“Gem in Beitou”

Grand View Resort Beitou
Ranked #39 of 585 Hotels in Taipei
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Before heading over to the hot spring resort, i checked their website and found it quite pricy however we still went and found the place to be exactly what we expected. Everything was organized, clean and the staff was more than helpful. The service really does make a difference. My partner and i chose to use the public hot spring and head towards lunch and high tea. Everything was amazing! the lunch was awesome and the little desserts were up to my expectations. Travelling there was also good because they have a shuttle that brings you from Beitou met and they bring you back when you are done. The driver was also really nice because it was raining that day and he gave us his umbrella. All in all, this place is great! I would definetly go back when i head over to taipei and stay a few nights.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Olivia K

Reviewed May 12, 2012

This place is amazing.

We booked a room with a private hot spring so that we can have numerous soaks in the sulphuric water. The room was huge. We loved that everything in the mini bar was free (and free to replenish), the nespresso machine, the Japanese toilet bowl, and the set of robes that we can walk freely around the hotel in.

Breakfast was a semi-buffet - selection of starters and bread, and order a main from three choices. The restaurant was posh, as is this 5 stars hotel.

What impressed us the most was the service. The hotel staff went out of his way to properly introduce the hotel and room facilities one by one in detail - from the TV to how to work the nespresso machine, to the toilet bowl, to the hot spring, to the room view. He was also patient with our enquiries on whether the timing worked out for us to head to Danshui / Maokong. He even started to tell us about the attractions at each place and how we should head there. He then arranged for the hotel shuttle bus to ferry us to and from the Beitou MRT station. Double thumbs up for the service.

The hotel is pricey but we enjoyed our stay very much so no gripes.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Rach C
Reviewed May 9, 2012

This was our third time visiting Beitou.

We stayed at the family style suite during our family trip to Taipei in April. Reservation was made through email. We requested to have 2 rooms on the top floor (6/F) and got a confirmation back from the hotel very quickly.

Upon arrival, we were told that no rooms were available on the top floor and they can only provide us with rooms on the lowest floor (2/F). The view of the rooms on the 2/F was awful: both rooms looked over an abandoned construction site (see pictures). Our vacation mood was completely ruined. We made a complaint about this at the front desk later on as we were confirmed with 6/F rooms during reservation. At the end, the hotel offered us a 10% discount. But in my view, a good hotel would proactively compensate the customer at check-in if they cannot deliver what was promised, rather than waiting for the customer to complain.

Beware that all the family style suites in the resort have the same facing, but one shouldn’t be able to see the awful scenery outside on the higher floors unless they lean out from the balcony. On the 2/F, we can see the awful scenery from almost everywhere in our room.

The rooms were nicely decorated. However, the cleanliness of the room was questionable. In the toilet area, there were dark patches on the wall (see picture). I tried to wipe them using a tissue and the tissue became black. Not sure those were mould or dirt left behind when the hotel was built.

The air conditioning system in the room was designed poorly. Strong cold air blew directly to the top part of the bed regardless of how I set the a/c. I actually got a cold the next day.

The semi open air hot spring facility was great, probably one of the biggest in Beitou. However, at the shower area, the water pressure was extremely weak (about 1/10 of what one would normally expect), which was completely unacceptable for a hot spring resort. There was only 1 other person using the shower and so I couldn’t imagine what it would be like if it was full.

There was a lounge area for hotel guess to use freely. From what I saw from other people’s blog, they used to have fresh pastry and sweets there. During our visit, the lounge only had prepackaged snacks and candies, which was disappointing. Not sure they were trying to cut down on costs or there were too few guests at the hotel that day.

We dined at the French restaurant. Food quality was okay but service was not uniform. Our main server was polite and excelled the job. However, one of the helpers was not. He took away the butter when we were still eating our bread. Later on during the dinner, he attempted to take away my dad’s plate when my dad was literally still eating off it. Not something you expect to happen at such a high end restaurant.

Breakfast was not the semi-buffet as noted at other people’s blog. It was just a set order.

In conclusion, this is not a bad hot spring resort. But you can get better service elsewhere in Beitou.

