their brand's version of bed (Sheraton Sweet Sleeper, etc..), this franchise seems to have cheapened out.

And that is the nature of the beast here. In little nooks and crannies here and there, they cheapen out or try to charge you for something that would normally be free. Going into the hot tub costs you an extra USD $20. The fruit basket that comes along with a description sheet that includes interesting fruits such as starfruits and jackfruits only actually has one apple and one orange in it..

The rooms in the old tower are painfully small. My fresh towels for some reason smell of cigarette smoke.

This hotel seems nice from 10,000 feet, but the devil is in the details. I may switch to the westin and give that a try.

Stayed December 2008
1 Thank jhonger
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 10, 2008

This is a better hotel than Hyatt Taipei which I stayed earlier during the trip. A hotel worths its star rating.

Good points
- Clean and neat room.
- Internet inclusive in the price.
- Comes with iron and iron board!!!
- They provide mouth rinse in the toilet...kinda uncommon in hotels.

Bad point
- Lack of interesting tv channels. More of international news and programmes.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business