“One of the best hotels.”
Review of W Taipei

Ranked #11 of 574 Hotels in Taipei
Austin
“One of the best hotels.”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Yes, the W Taipei is a real 5 star hotel that lives up to its reputation. Five star hotels range from classic, old, and famous, to new, techo, and cool, and the W is at the extreme cool end. The reception area is on the 10th floor reached by an elevator with dance-throbbing music. The modern art begins the second you step out of the elevator. The reception desk is well staffed by a friendly and engaging crew who make you feel welcome; in fact all of the staff is friendly and adds greatly to the ambiance. After a quick check-in process, I was escorted to the elevator as the bars and restaurants (total of 5) were described.
I had a standard room on the 22nd floor described as something like “fabulous”, and you know the second you walk in you will like it. The first night there was an apple and marzipan “carrot” in a bucket of chocolate crumbs as welcoming gift. The new room had floor to ceiling windows (your rate will increase if you have a view of Taipei One), a large comfortable bed with lots of pillows, , high thread-count sheets, a futon lounge in front of the window, big flat screen TV with lots of channels, iPhone docking, and a big working area. Everything is controlled electrically and the window system offers your choice of black-out drapes or see-through shear treatment, a white noise machine, and variety of lighting treatments.
The bathroom was also uber-modern with a square bathtub, sink (but not much counter space), and big shower with two types of shower heads. The toilet sports the almost top of the line Japanese toilet…no music while you use it, but the lid lifts automatically when approached. It has the full range of bliss soaps and amenities. There are throw away slippers that you will not throw away. There were multiple bottles of free water.
Of course there are some things that could be better. The street noise was not completely masked even with the white noise machine, water escaped from the shower and soaked the mat, and there was no evening turn down service (maybe this is a feature of the old classic hotels).
This wonderfulness comes at a price and there is nothing inexpensive about this place. The split of very nice wine in the mini-bar had the full-bottle equivalent price of $120. There is free internet (uncomfortably) right in front of the reception desk, but in the room it is quite expensive.
The location is next to the Taipei bus terminal (about $5/one hour to the airport) and over the city hall subway station. Under the hotel is a subterranean restaurant row, and the best-high end shopping is adjacent. At least on the weekend, there is a complete circus act/musical entertainment “party” in the arcade between the department stores. It is a short 10 minute walk to the convention center. The hotel restaurant buffet is nothing short of excellent.
This hotel is exactly what you would expect from the best, even from a standard room, and, I highly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank FlyguyAustin
wtaipeiofficial, Manager at W Taipei, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear FlyguyAustin,

Great thanks for this detailed review and the “one of the best hotels” recognition from you. We are so thrilled to know that you love our hotel in many aspects. Regarding the inconveniences that you encountered in the room, we have already informed our service department to make the improvement. Complimentary in-room Wi-Fi for all SPG (Starwood Preferred Guest) members. Thank you again for this inspiring and comprehensive feedback, and we wish to see you soon and enjoy our hotel.

W Taipei

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We've traveled to Taipei several times in the past year and this was the first time we stayed at the W Taipei. This is a true 5-star property that is well managed. Service was fantastic (always quick with requests/questions, reliable with directions/suggestions, and followed up on restaurant/spa reservations)! During checkin, another guest either intentionally or inadvertently cut in front of us in the line and proceeded to the front desk with checkin. The staff politely told him that there's a line formed behind him and asked him to line up. I've seen many hotels that would say nothing in these kinds of situation, but it was nice that W's staff had the proper training (or judgment) to do what's right. Our room was very spacious, modern and featured nice appliances/amenities. Everyone spoke English and Chinese. Our room was not very high and overlooked a courtyard a few floors below. In our first night, we could hear loud music playing from outside, but it was tolerable once we turned on the sleeping/noise-cancelling sound device in the room). The gym was quite big and featured new/modern equipment -- plenty of towels and bottled water (also a fruit basket). The hotel is connected to a mall, subway and bus station and has plenty of taxis so it's very convenient. Wifi connection was also pretty fast and generally reliable. Definitely will come back to this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
wtaipeiofficial, Manager at W Taipei, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear RFong,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We are delighted to know that you had a wonderful time in our hotel and rated our hotel a true 5-star property in terms of our facilities and services. It is our honor to provide you an unforgettable memory during your stay, and we will definitely look forward to seeing your return, too!

