“Our hotel of choice in Taipei”
Review of W Taipei

Ranked #19 of 578 Hotels in Taipei
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Being on top of the subway station is unbeatable. You can literally stay in the same area no matter what the weather is. Location is perfect for exploring Taipei.
The hotel itself is nicely decorated. The staffs are young and energetic.
The room is huge on par with the ones in Macau. Nice view as well in our room at 21/F. My only complain is that the bed is too soft though my wife say she loves it.
Cannot comment too much on food since we only have breakfast. Nice and decent choice I must say.
We will stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I used to love Regent (formerly Four Seasons) at Taipei, then Shangri La, but now am totally in love with the new W Hotel Taipei.

1. The room is somply amazing. I love the daybed thingy by the window where you can view the street below. It even comes w/ a pretty fleece for cover.
2. The bar is a really great touch. I really like the new bar design of W Hotels in its newer properties! Excellent contrast of colors and use of space.
3. The desktop connection for computer is wonderful! It's designed with business traveler in mind.
4. The service and food were both excellent at the bar and the restaurant. I love the purposely mismatching furniture in the restaurant to give a "home kitchen feel."
5. The lobby is not on the 7th floor, so there is actually just the bell desk at the first floor. it does free up a lot of traffic.
6. the location is excellent, near Belle Vista (ultra luxury mall) and bunch other regular malls/department stores, and Taipei 101, and best clubs/bars of Taipei. I personally recommend the salon inside belle vista. I swear they wash every strand of your hair individually! ok they didn't do that, but it felt like it. also, the green tea latte was amazing in the basement of belle vista.
7. i can't say enough of the room, especially the beautiful and cute bathroom.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Very stylish Hotel in the heart of modern Taipeh. Centrally located close to the Congress center and Taipeh 101 (2 min by Taxi) and close to many shopping centers. Excellent service, very modern and stylish room, but also very comfortable. Top bathroom with rain shower and japanese Toilet. One of the best Hotels I have ever checked in. The breaktfast is also highly recommendable. Very cool pool and lounge area on 10th floor, that turns into a late night lounge club at night where you can get nice cocktails. Overall, highly recommendable.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 29, 2012

The food is great but the service is average at best. The youthful attitude of some of the floor staff leads to borderline unprofessional work ethic.Don't all me dude at a place that is charging Ritz Carlton prices without the service. The trendy music is a tad loud and the hotel decor is cold and unwelcoming. Rooms are fine.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Chris S
wtaipeiofficial, Manager at W Taipei, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Dear Chris S,

Thanks for your recent review of W Taipei.
We appreciate that you like our delicacies and room however we value your feedback about our staff and take this seriously. Meanwhile, we are sorry for the tad loud music and our hotel décor doesn’t fall into your favorite category. We are glad you had the chance to stay with us and do hope that you will try us again soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed September 29, 2012

After an extensive regional tour this was an excellent choice for the final five days. Centrally located, contemporary rooms with all the essentials.

Other than a few immature staff, the service was excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for one facing Taipei 101.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 27, 2012

For our extended weekend in Taipei we had the choice between the Le Meridién and the W for accommodation. We decided to go with the W since we are comparably young (late twenties/early thirties) and the Meridien is usually attracting an older crowd. Upon arrival, the greeting staff was immediately available, opened the doors, and took full care of all luggage. At the ground floor, only a concierge desk is available. While key positions in the W have been filled with native English speakers, that crucial point of first contact seems to be always manned by a rather shy Taiwanese person.

If I had not known that the "real" check-in is on the 10th floor, an awkward silence might have happened. The check-in at the 10 was swift and efficient - foreigners are immediately served by native speakers and this is a true relief - especially given the fact that the 10th floor is converted in some kind of a club environment with music blasting and open-space bars in the night. The whole hotels is designed for trendiness and appeals to the younger clubbing lounge crowd with light shows, bright indirect ping/red/blue lights, and music literally everywhere. Although it looks very good, it can be tricky to properly navigate, and it just feels slightly strange to push through a clubbing crowd in a lounge environment after a 15hr flight to check-in.

