“Cosy, clean and friendly staffs”

Ranked #2 of 574 Hotels in Taipei
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I stayed here for a 4D3N trip to Taipei. It already scored good points on first impressions when the reservation staff took time to reply my tripadvisor e-mail to them and promptly arranged a taxi pick-up service with a chauffeur from the airport. On arrival, check-in was fast and reception counter staff were polite and friendly. I was happy to note that they had fulfilled my requests from an earlier e-mail to give me a high floor (8th floor) and with a "reasonable view". The room was pretty spacious for 3.5 star hotel and beds and pillows were comfy enough. Bathroom and toilet come separate which maybe a bit of inconvenience, but I like that they have an automated toilet seat cleaner installed, very high-tech! Toiletries are pretty standard but well stocked. Only the Deluxe rooms come with free drinks in the mini-bar, as mine was an Elite. I only got Doritos and cookies and of course complimentary tea/coffee. When enquired at reception counter, the staff noted I could have free-flowing coffee/chocolate drink at the lobby. This is certainly a plus point though the free coffee/chocolate drink was no gourmet coffee but still acceptable. I also like that the hotel offer their local Taiwanese teas (oolong tea) instead of usual black tea in the rooms.
Breakfast on my 1st morning was pretty disappointing. The food was mostly more suitable for local consumption (more of Chinese food) and the variety is limited. I would have preferred a more diverse breakfast spread with bacon strips, sausages (not the local Taiwanese sausages), croissants, Danish bakeries, pancakes, fresh fruit juices instead of cordials, eggs cooked in anyway (they only offered scrambled eggs). But then again, this is not a 5-star hotel, so all in all, their breakfast spread is commendable. However, I was surprise the next morning, they served my favourite bacon strips!
As it's my first visit to Taiwan, though I could converse in Mandarin (I can't really read Chinese characters lol) I asked for directions from the reception staff. They were very helpful with tips and guides to help me plan my journey to visit attractions in the city. They explained in detail which buses, trains and MRT stations I should take and what are the recommended attractions of the city. Though the staff's spoken English may not be that proficient, but they are very helpful.
Location of the hotel has been a major complaint from many Tripadvisor reviewers and I was quite wary if I had chosen the wrong hotel. However, one may commute to nearest MRT station as the bus stop is just opposite the Mos Burger shop that is just around corner. Take the right bus (220, 612, 902), and it's an approximate 15-20 minutes ride to Jiantan MRT station depending on traffic conditions. This MRT station is the Red line transit, hence it's quite a distance if one wants to travel to main commercial and shopping district of Taipei 101, Ximen where it's mostly served by the Blue line transit. I travelled to Taipei Zoo and Maokong gondolas (Yellow line transit) and distance from the hotel is really far!
But fear not as they are also nearby attractions around hotel such as Shilin night market, Sogo shopping centre, Takashimaya etc. As mentioned earlier, as the MRTs around the hotel are of the Red line transit, a good tourist attraction place would be the Beidou Hotspring (take bus to Shilin MRT, continue with the transit until you reach Beidou station, then take the corresponding train to the Xinbeidou station.
There are also plenty of shops around the hotel with good food to eat. I ate at one of the nearby local Taiwanese small shop-houses and the food was good! Starbucks, Swensens is within walking distance as are the convenience stores such as Watson. There's also a nearby famed Eslite bookstore.
Housekeeping services are also top notched. One day, my partner and I left the room early in the morning to go to the Beidou Hotspring, we forgot to put up the "clean my room" sign on the front door and left the "please do not disturb" sign attached instead. When we got back to the room, we realised our mistake and the room was not made up. Towels that had been used were thrown on the floor, the bed was not made up and it was just a mess! And it was already close to 10pm. I proceeded to call Housekeeping to see if they could make-up my room, and to my surprise the staff noted they would. I was prepared to get an answer that Housekeeping services does not operate at his hour but they still agreed to clean up my room!
It may not be a posh and luxurious hotel, but Dandy hotel shines for its outstanding and professional level of service. Staff here are also warm and friendly. Though I must say that at 4000 NTD a night, it's pretty expensive compared to hotels in my home city (Kuala Lumpur). But I truly enjoyed my stay here and would definitely return to stay here in my next visit to Taipei.

Room Tip: Take the Deluxe rooms if want to have mini-bars stocked up with drinks
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
PeggyHsiao, Supervisor at Dandy Hotel - Tianmu Branch, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for choosing Dandy Hotel Tianmu as your accommadation in your Taipei trip. It was a pleasure to know that your stay was comfortable and enjoyable. Your feedback truly makes our efforts meaningful and full of joy. We appreciate that you can see our efforts on our service, our front desk staffs, house keeping and our breakfast. Also we are glad that you are satified with our breakfast rotated menu. It is our pleasure to make your satisfaction during your stay. Presently we offer a special rate for our return guests. Please visit our Online reservation and go to "Package" to book the Return Guest Exclusive promotion.
Once again, thank you so much. We are looking forward to seeing you soon.