OCALA, FL
Reviewed April 25, 2013

This hotel cannot be beat., great location, excellent service, outdoot heated 25 meter pool, terrific spa and fitness area. I have now stayed 5-6 times and always consistently good. Bar area very crowded at night, good music, quality cocktails, very popular hotel with local in crowd.
Only small complaint is the quality of the food, which is slightly below par with the rest of the hotel. Rooms are clean , spacious, large TV, French press coffee maker, etc. Everthing you may need. As Spg member free Wi-Fi in room. Certainly expensive but worth every dime. Enjoy

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank ROADBIKE
wtaipeiofficial, Manager at W Taipei, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear ROADBIKE,

Thank you for this uplifting review and continuous patronizing us! We are thrilled to hear that you love our location, facilities and excellent services from our talents. Your suggestion towards our food quality has been seriously taken note for immediate enhancement. Thank you for your feedback again and look forward to seeing you soon.

Ludhiana, India
Reviewed April 25, 2013

we were 3 friends went to taipei for one night and stayed in hotel w in fantastic suite. there was bath tub near my bed from where i can see taipei 101.This is definite a five stars hotel.The staff speaks perfect english and very professional.The suite was very upscale and clean. Shopping center is next door,and Taipei 101 is about ten minutes away(walking).Highly recommend their breakfast buffet,with great food and service. At night we enjoyed night party which was in our hotel only this is newly build hotel in taipei. thanks to architecture who made this.

Room Tip: take fantastic suite
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank honey00033
Dear honey00033,

Many thanks for the inspiring review on us. We are pleased to know that you love our hotel in many aspects. The recognition of “definite a five star hotel” by you is truly contributed not only by the architect, but the interior designers and more importantly, by the services from our talents. We will definitely look forward to having your visit again to make your next trip to Taipei as wonderful as this time.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Knowing most W hotels in the world, staying at the W Taipei was still pleasantly surprising. It surpasses the praised W Hong Kong in quality of property and service significantly.

Check in was good.I was blown away by the W insider (Jessica), who did an amazing job. She was prepared when I arrived, knew my profile, even my interests and could recommend to me many places to go regarding food, sight seeing and shopping, specifically to my taste.
Through the chatting about food venues and places for going out the check in took quite more then half an hour, which I didn't mind at all, even arriving with a red eye at Taipei and quite tired at the hotel.
The early check in, even while the hotel was fully booked, is positively worth to be mentioned.

The hotel itself is very new, still in top shape and conveniently located at City Hall in the posh financial district of Taipei. So with the MRT just 50m away you have an easy access, at arrival as with visiting different places. Taxis (competing for an early death by driving) are so cheap though that the MRT is not the best solution all the time.

Room:
The large (one bedroom) 'Marvelous Suite' I had came in top shape and with lots of different areas to sit, work, lounge... I made use of that a quite a bit. In my opinion this is mentionable since many high end hotel provide hardly usable working and lounging spaces in the suites. The interior designer working for the W had a good hand and cultivated a modern 50s style, like a very welcome synergy of 'Mad Men' came to 2013... with amazing results. I love the living room of that suite.
The bedroom is roomy, bright and conveniently furnished and comes with gimmicks like iPod/Phone dock (no USB for Android thoug, bad) or the the "white noise machine", which I actually used due to the noise from the bar downstairs up until 3 am in the morning - the bar in the W is a very happening place right now in Taipei.
Also very annoying, there are power plugs in the bedroom but just Asian connectors - and I was not in the mood calling for an adapter at 3 am in the morning... still I needed my alarm for the morning. So plugin the phone in at the desk and hoping the get awake from that is not in the field of high quality I otherwise experienced here.

The bathroom is quite amazing, good water pressure, the sinks a little splashy though. You can get easily wet pants by washing your hands. I loved the great working Japanese toilet seats.The bathroom amenities were restocked every day, if used or not. The women at home will be happy about that, since the 'W shampoo' and 'Body Butter' belong to the most desired product from my journeys.

Splash / Pool:
For Taipei and the area the hotel is located, they did a good job of a decent pool with inviting appeal. Just don't expect a garden or a cozy feel. It is still a W we're talking about. So think more in 'cool style'... good enough that on one side the outer part of one of the hippest bars in Taipei is located there.

