“I thought better than W, but not amazing” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Le Meridien Taipei

Le Meridien Taipei
Ranked #55 of 564 Hotels in Taipei
Shanghai
“I thought better than W, but not amazing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

I've stayed at several of the top hotels in Taipei, including the W, Grand Hyatt, and Far Eastern Shang-rila. I find the GH and the Shangrila too old now to compete. W is Le Meridien's sister SPG hotel, and the star of the Taipei hotel scene. To be honest though, while I found the W to have more vibe--the same found in W's everywhere--I actually found the Le Meridien to be more comfortable. The rooms are acceptable. Comfortable and well laid out, but not particularly big. The color scheme is flattering, and more neutral than the W, which I think targets a younger customer. I also think the Le Meridien's location is slightly better than the Ws (although they're literally a five minute walk from each other). I'd say if you're in Taipei on holiday and want a more hip feel, go W. If you're a business person and want to relax and get some work done, go Le Meridien.

The service, I thought, was only acceptable for a five star. There aren't enough bellhops, and they suffer from a common problem that all three or four people will cluster around one fancy car, leaving all other customers trying to haul their bags out themselves. Extremely irritating.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ricedish

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Newport Beach, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

The hotel is touted as an artsy hotel and they are very proud of the art they displayed. I liked it but don’t know if that is something people looked for when you go to a hotel. Been it is a new hotel, there are many impressive decorations and technologies so from the technology stand point, I would give them 5 stars. However, when I travel for business, I only need two things from hotels, to meeting people (friend or business) and to have a good night sleep. This hotel did not do well on either one. Please understand that this review is purely from my own perspective, YMMV.

1. I had to have a quick meeting with a vendor and sign a contract so I asked if there is a quiet, sit down place for business discussion. No, the only place you can sit down is the coffee shop and you must order a drink or coffee. But I don’t need a drink, I just need a table to sit down and sign contracts. Sorry – got a sincere but blank stare back from front desk. There are a couple of flat sofas in front of the elevator but they are mostly occupied by tourists or people waiting for guests, cannot talk there. Very disappointed, any business hotel has a meeting area that is free and quiet. Some even provide free coffee all day. There is NO free coffee anywhere in this hotel, unbelievable. And since this hotel is in the middle of tourist attraction, there are people everywhere. So I end up had to go somewhere else.

2. The A/C was blowing right at my head when I was sleeping, caused me to have stuffy nose the next day so I asked if they can do something to turn the vent away – the answer is no, they cannot, and that was the end of the conversation. Last time I had the same problem in another luxury hotel, they moved me to another room immediately - the staff came to the room and pack, move and unpack all my luggage, while I was away, and they apologized profusely. Not here, so I asked for a thinner blanket so that I can turn off the A/C during the night (they have a thick goose down. Don’t know why, it was 85 degree during the day). When I came back, there was a thin, furry blanket folded on the bed, that was it, not professional at all. No one can put that furry blanket on without a sheets underneath, too itchy. And I don’t know when was the last time they washed that blanket. So I had to remove the goose down insert and put the blanket into the bed sheet myself. Feels like I was in Best Western…. :-(

The service level of the staff was good, but not impressive. The staff will respond to whatever you asked, but not much more. You don’t get most of the luxury hotel’s service that staff would bend over backward for you. For example, my wife was looking for a cosmetic store closer to the hotel so I called front desk to ask. The staff quickly answered that department store is our only choice. Not true, because 5 minutes later, another staff called back and apologized that she knows there is a specialty cosmetic store that is just two blocks away (Sasa). So I think they still have a long way to go in staff training before they are truly a “luxury” hotel.

Don’t get me wrong, their staff is professional and smiley. But in most luxury hotels, their staff “anticipate” and not just “reactive”. The staff should have the “going the extra mile” and “jumping thru hoops” attitude.

On the plus side, the location is great. You are in the heart of Taipei. All the major happening are literally 10 minutes away. Walk out of door, and you have a choice of 5 major department stores and 100 restaurants (not kidding). Plus the 101 building, and close to MRT (subway). So if the location is important for you and not as critical on service as me, then you will be plenty happy here! Happy travel….

