“Like Going Home...”

Ranked #51 of 565 Hotels in Taipei
CA
“Like Going Home...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2008

It was our 2nd stay at the Landis Taipei and my husband and I both felt like we were "coming home" as we entered the welcoming lobby and warm service of the Landis. We were picked up at the airport by the Landis car service and the driver was so accommodating and courteous. We didn't touch one single piece of luggage as he and another gentleman helped us load everything and ushered us into a beautiful BMW sedan with fresh water bottles ready to refresh us on our drive into Taipei.

Our check-in was smooth and the room was fresh, clean and like a welcome respite after our LONG flight from San Francisco. We were in a supreme room which we didn't find to be small at all. We had 3 pieces of large luggage which we tucked into a corner and it left us a lot of room to move around. We had requested a softer mattress when making the reservation and the bed was PERFECT!... The wonderful linens and duvet were luxurious and comfortable. Our morning breakfast was always good and the service was outstanding! We were always greeted by name each morning and it was so nice to be recognized immediately each day.

They have a lovely bakery on the lobby level that sells the most wonderful breads and pastries. It was my afternoon ritual to get a pumpkin bun and enjoy it with a cup of coffee. We are already missing Taipei and most of all, missing the wonderful Landis. We are already planning our next visit and the Landis will again be our home away from home.

• Liked — Service, food, decor, consistency
  • Disliked — Nothing - loved everything.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank luvtrav143

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2008

If your looking for great hotel service this is the place to be. At every stage and every level the staff could not do enough for you.
We chose this hotel because it was rated 1 for Taipei and we were not disappointed. The room was compact but immaculate.
It is a little off the tourist route and you do have about a 15-20 minute walk to the nearest MRT but once on the train moving around the city was easy enough.
We booked bed and breakfast and when we thought we would have to leave before breakfast were offered a breakfast box.
The hotel was not overpriced and the food both at breakfast and in the brasserie was good.

• Liked — Excellent service
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tconUk
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2008

I was in Taipei for a 2 day business trip. After seeing Landis hotel listed as #1 here, I was curious enough to give it a try. Landis is a small hotel right in the middle of Taipei city. It is not near any shopping malls but is a stone throw away from a Jilin Road, a road famous from all the small eateries. So if you are going to meetings or sightseeing, this is a good location.

First, let me list the weak point of this hotel. It is over 30 years old and the rooms are not big. The decor is only adequate. However, this is the extend of the weakness!! When I checked in, I was greeted by the warmest bellman and front office guy. The doorman, an older gentlemen in full costume was friendly, efficient and warm. He has obviously been in this job for a long time and it seems like the front door is his domain and he protects it with pride. This “warmness” was carried on throughout my stay; every requested was carried out with the fullest attention!

Although the room was a little small, it was more than compensated by the amenities and attention to details; free internet, great rainforest shower, comfortable bed and pillows, a study chair that is not design to frighten you when you sit in it, a DVD player, good lighting arrangement. I had breakfast and a early evening meeting in their Brasseries and was impressed again by the Chesterfield style décor and good service. It is the small things that make you appreciate the hotel.

The Landis reminds me of the old Mandarin Oriental in Hong Kong. If you are looking for a glamorous hotel in Taipei, this may not be the one for you. If you prefer a good base to go out for business or sightseeing, a friendly face to come back to and a very comfortable stay, I highly recommend this lovely gem.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — views
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank BacchusHK
Queensland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2008

This is my second stay at the Landis Taipei. The first visit was in a standard room and this most recent visit was in an executive suite.

The staff at this hotel are very welcoming. The lobby is practially overrun with doormen, bellboys, porters etc all of whom are extremely obliging. Although the hotel has many goodpoints I think the way the staff make you feel welcome is a highlight.

As for the rooms both the standard and the suite are good but the suite wins for being bigger and more comfortable. The suite was located on the side of the hotel, on a quiet street overlooking a park. The living area was a good size with a comfortable lounge setting in addition to the desk. The bedroom has a dressing table and mirror as well as another TV with DVD Player. There is a large walk in robe and a decent sized bathroom.