Room Tip: Avoid the family style suite on the lower floors as the views from the room are awful.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank L-Buster
Reviewed April 13, 2012

After a week of heavy schedule during my trip to Taiwan, I was here to come for the hot springs. You are so relax when you immerse in the white sulphur hot springs. As I was there during week days, there are very fews people down here.

The hotel is located at the hill top and surround by greens, air is fresh and cool. After the deep of at the hot spring, you could enjoy moment of elegant and quiet afternoon tea. A place for your relaxation either solo or few good friends.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 15, 2012

I did not actually stay at the hotel here, but I came here for a day trip to the hot springs. The great thing is that this resort offers private individual hot spring rooms so you do not have to bath with strangers if you'd prefer not to. They have 8 of these private rooms and each includes a hot spring, a resting area, bathroom, and shower. Upon entering the room, there is also a snack and bottle(s) of water for you. Afterwards, we went to have afternoon tea and this was one of the best afternoon teas I've had... the little desserts and pastries were exquisite... not too sweet, yet not bland. Our afternoon tea stand included a tasting of fruits, parfait, macarons, scones, little cakes, little tarts, etc. I would definitely recommend this place to friends.

Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
19  Thank jtml0802
Reviewed February 9, 2012

Hotel is located at uphill and quiet enviroment,
free hotel shuttle service from MRT train station to the hotel takes 5 minutes drive

Room was spacious with well decorated and equipped plus a balcony to view the scenery outside. (unfortuately, our room did not have a great view, but you can try to ask for a better view on your booking)
Two bathtubs serve cold and hot spring water separately.

Fast check in and check out.

Complimentary Breakfast set we chose one western or chinese style during our check-in
Complimentary tea set
Compliemtary bottled distilled water, mineral water, Nespresso coffee, tea, welcome fruit
And complimentary Japanese plum wine (serving at night, it was good to taste the wine while standing on the balcony or sitting on the couch after hot spring bath at night, sipping the hot wine in the cold night outside after hot spring bath, it was amazing and relax)

I enjoyed to have hot spring bath in my own room as well as the public room
There are two different sized public hot spring rooms serving men and ladies separately and room shift alternately. Each public room consists of several hot and cold spring pools and steam and sauna rooms. Free for guests use only. So, I could enjoy hot spring bath in one public room on check-in date and had a morning hot spring bath in the other public room next morning. Both rooms were different taste of decoration.

Bathroom was awesome with Japanese style toilet, hand held and rain showers, bathtubs, face cleansers, lotions, a complete set of toiletries ...

Overall: Relax, pleasant, quiet, a kind of refreshment. A place to experience another sort of resort on your short stay in Taipei, Taiwan.
Front desk service : considerable and courteous.
Grand and clean hotel. Pretty good reputation in Taipei city, Taiwan
Chinese breakfast was better.
Good for wedding anniversary, a romantic stay with a proposal.

No comment on hotel restaurants as the price was not reasonable. Instead I took taxi down to the night market to taste the traditonal Taiwanese eateries. Taxi fare costed me around TWD 100 from hotel to the downhill night market.

Room Tip: Stay in hotel on weekdays if you prefer quiet ambience with no kid screaming around you
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kelvin L
Reviewed December 28, 2011

I had a booking via a on-line booking agent. To avoid any problem, I sent an email to confirm with the hotel, and got back their reply within 5 minutes. My further email enquiry on transportation matters received their immediate attention. I appreciate so much of their quick attention to guest's emails.

The place is superb. Quiet, elegant and relaxing surroundings. You can have nothing to complain when you get into your beautiful room with all the free amenities, drinks, and snacks provided. Excellent!

The service of the reception, shuttle and front of house staff is excellent and courteous. The staff there were caring, warm, and very thoughtful.

We arrived early before the check-in time and they have a polite staff offered to lead us to have some snack and coffee in the free lounge to wait for our room and tour the hotel facilities. Excellent and thoughtful service.

The food, though, is on the expensive side, and the staff in the place for breakfast was not as warm as the other staff. Same problem for the ones handling the onsen registration. But I must say that they are courteous, but just not so warm to the guests only.

They have a discount for hotel guests for use of the spa service. I chose one, and really enjoyed that after a dip in the onsen. I really felt that it was so relaxing and refreshing.

I would definitely recommend this place to any one who likes to find a refreshing and relaxing place to slow down and enjoy life out of the hetic schedule in a trip.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple