“Modern”

Ranked #63 of 565 Hotels in Taipei
Scotland
“Modern”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2011

This was my second stay here, the first had been the week after they opened last year when I got a good opening deal price. This time it was about 20% more expensive.

I've also stayed at their sister hotel, the Sheraton, and at least 2 other 5 star hotels in Taipei and the Meridien is probably my favourite. They have tried to be very modern, sexy and cool in the lobby and room design and it largely works. There are many buttons to play with from the curtains to the toilet and the room size is big. Internet is free so although more expensive than it's sister hotel, if you take into account the internet then it comes out about the same cost. That said, it is still a bit overpriced, their laundry charges were extortionate and the room service set menu I had, while fine, was not cheap.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2011

Hotel is really well designed, love the rooms and the bar. Great service all around.

Can't wait to return to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2011

I've always preferred the small cute Eclat hotel in Taipei where rooms are small but everything used in room are top notch, also Taipei does not have many nice newer hotels... But the newer Meridien has just been added to our company's list of approved hotels so decided to give it a try.

Location is great as it is HsinYi district, the newer posher side of Taipei.
My room faced the department store with the construction site in between, so for foodies, shoppers and club goers, the hotel is very convenient.
Toto ( a Japanese high tech ) bathroom ensures your bum is never cold on those late night runs, free wifi all over the hotel (no need to deal with passwords etc)
The pros
-we had an client event here (dec 2010) the Western food for a large group in the ballroom was surprisingly decent
-good location in the hip happening part of Taipei but no noise from the nightlife/zoos close by.  My bro and friends love the Hsin yi bar and clubs.   I like the upscale restaurants.
-fast free wifi
-clean minimalist comfy rooms.  Not the best rooms on earth but other than the small Eclat rooms, and the W which I 'll stay at end April, some of the best rooms in Taipei.  (and I come here monthly)
- the other more corp hotels have biz ctr with Bloombergs etc.  This hotel caters for more of a young vs biz crowd, so it's not a necessarily bad thing.

Cons
- as I mentioned, my room faced the construction site,  though as I stayed on the top floor (1208) room it was not too bad.
- my corp room rate did not include breakfast vs Eclat's cheaper corp rate that included a great made as ordered breakfast (that can be delivered)

but.... In sum, nice hotel addition to Taipei's portfolio of hotels that need a bit of updating/upgrading.

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank Anilegna
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2011

Hotel is excellent, it's so near to the department store - Mitsukoshi - and not far from the new transportation terminal (including all the buses running around Taiwan), the new departurement - Hankyu (W Hotel on the top). Hotel room is very spacious, hotel staff are very helpful and knowledgeable. Can access free WiFi during whole stay - inside the guest room or all the places in the hotel. so I can access my Macbook and iphone and my brother can access his Android phone as well... very happy.
The only problem is the construction site nearby, hope that construction job will be finished soon.

Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Aomori
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2011

This is a nice brand new hotel with modern room facilities. It is conventiently located at Xin Yi with major shopping complexes and the MRT/Taipei Bus Station easily accessible - all within 5-10 minutes walk. Was surprised with previous reviews stating that the design of the rooms is impractical which I think otherwise. Loved the in-room nespresso coffee machine providing L'occitane bath amenities is a nice touch. Bed is comfortable but......

The noise due to the construction adjacent to the hotel is terribly annoying. This is especially so on weekends as I was awaken at 8am both days on Saturday and Sunday. The hotel said there will be no construction on weekends, but this doesn't seem to be the case. So, although the bed is comfortable and entice you to sleep longer, the disturbing noise doesn't allow that, unless you are a light sleeper. Probably should consider looking at better sound proof alternatives.

No complaints on the staff's services but would recommend them to be more in touched with guests. They seemed to be slightly on the cold side. Greetings and showing a constant attitude of ever wanting to help would be good. I may be slighlty unfair here, as I check in to this hotel immediately after staying at W Taipei. W Taipei scored top marks in staff's services and attitude. The swimming pool + gym + sauna/steam + jacuzzi facilities are great and regretted not using them more often during my stay.

Would recommend this hotel, but choose a room not facing the construction site!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank GreatGTraveller
ORD/PSP/HKG
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2011

I had a great time staying at this hotel for my 40th b-day with my friends the first weekend of March. My stay was short but the staff surely made a great impression. To be honest, I wasn't expected much when I first saw this hotel building. Like other has already commented, the hotel lobby looks more like a office lobby. But upon arrival at the hotel hobby check-in desk, I was quickly recognized by the staff of my SPG platinum status and we were quickly escorted to the 16th floor executive lounge for check-in. The staff was very professional and friendly. Not only did I get a fantastic junior suite upgrade and my friends were put on the same executive floor, but also I got a tasty b-day cake and the entire concierge staff signed a bday card and sang happy b-day for me (that's a first for me as a SPG customer). I was really touched by the hotel personnel's generosity and exemplary customer service. I really felt like I was being treated as a valued customer at this hotel. The junior suite is spacious and decorated with contemporary wood furniture. The Nespresso machine is great, and the soda and local beer in the minibar is free for platinum guests! Although the selection of food at the executive lounge is limited, the food quality is better than most other lounges I've been at other Asian hotels. I'll definitely stay at this property next time when I visit Taipei on business or leisure.

Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
JAKARTA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2011

The Le Meridien Taipei is a newly opened hotel. It’s positioned as upscale and contemporary luxury with a room rate to match. I decided to try for 2 nights.

Arrival

I arrived by taxi from airport. Upon arrival, I was immediately taken aback. The lobby is very barren, without any decoration, just plain wall and marble. Is this the so called new minimalism? It looks like an office tower lobby. I had to double check the hotel signboard to be sure I have arrived at the right place. The reception desk is simply a few tables and chairs put together and looks really out of place in the empty hall. Again barren and devoid of any decoration of any kind except perhaps a weird looking purple chandelier that looks so out of place. After the check-in formalities, I was given the door key and shown to the lift.

The Room

The room is small. Perhaps not more than 35m2. Typical layout with the King Size bed taking up most of the available space and the by- now common see-thru bathroom. The work desk is long and directly below the TV. No walk-in closet. Bathroom has a advance electronic toilet and a deep soaking tub with LCD TV on the wall, and a single vanity. The surprise is the shower stall, no rainforest shower, and water pressure is poor. Toiletries were L’Occitane but the local version and the bottles were hard to squeeze.

There’s a 42” LCD TV and the work desk have a A/V connection panel and plugs but there is no iPod dock. So I have to use my own but then, the power plugs only have 110V power sockets. The King Bed is comfortable but the pillows are heavy. There is a Nepresso coffee machine but only 2 coffee selections provided. For some strange reason, the aircon is set at 19degC and can’t be adjusted. Materials and furnishing are typical of a nice apartment rather than a high-end luxury hotel. This room doesn’t seems to match up. For example, why have an advance electronic toilet in the bathroom and then no rain-forest shower? Why have a Blu-Ray player in the room and no iPod dock? Is it really too difficult to incorporate another 220V power plug so that I don’t have to put up with a big ugly transformer on the desk that constantly gives out a buzzing sound?

Major issues encounter with services and other issues during my stay and it’s a whole long list. Below is a sample of some of them :

1) First thing first, the most annoying problem is trying to get thru to the hotel staff by phone. My first request was for a transformer. Calls to housekeeping were repeatedly put on hold and voice mail, and so were the calls the Front Desk, Operator and Guest Service Centre. It took me more than 10 mins of waiting and dialing different numbers to get thru! I wonder why the hotel cannot station more staff to answer phones, while they have lots of staff standing around in the lobby, most of the time with nothing much to do.

2) I requested for a wake up call which was forgotten. Fortunately my handphone alarm did work.

3) My laundry was not delivered on time. I have to chase and again go thru (1).

4) The remote control on the TV is very difficult to press and the TV controls not intuitive.

5) The wireless internet in the room does not work. I called for them to send someone to fix it but nobody turned up. As the wired internet did work, I was too lazy to go thru (1) again.

Most of the time, the staff were very polite but when there’s a problem all they can do is apologize in a mechanical fashion. Most of the time, they appear rather clueless and inefficient, something very “un-taiwanese” I should say. This might have something to do with the hotel still being very new and the staff poorly trained.

Common Areas

There are several restaurants in the hotel but I only tried the morning breakfast which has good variety though most items are just ordinary quality.

There’s a nice collection of modern contemporary artwork on display at various place in the hotel and the hotel sort of resembles an art gallery than a hotel. Overall, the style of the hotel is ….. wait, sorry, there’s no style at all. It’s basically an office tower with rooms. Just hanging up a few pictures on the wall does not transform the space into something stylish. I couldn’t find any proper or striking interior design elements in this hotel. This is one of the most lazy interior design I have ever seen in any hotel.

Conclusion

Perhaps the hotel is still working out it’s kinks as it has only recently opened, which explained the poor service. However, it’s clear to me this is no high end hotel. It’s not even strictly speaking a luxury hotel. At the moment, it’s a 4-star hotel with a 5-star room rate and 3-star service. The promotion materials of this hotel and it’s website try to convey the impression that the hotel is very stylish and elegant but it is anything but that. In reality, I find it really boring, unimaginative and cold. The service leaves much to be desired and the constant need to wait and put on hold for the simplest of service request is irritating to me. For the room rate, it’s a poor value. I rate it 3 out of 5 which means just average. It’s a pity because Taipei, as an exciting and cosmopolitan city and deserves a truly first class hotel. Well, there’s still the soon-to-open W Taipei and a future Mandarin Oriental to look forward to.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
17 Thank BENLEE123