“5 star facilities with 5 star services”
Review of The Westin Taipei

The Westin Taipei
Ranked #68 of 571 Hotels in Taipei
los angeles
“5 star facilities with 5 star services”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

There's a new hotel trend going on in some south east asian countries in the recent years. I am talking about "boutique" style hotels. Their have trendy interior/exterior designs and most of them charge a premium for their "unique" personality. Unforfunately, most of them come with pretentious services, tacky furnishings and very small space. I've stayed a few in Taipei and every one of them disappointed me greatly. So this time I decided to go old fashion and stay at a branded hotel. Boy, was I in a lovely surprise. The room in Westine Taipei is twice the size as most of the "boutique" hotels in town. The newly renovated room come with marble bath, super comfy bed, comteporary furnitures and top notch services. I love thier bakery in the lobby area. One morning I wanna try some of the freshly baked goodies but I wanna have them in the tranquil restaurant that's nestle in the corner. The bakery bring them to my table and they also put the rest of the goodies(my appetite is small in the morning so I ask them if they can slice each pastry/cookie and wrap the rest for me), not only they wrap it, they put in a beautiful box and place the box in an hang bag for me. One afternoon I was chatting with one of the bell man about a local night market. Few hours later we decided to go there for a visit. The bell man hail a taxi for us and as soon as he opened the door for us, he asked us if we want to go to that night market we were chatting about few hours ealier. Trust me, this is a very busy hotel and they talk to many different guests at any given time. So it's a bit surprise for us he remembered our conversation. We encounterd same level of quality services everywhere in this hotel, from the moment we checked in, the time we work out in the gym, housekeeping, and oc, the lovely bell man. Thank you Westine Taipei for providing us such wonderful memories. We will be back, hopefully soon.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank T91776
Toni C, Front Office Manager at The Westin Taipei, responded to this review, January 20, 2017

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us.

To provide professional and warm service and to give our guest a pleasant stay is our goal.

We are very much thankful for your precious time to stay in our place and looking forward to welcoming you back to serve you better in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong
Reviewed August 21, 2012

The hotel has been renovated although the bathroom was minimally refreshed. The room itself has new carpeting, furniture, and panels. However, I noticed some sore spots :
1) room service delivery staff would not take my laundry, but instead asked me to call Housekeeping
2) room service menu was a fraction of what's available at the on-site restaurants
3) front door bellboy was too busy chatting with the taxi driver than to notice me waiting for one
4) staff did not give me a full receipt upon check-out, the first page was missing
5) housekeeping did not replenish the shampoo and body wash even though the bottles were empty
6) killed 1 cockroach

1 Thank hkg2009hkg

NC
Reviewed August 13, 2012

This hotel was easy to find, located on a main road, and there was never a wait for a taxi. There is an MRT station only a block away. A short stroll found many cafes, spas and nightlife.
The hotel itself looked great, was in very good condition. The size of my room was just right, with one king bed, a desk and large bathroom. Perfect for business travel. One drawback: my room faced the rear of the building, and was above either the hotel kitchens or a restaurant next door. When I returned to my room after the A/C was off for the day I would smell cooking oil for a little while. I worked around this after a day or so by getting a second key and leaving the A/C on in my room while I was gone.
Service was excellent. Everyone was very helpful. I needed to extend my stay by a couple of days and they made it very easy.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mgralnc

Chicago, IL
Reviewed August 12, 2012

The recent upgrades to the hotel have resulted in a great place to stay! The bed is comfy, the desk is comfortable for working and the bathroom is luxurious! The Silk Road Buffet for breakfast is perfect for those whose body is not sure they want breakfast, lunch or dinner as they wrestle with jet lag! You will find American cereal, toast, pancakes, etc as well as curries, local delicacies for the different Asian cultures as well as fresh, squeezed fruit juices...wonderful! The location is $12 TWD cab ride from most of the city...since this was a business trip did not get around to many of the sites. A cab ride is approximately $40US from the airport and give yourself at least an hour to get there as it is quite remote from the city center. If you arrive late from the US--there is a 24 hour quickie mart across the road where you can find snacks and a MOS burger joint next to it. The meeting rooms were comfortable and the service level was very good. Also, the food at the meetings was delicious and varied.

Room Tip: Join SPG - Starwood hotels affinity group - before you go and you will get free wireless in your roo...
2 Thank BV74

Singapore
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Stayed here for business (one day) and tourism (two days).

You have to consider the trade-off offered to you by this hotel. Since this hotel is quite far from many key tourist and business parts of the city, this hotel can feel more quiet than your typical Westin city hotel. You'll appreciate the feeling of calm you'll get in this hotel. The trek to and from "town" will however be a bit of a disadvantage because Taipei traffic can get quite complicated, and taxi fares to "town" can add up.

The rooms are spacious and nicely decorated in Westin tones (a lot of brown and light greens). Lighting is just about right. Rooms are well equipped for work -- desk is spacious, the seat is comfortable, rooms come with a fax/printer (although I didn't know how to get a printer driver for my desktop). They got Westin's heavenly bed right, so yes you will most likely sleep well. The shower is excellent, and the bathroom looked clean and well maintained.

We found their staff to be very courteous, sincere, and thoughtful. Excellent service! We found Helen, one of the guest relations staff stationed at the lobby to be very helpful about directions and information on tourist areas. She was mindful of what we wanted, and provided great alternatives.

There are a couple of good points to consider:
1. The hotel has a bakery at the lobby. Great choices of bread and pastries -- we didn't opt for a buffet breakfast because we thought the bakeries would start our day right. Besides, there is a Starbucks just outside the lobby.
2. Internet is fast (and for the rate that we were paying, came free)
3. Did I mention service was topnotch?
4. I hear the lounge is great (but I didn't get to try it). I think one has to pay extra above standard rates for lounge access.

A couple of bad points:
1. We found a small live bug/cockroach inside the trash bin. We called room service and the offending party was promptly disposed.
2. English among staff (non-front desk) was not adequate. But then again, we need to lower our expectations for passable English in cities like Taipei.
3. My wife complained about the hair dryer that was "too weak"

Overall, we found the hotel to be 60% great and 40% not-so-great -- but that is based on higher standards we have for a hotel of this class and of this price. At the end of the stay, you'll feel that you had a good enough stay, but nothing really deserving of a "wow."

Room Tip: Great views from your room are difficult to be had in this part of town (maybe the upper suites woul...

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We last stayed at the Westin in Jan 2012 (see my earlier review) and we visitied again in June for 5 nights. The hotel renovations have been completed and I love the new look and the feeling of spaciousness, especially in the lobby. The service was top-notch, as before... efficient, yet warm and friendly. The rooms were comfortable, and I can't get enough of the heavenly bed! We enjoyed the breakfasts in the executive lounge, and the coffee was good! (A far cry from our last experience!) The manager did say that they would be making improvements on the coffee, amongst other things, and he delivered on his promise!! It looks like the Westin Taipei will be our hotel of choice from now on. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Pox

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This hotel has a very enjoyable executive lounge. I have enjoyed it a few times and each time seem to enjoy it more ! The ladies who look after the lounge are excellent. This is one of the best lounges I have been in. It shares the same feeling as the rest of the hotel ... unimposing, understated quality that is just there in a very background way. I met the General Manager who is a charming and relaxed German gentleman. Things seem to run here with German efficiency but with no fuss, no bother in fact little sign of effort, it just happens ! Relaxed, good quality with efficiency in all the areas you would expect. I enjoy each visit to this hotel !

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business