Room Tip: There are only two rooms on the left of elevator. They are much quieter because less people will wal...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank BogeyMike
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

Located in Xinyi District, Le Meridien Taipei has everything you need for both business and leisure. On a recent business trip, I got to experience this LM property and left knowing that I will definitely return.

Check-in:

Front desk quickly noticed that I'm an SPG Plat member, so she escorted me right up to the Exec Lounge to process the check-in. Didn't really engage in any conversation on the way up, but she was all smiles along the way. It only took a few minutes before she gave me my key cards and I was off to my room.

Rooms:

I stayed in a junior suite. The room was tastefully appointed and had a very warm feel to it. Love that they chose to use Heyland Whittle products. The bathroom was enormous and all the furnishings/outlets/controls were very intuitive. Room was well maintained. There were some Chocoart pineapple cakes left on the coffee table. Much better than what I expected chocolate flavored pineapple cakes would taste like!

F&B:

Breakfast consisted of a wide variety of Asian and Western options. For some reason, a lot of hotels fail to serve fresh and crunchy pastries. It always comes out tasting cold and stale. Not at the LM Taipei. Most of the items were of great quality. Service was nice, but could be more efficient.

Facilities:

The gym, pool and other areas of the hotel are well kept. Nothing more to add, all was great!

Service:

The service is not over the top attentive. They were able to strike the right balance between being attentive and allowing guests some privacy.

Overall:

Would definitely return in the future. You can't beat the location either. It's within minutes from the Taipei City Hall MRT station and also within walking distance to a ton of malls/restaurants/cinema in Xinyi District. This was not the average Le Meridien (of course the rates are also more expensive), but I'm glad that it wasn't!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CPA902
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

Le Meridien is by far the best hotel in Taipei for several reasons:
1. Service
2. Rooms & Amenities
3. Cuisine
The service was all-round excellent- all staff friendly, caring, and follow-up on every detail. This shows they listen and are accountable. I was celebrating a Birthday Surprise and emailed concierge in advance- Nick and Team were so efficient in fulfilling all my needs and requests precisely- Nick even helped me to decorate room with thought and added a gesture for surprise! Alice, my butler was so helpful and even prepared a small cake to my surprise and both had made the efforts for handwritten card. Both very welcoming. The 12 floor reception, checked me smoothly and always followed-up with my requests. The pool/ spa receptionist was so friendly and even greeted me with my own language- so warm.
The room was beautifully appointed and well stocked. Clean and spotless. I loved the high-ceilings and curtains! By far, the best room in Taipei as I've stayed at almost all the luxury hotels in Taipei.
The breakfast buffet staff were very attentive to every thing- cleared plates, got us coffee... just perfect experience. Never felt rushed...the food was fresh and even the watermelon juice- fresh; which is rare at buffet's. Delicious variety! We also had an outdoor table at Qube and the service/ ambiance was very good.
Thank you Meridien to your superb management and team- it really does make a difference and a wonderful impression of the people of Taiwan. It was such a warm, welcoming experience and your professionalism and kindness made my trip so memorable! Especially thanks to the GM for cascading this spirit throughout the hotel! Perfect!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Kinross, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

This is a great business hotel probably one of the best in Taipei. The rooms and service are top drawer - breakfast is a really fantastic buffet and the whole decor is just extremely relaxing. My only complaint was at night the dining arrangements are restrictive there is a good buffet but otherwise the fare is pretty basic. Do not let this put you off, as there are lots of restaurants around

Gym and pool are really good. Staff are a real credit to the hotel. You cannot go wrong with this one.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Graeme B
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

Located at the heart of Taipei, its convenient and only a short walking distance to tourist attractions. Taxis are easy to come by, the concierge will flag one down for you. Hotel staff are friendly reflective of Taiwan's impeccable service-oriented culture and the check-in/check-out was a breeze. The rooms are clean, well designed, spacious with nice touches such as the Nepresso machine, some local treats. The hotel decor is modern and contemporary with the main entrance faced away from the main road making it less busy/noisy. As always, Le Meridien didn't disappoint.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MichelleSueMae
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

The rooms are stunning and very well thought out. Truly smart and great furnishings.
Service impeccable. Location great.
A true breather for someone who travels a lot.
Car service to airport has Wifi, which enables to make good use of the hour drive back and forth.
Highly recommmended