I forgot the room name we stayed in (just below the suite class) but I was more than happy with the look and feel of the room. A very stylish yet functional bathroom with a nice shower and a toilet area surrounded by a detached bath tub. Little specialties such as a movable wall that enabled a view over downtown Taipei while in the bath tub made this a very pleasant experience. A slight annoyance though was the absence of skin lotion. Especially after a very long flight, I would have appreciated a simple potion of lotion over the wide selection of liquid face wash, liquid body wash gel, face soap bar, and body soap bar.

The beds were soft, huge (we had two doubles), and equipped with the W signature linen. Very nice. I was also very happy to finally have identified a room that acknowledges my need for power plugs: enough for a notebook and camera at the desk area, iPad, iPhone, misc. device at each bed - no problem! Finally!

We have not had breakfast at the restaurant but opted for the in-room dining options. Although quite good, the offering were nothing to write home about and featured some rather irritating aspects: at the last day I just wanted something quick before my very early flight and ordered the breakfast sandwich. Although the sandwich itself came on an English muffing, two slices of plain dry toast were on the plate as well but with nothing to eat this with (such as jam, butter, etc.). Furthermore, please don't put ketchup on the eggs - it is not a hamburger.

The location of the hotel is perfect with the 101 close by, a big department store for the shopping needs literally attached, several dining options in walking distance, as well as always-available transportation (even with a bus terminal on the other side of the hotel).

Another positive aspect is the customer service attitude of the hotels staff. In other W hotels, I have been lectured at 2am in the night to only use the appropriate quick dial buttons and not to expect all my requests to be handled by just one call. In the W Taipei is was a joy to order airport transportation, a quick in-room breakfast paired with a wake-up reminder, and a quick check-out for 4am with just the anything/anytime button.

Overall, a truly lovely stay - we'll be definitely back! My wife and me agreed on not even considering other hotels in Taipei anymore and just book this one.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank super-grobi
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Stayed for a few nights last week. Other reviewers (including myself previously) have provided the positive aspects of this hotel. I have however, set out below suggestions for even more improvement:

1. I cannot say enough about how 1st floor concierge is important given that guests at this hotel meet the concierge first (given that check-in is on the 10th floor). Concierge need to do more smiling and greeting, and be attentive. Not to hide behind their concierge desk and bury themselves with paperwork or phone calls

2. Yes, the upbeat music throughout the hotel is good and lifts the spirits. But please ensure it is not too loud such that one can hear it from the guest rooms. I experienced that recently but I was not sure whether the music was coming from the hotel's music system or another guest's room. Annoying when you are trying to get some rest

3. Breakfast at the "Kitchen Table". Great fare, spread and service. But do chop and change, introduce new items to the breakfast spread for greater variety. I have stayed at the hotel numerous times and they remain pretty much the same offering (other than changing the physical location of the egg and bread stations). Recently during breakfast, the entire large glass top table at the restaurant just broke and crashed onto the floor into little pieces. This was a table with guests dining on it. Kudos to staff for being prompt in the cleanup and apologising to guests at the restaurant for frightening them with the crash/loud sound. Next day, however, I noticed that table was replaced with yet another glass top table. Why not a wood top table like the rest of the tables in the restaurant especially after the dangerous episode which I think fortuitously no one was injured?

Otherwise, great hotel in great location!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
wtaipeiofficial, Manager at W Taipei, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2012

Dear pedigreebull,

We really appreciate you staying with us again and sharing your feedback, it’s our goal to continue to refine our service and standards where possible to meet and exceed our guest expectations.

We are glad you like the convenience of our hotel location and overall hotel experience however we truly feel sorry for the concierge services and upbeat-energetic music - which you have identified areas for our further improvement. We will look into this. In relation to the kitchen table, it’s great our staff reacted quickly to the incident and following this we have had all glass tables checked for the glass tension to ensure this does not occur. We are glad you like the breakfast selection and recently with our new Executive Sous Chef are making changes as you suggested.

We will surely pass your comments to our service departments for further improvement and consideration. Thank you and wish to see you again at W Taipei where we hope you experience improvement from your recommendations.

Warmest Regards,