“Very pleasant hotel”

The Westin Taipei
Ranked #72 of 568 Hotels in Taipei
“Very pleasant hotel”
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Travelers heading to Westin Taipei from the international airport can take a direct bus 5201/5202 Evergreen and alight at Nanjing East Road Station. Walk towards the T-Junction on the left (do not cross the road) and turn right, Starbucks and Westin should be visible in a few minutes.

It seems that the construction/renovations have completed when I was there though outside of Westin they are construction the MRT. It is a beautiful atrium hotel and the rooms are spacious and nice, and was not disturbed by the constructions as most rooms I believed do not face the road. Heavenly bed and bath was perfect as usual and they have very big pillows. The service staffs were polite and often greets their guests.

After staying in 3 Westin properties, I can say that I will continue staying in Westin if possible.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank nivla83
Toni C, Front Office Manager at The Westin Taipei, responded to this review, January 19, 2017
Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us so we can continue to improve.
To provide professional and warm service and to give our guest a pleasant stay is our goal.
We are very much thankful for your precious time to stay in our place and looking forward to welcoming you back to serve you better in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Stayed here as part of a tour group, totally unexpected as it was not made known to us that it will be at THE WESTIN, so was very surprised when the bus dropped us at the entrance.

Though the location was average, I must say the quality of the rooms is excellent. Being recently renovated i reckon, it is not the latest design but very well appointed. Rooms are also very spacious, the separate standing shower cubicle is nice too (I dislike standing in a bath tub for a shower). Note: I had a room with number ending in the 20s, it faces the main road, and staring right into a consruction site opposite. But I didn't enounter any noise as it was a weekend stay.

Breakfast was excellent with freshly squeezed orange juices and freshly baked pastries. Ala-minute noodle counter serves very tasty noodle soup. My parents said it was the best meal of the tour! However, the service staff during breakfast didnt seem to know what they needed to do, I spotted a gentleman who walked around aimlessly, from one table to another, without observing if tables needed to clear, neither was he spotting for any guests who needed attention. It took other staff a while to clear dirty plates and my special coffee order was forgotten before being reminded a 2nd time.

All in all, it was a great stay, albeit only for a night.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms ending with 20s... ie, from 20 to 29... it faces the main road and looks directly into t...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Kailua, Hawaii
Reviewed May 2, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for five nights. I read a lot of reviews complaining about the out-dated style of the hotel and the renovations that were going on. I guess the renovations are finished because I wasn't bothered by any renovations and I didn't think the hotel was dated. I found the hotel to be very contemporary and very clean. I am by far, not the high-end hotel connoisseur, but I think it would still appeal to most travelers. I've stayed in other taiwan hotels and they were considerably smaller with less amenities.

I rated the hotel value as excellent because of the the Starwood options available to SPG members. I used the "points and cash" option, and thought the value was excellent. They upgraded me from a queen bedroom to a twin queen bedroom which was not much of an upgrade for me since I was traveling alone, but I guess it was the thought that counts. The room may have been bigger due to the extra bed, but I don't have the original room to compare it to. The hotel also offered me the new Gold SPG benefit of free wifi or extra SPG points. I think the free wifi is more valuable if the hotel charges for wifi.

The hotel location is about a five minute walk (depending on how fast you walk) to the Nanjing East MRT station. It is about 8 minutes to Brass Monkey which is a cool bar and grill with both foreigners and locals. Most of the famous bars and clubs are closer to the W Hotel, but the taxi ride to that area from the Westin is only 10 minutes and the cost is very cheap. The MRT to that district is also very convenient.

You don't have to go far for good drinks and a good atmosphere though. The hotel bar, Churchills, is a great bar with a friendly staff and reasonable drinks. They also have a cigar room with a huge selection of great cigars imported from around the world. The decor has a typical piano-bar, lounge style look and feel. The drinks are made very well. The drinks are also very reasonable considering it is in a nice hotel. I had one meal there. The food was good, but that was the most overpriced thing there. The staff is very helpful too. You can talk to them and ask them for advice on where to go for nightlife activities or day time sightseeing activities.