There are newer reviews for Dandy Hotel - Tianmu Branch

Reviewed September 10, 2013

The Dandy hotel in Tianmu had great service and comfortable rooms. I finally has the time to write this review. I had stayed in Dandy lots lots lots times due to family business in Taiwan last year and earlier this year. Every staff is very helpful and friendly. The hotel is small, clean but very modern. Breakfast every morning, laundry room, free water, snack....very good place to stay for a long stay customer like me. Thank you so much for all the help to make my stay in Taiwan much easier.
s.c. Hwang

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
PeggyHsiao, Supervisor at Dandy Hotel - Tianmu Branch, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate for your support to Dandy Hotel Tianmu. We are happy to know that you are satisfied with our service. It was a pleasure to know that your stay was comfortable and enjoyable. Hopefully we can serve your family again in the very near future. Presently we offer a special rate for our return guests. Please visit our Online reservation and go to "Package" to book the Return Guest Exclusive promotion.
Once again, thank you so much. We are looking forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Fantastic hotel if you want to experience the quieter side of Taipei. For about the cost of a budget hotel in the United States you get an amazing stay. You will be greeted by friendly staff. Our room was very clean and modern. Free snacks and water every day in the room! Comfy bed. Breakfast? We looked forward to it every morning. Not the typical cereal and make your waffle breakfast but an entire buffet of amazing dishes. Really high quality and fresh. One morning the was a violin player also. Location was perfect for us. Just north of Taipei. If you get off at the Zishan MRT station its just about a 15 minute stroll where you walk passed local shops. You get to see things you would normally miss and its fun to walk with locals.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
PeggyHsiao, Supervisor at Dandy Hotel - Tianmu Branch, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for choosing Dandy Hotel Tianmu. We are glad that you enjoyed your trip in Taipei. Making your satisfacion is our pleasure. It is an encouragement for us that you shared your feedback on this website to let more traveler know about us. Once again, we appreciate your support. Hope to see you soon!!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

A spotless hotel where its wonderful staff can't do too much for you. Nice walk from the nearest metro station. And the price is certainly right. The place definitely lived up to its excellent advanced billing.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank BrianGTimmins

Dear Valued Guest,

We are glad that you have a pleasurable trip with us. Our goal is to make every guest has a wonderful place to stay and feels like home. Thank you for choosing Dandy Hotel Tianmu as your accommodation in Taipei, and it is also good for you to discover that Tianmu is what a nice and quiet please in the busy Taipei city. We are looking forward to seeing you soon. Please be advised to visit our website and go to "Package" to book the “Return Guest Exclusive” promotion which we offer a special rate for our return guests.
Once again, thank you so much. See you next time!

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Booked 2 rooms Dlx family and Dlx dbl. There are no connecting rooms in this hotel. Family room has bathtub and rainshower while dbl only a rainshower. Love the launderette that allows you to do some washing of clothes (detergent also provided). Other than location being far from train station, it is overall a good value hotel. Their breakfast selection though small was good.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank VONinSG
Liane L, Assistant Manager at Dandy Hotel - Tianmu Branch, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Many thanks for choosing Dandy Hotel- Tianmu branch and sharing your experience about staying here.

It was a great pleasure to know that your stay was enjoyable. Although we are not so close to MRT station, there is a bus stop across to our hotel. The bus comes about every 10 minutes. It only takes 10 minute drive to transfer to MRT station. And our reception always can assist you to arrange your itinerary in an easy way.

Thank you again for your review. We look forward to having another opportunity to welcome you again soon.

Liane Lee
Assistant Manager, Dandy Hotel - Tianmu Branch

Reviewed August 23, 2013

The location is a bit far from the MRT Zishan Station. It was a pain walking 20 minutes from the hotel to the MRT under such hot weather. But the receptionists are more willing to help and call you for a cab. You'll be charge from the hotel to the MRT station like NT$80-90. The staffs were very friendly and attentive. They are very helpful to give you instruction and tips on where and how to go to places and different tourist spots. Rooms were relatively large and very clean. Nice bathroom with automatic toilet bowl. Breakfast selection was very good and the hotel staffs were willing to accommodate any special need in breakfast. Hotel also provided free Wi-Fi and free laundry services which I feel very nice. Nothing beats the staff in the reception area standing up to greet the guests warmly after a hectic day of sightseeing & shopping. I strongly suggest in visiting most part of the city MRT, bus or taxi. The MRT is good, safe, clean and easy to use. You can buy a card that is good for 1 day, 2 days, 3 days, 5 days I’m not sure if there's a 7 day card. But for the 1 day pass its NT$180 valid for bus and train. the 2 day pass is 320 valid also for bus and train. It is worth having to use the MRT. I also like their 24 hour free coffee and snacks. We also avail their Airport transfer were in the car that we used was a luxury Nissan car that was nice. My mom like their free snack the strawberry cookies. I hope they will send us some of it. LOL :)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking your precious time to share the experience at Dandy Hotel with TripAdvisor’s viewers. I believe your suggestions about the traffic and our hotel will be very helpful for the travelers planning their trip to Taipei.

We were delighted to know that you have a wonderful time with us. It is our honor to provide a relaxing space in Tianmu Area. Thank you for giving such a highlight on our coffee service and other faclities. We all look forward to welcoming your family back in the very near future. We will share more interesting spots with you. Hope you enjoyed this area as much as we have.

Liane Lee
Assistant Manager, Dandy Hotel - Tianmu Branch

Reviewed August 20, 2013

The Dandy Hotel is located just off a busy street, and the taxi drivers knew where it was. Most of the guests seemed to be foreigners, probably because of the no. 1 rating from TripAdvisor. The rooms are modern and pleasant in design, and the lighting and air-conditioner controls are touch panels, high-tech in looks. The amenities include not just two bottles of water but three cans of soft drinks and a small bag of cookies. The beds are comfortable. The service is excellent, and breakfast is included. The slight down side to the hotel is that it is not in easy walking distance to the nearest Mass Rapid Transit, but taxis are many and inexpensive in Taipei.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Charles T
PeggyHsiao, Supervisor at Dandy Hotel - Tianmu Branch, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent review of Dandy Hotel - Tianmu Branch on TripAdvisor.
It is our pleasure to know that you are satisfied with our service. As our goal is to make every guest's stay comfortable and enjoyable, your comment is truly a great encouragement to all of us.
Once again, thank you for choosing Dandy Hotel - Tianmu Branch and please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of any assistance. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.