The standard room, which is pretty good really, is much more modern in its styling and it seems that these are at the front of the hotel which has a little more street noise.

The buffet breakfast has plenty of choice with both western and japanese/taiwanese style options. The only disappointment is that they seem to have switched to tea bags instead of leaf tea. The afternoon tea, served in the same restaurant, was a pleasant surprise. It would perhaps more accurately described as a high tea with a small cup of soup, a 3 tier stand of savoury and sweets and then another dish to finish. It was quite generous so I wouldn't order it if you had plans to go out somewhere for dinner. I'm not sure how much it cost as it was included in our package.

Of course I must acknowledge that the Landis is not really in the best or most fashionable location in Taipei. You can get around easily enough by taxi but it's not the same as being right in the middle of things.

In any event I would choose this hotel everytime regardless of any slight inconvenience caused by its location. I always feel like i am coming home when I arrive at the Landis.

• Stayed February 2008
2 Thank CharlesDP
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2008

Landis provides butler service and the check in is simple and quick. The working desk in the room in simple and neat with free High speed Internet. The chair is comfortable and provides back support. The concierge is very helpful and courteous. They make me feel like home.

• Liked — The service and room details
  • Disliked — From a friend
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank XiaoMai
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2008

The charges for this quaint, little hotel are not low. Except for the fact that it does not have a huge gym and a swimming pool, I think the hotel lives up to its standard as a major 5-star outfit in one of Asia's most exciting cities.

My only complaint -- a minor one -- is that the "walking" distance to the metro station is REALLY long, at least 20 minutes for a brisk walk and maybe 30 minutes for a stroll. Pollution in Taipei is significant and I must say the walk to the station was not a pleasant one.

Otherwise, the Landis really lives up to its reputation as a hotel with excellent and personalised service. I was there on holiday, but just in case I needed namecards, they printed out temporary name cards and my own stationery (personalised paper and pens) during my stay. Of course, there was no need to, but that touch of personal service is REALLY outstanding. In fact, this is the FIRST time in all my travels that a hotel had done such a thing for me.

The room was a bit on the small side, but that did not bother me. There was no separate shower but the decor -- obviously updated with renovations -- was chic and bordered on modernistic Art Deco style, with hints of Art Nouveau style (see golden "canopy" over the bed and the furniture).

As I was on holiday, I slept late most days and missed breakfast. I did not eat at any of the restaurants although the French bistrot was highly recommended by my Taiwanese friends.

The bed was comfortable, the amenities in the bathroom more than adequate and the tub deep enough for you to soak in with the bath salts provided.

The TV was so-so, with the usual stuff geared towards the business traveller. I did not see much of entertainment channels though, a surprise to me as Taiwanese local TV actually has lots of entertainment-centred channels which can be of very high quality.

The service and attitude displayed by the bellboys were of a very high standard I must say. Many of them proved to be highly informative and knowledgeable in their recommendation for taxis, airport transfer and late-night eats. As I was in Taipei over the New Year, these boys also had good recommendations for where to party for the countdown to 2008.

All in all, this stay was a highly satisfying one. If one can get preferential rates via Taiwanese friends, I think this hotel will be a good choice for business travel. As for a holiday, well, I may choose to try out other hotels but that doesn't mean I dislike the Landis.

• Liked — personalised service
  • Disliked — distance from the metro station
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sal the Fat Fish
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2008

Our stay at Landis was definitely a highlight of our week-long trip to Taipei. The staff is extremely courteous and accommodating. Exchanging money was very hassle-free. If you were to exchange money at a bank, they don't always accept older US bills, and the rate is not even that much better. But Landis accepted any and all types of US bills and exchanged it without any hassle.

The rooms are very spacious and comfortable. We had corner suites, and the sitting areas worked out tremendously when relatives came to visit. The mattresses may seem really firm according to US standards, but I thought they were really comfortable.

The complimentary buffet breakfast was delicious and had a lot of variety, including both Chinese and Western breakfast items. Towards the end of our stay, the wait staff during breakfast even remembered my beverage choices!

The rooftop health center was very clean and included flat screen TVs, fresh towels and bottled water.

We will definitely stay at Landis again.

• Liked — The staff
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family