The entrance and lobby of the hotel is very nice. The reception counter is directly infront of the entrance. The reception staff is very friendly and helpful. The bellman were also very friendly. They always greeted me with a smile and helped me get taxis. The lobby is like a courtyard with a bakery and restaurant surrounding it. The rooms circle the lobby and extend up, so the lobby is open all the way up to the ceiling of the roof. The hotel has about three or four restaurants that vary in cuisine. They also have a cinema, workout room, indoor pool, New Zealand style massage spa (never seemed to be open when I tried to go), meeting rooms/banquet rooms, and a hotel bar as I mentioned before.

I didn't eat at any of the hotel restaurants or in-room meals. Taipei has too many good restaurants that are very well priced. There is also a Starbucks at the hotel?? I passed by everyday and can't seem to remember if it was attached or the next building over? Anyway, it is extremely close.

The hotel room was very spacious and clean. It had a small fridge filled with water, juice, beer, soda, and a few snacks. They also had coffee and tea with a coffee maker and hot water boiler. They had fresh fruit for you to eat. The room had a safe, iron, ironing board, robes, area maps and brochures, large flat-screen tv, desk, chair, couch, and two queen size beds. I often hear many people complaining about the comfort of asian hotel beds. I have to say that I often agree that the hotel beds are harder and the pillows are harder. The Westin Taipei beds however are very comfortable and soft. I slept very well in them. The airconditioner was also very good too. The weather was a bit hot and humid when I went. Going back to a cool hotel was very nice. I can't complain at all about the comfort of the bed or room.

The bathroom was very big, well lit, and filled with toiletries. There are separate shower and baths. The sink and counter are very spacious. The had the typical shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and handsoap. They also had shower caps, shaving kits, dental hygiene kits, an assortment kit of other commonly needed things, and a couple other things. I didn't use much of the other things since I brought most of my stuff. The hotel did a good job of preparing you if you didn't however.

I would recommend this hotel for almost anyone. This hotel will appeal to people looking for a place to sleep and spend a lot of time touring the city and also people that are looking for good hotel amenities and hotel comforts. I usually don't spend a lot of time in hotels, but I could probably eat, drink, and be entertained all in the Westin if I had a busy schedule and couldn't go out much. Happy travels everyone!

Room Tip: My room was 616. It faced the Nanjing East Road. They are constructing a building across the street...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank xbreadboyx

Singapore
Reviewed April 27, 2012

No the most recent, the lift say its age, but general areas are well maintained. Room seems recently renovated, 8th fl. SPG floor. Had a suite, 2 Samsung SmartTV, unlimited number of devices can get connected to wifi.
Gym is pretty small and cramped, 5 treadmills of which 1 was under maintenance and 1 stone-age... Weight rooms and cardio room are separated. Very busy in the morning.
The bar is a cigar bar, i.e. they don't serve beer and no cigarettes, for those interested... The no-beer thing is unpleasant after a long week !
Other noticeable point I liked: one of the very few hotel where they do not change the bedsheets if you leave the card somewhere else than the bed.
Starbucks just next door.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Frog_Singap

Switzerland
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Stayed two nights at the Westin Taipei and it was just amazing, when it comes to the quality of sleep. I just slept like a baby on their beds. It was so comfortable!
The room itself was nice too, big and bright with all the amenities. Staff is friendly and helpful. The location of the hotel is not too bad either, close to the metro stations. Breakfast is worth paying for. Between the classics and the order to cook, it was just perfect and delicious.
I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank enelym1978

Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Staying at the Westin while in Taipei on business. Could not ask for better service or nicer people.

• Stayed April 2012

Reviewed April 10, 2012 via mobile

Great location 5 min walk to Nanjing MRT and 15 min walk to Songjiang Nanjing Station. Clean and friendly staff. Pleasantly surprise that the staff at the Business Executive lounge noticed my soar throat and automatically made me a cup of green tea woth lime. Great attention to the details. My room also have a nice view of Taipei 101. Only set backset is the limited selection of room service and breakfast selection. Definitely enjoy my stay here.

Stayed April 2012