Breakfast:
I was not impressed by the breakfast buffet at all. The coffee was decent but not great. The croissants hard, old, tasteless, just terrible, the butter just lousy. The fruits were kinda OK but I would expect a lot(!) more in quality. The sausage and cheese I tried more out of curiosity were weak also. The warm food looked OK. But I did not find a decent rice soup, although they had muschi congee style stuff, which I guess Chinese prefer over the Thai style rice soup.
All in all, for an European (French/Italian) taste for breakfast it was quite weak. An US fella or British guy, who enjoys eggs and whatever in the morning might see that differently.

Service:
The service I experienced is amazing. Greeted by name pretty much anywhere, getting a table as a guest of the hotel at the highly demanded and hip "in-bar" for which people in fashionable outfits lined up on Saturday night, provides the feeling of a 'valued guest'. The hotel staff speaks perfectly english and was highly motivated to do their job to the best of their ability and beyond.

House keeping did a terrific job, of cleaning the room and being available without being annoying. A tech guy provided me with VGA and HDMI cables to connect my notebook to the big TV. Also he was helpful in his approach and capable of speaking enough english for th etask which is rare in Asia. Normally the communication with these guys is more using 'hands and feet'.

Bar on 31st (the dry Tanqueray Ten Martini "washed"....):
My negotiations for the perfect martini of my desire was quite successful, they even had my favorite Gin in stock, the rare 'Tanqueray Ten' and despite the missing 'Noilly Prat' for vermouth (please get this!!!), the cocktail came out quite decent. For the second round the bartender came himself to my table to check upon my opinion and if he can improve it anyhow for my liking. That is highly appreciated. The olives were a little weak but that is common in Asia.
The complementing view on the 31st floor towards the 101 (it was the highest building in the world from 2004-2010... or somewhat like that) together with more then decent cocktails and a conversation with a friend not seen for five years is a memory I cherish from that stay.

Value for money:
The price tag is hefty. Ok, during my stay the hotel was completely booked which contributed to that issue I guess. But in general this W competes in price with the W in Hong Kong and wins that a most often... that does not make sense. Taipei is in general a lot cheaper then Hong Kong. Even the W in Singapore comes more reasonable... I don't get this thinking at all.

Not sure if I will be a regular in the future or will try another property another time to find out different values for money.. the Le Meridien Taipei is quite a contender for that... but my next stay in the W in a few weeks is already booked. So they must have done something right and probably not only one thing :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank FoodieOnTourdotcom
Dear FoodieOnTourdotcom,

You made our day! Your detailed review is not only inspiring but also helpful for us to improve our services – we have already started using your review to improve! With that, we could keep surprising our guests not only by the considerate and trendy design and facilities but also by the exceptional services from our talents just like what you have experienced during your stay. We are also thrilled to know that you had a perfect time in our Yen Bar, with your Tanqueray Ten Martini and the unforgettable memories with an old friend. However we feel sorry to hear the inconveniences that you encountered in the breakfast buffet, and we have already forwarded your suggestions to our Beverage & Food department for future improvement. Thank you again for this comprehensive review, and we will definitely look forward to welcoming you again.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We did quite some research on the internet before coming to Taipei to celebrate my birthday. The W is not the cheapest option, but its all worth it! We had a package including breakfast, cocktails and 101-view!!

After traveling around the world, very frequently staying in medium to high-end properties, its not always easy to understand why certain hotels just more expensive than others, but the W was definately able to differentiate and provide the wow-effect we were looking for! You just dont know what to do, sleeping is a waste of time as you have to enjoy everything else, but then the bed is so great that it's a waste not to have a very good sleep in it!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jeroen B
Dear Jeroen B,

We love your review! We can’t sleep either with our excitement, but our W Bed is so so cozy… We are escalated to know that you had a wonderful birthday celebration experience with us and consider your stay is all worth it. We hope you can enjoy your birthday again with us next year!

San Gabriel, California
Reviewed April 20, 2013

This is definite a five stars hotel.The staff speaks perfect english and very professional.The rooms are very upscale and clean.Lucky us,our room was facing Taipei 101,second tallest buliding in the world.Shopping center is next door,and Taipei 101 is about ten minutes away(walking).Highly recommend their breakfast buffet,with great food and service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank darindad
wtaipeiofficial, Manager at W Taipei, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear darindad,

It is such an honor to receive such a great comment from you. We are thrilled to know that you found our hotel perfect in location, room design, food and services from our talents. Thank you for your recommendation of W Taipei and hope to see you again soon.