“Palais de Chine, a very dark and gloomy hotel in Taipei”

Palais de Chine Hotel
Ranked #37 of 584 Hotels in Taipei
Reviewed August 14, 2012

The staff at reception, concierge, dining room are young but very professional and efficient. I had conversations with the hostesses at the dining room. They were genuinely nice and friendly.

The lobby, elevators,hallways, dining room etc... are all finished in very dark brown, almost black, rough -sawed wood, which make the place look and feel very dark, dirty, gloomy and depressing. It's like going down into a coal mine. I would much prefer lighter and happier shades of wood finish, like light oak or golden ash etc... The management probably tries to use dark colors to hide the dirt. they should fire the interior decorator and hire new ones.

The bar is outdoor on the balcony on 5th floor, which is very hot and humid. Even outdoor, smoking is prohibited by law, WTH? Meanwhile it's OK to light up the traditional Chinese incense inside or out and inhale that putrid smoke. It's just one of many evidences of the heavy-handed ways of government on the island.

The room is nice, clean, comfortable and large enough. There is a balcony, with 2 chairs and an ashtray, that looks across to a few residential high rise buildings.

The room has a remote control box added onto the 40 in LCD TV, that was suppose to control the TV and all lighting in the room. It works intermittently and is very annoying when you cannot turn off the TV or the lights to go to sleep. Wired internet worked OK.

The hotel is conveniently next to the Q shopping center which is connected to the MTR and the train station via air-conditioned malls. It's horrible to walk outside and sweat in the summer's high heat and humidity. Having access to mass transportation by walking in the air-conditioned malls is a big plus.

Breakfast and lunch are above average with typical Western fares and traditional Chinese food. We had buffet lunch with a fairly good mix of seafood, sushi and sashimi. But I had better in other hotels in ShenZhen and HongKong. Large bottles of beer ( about 750 mL) costed about US$12 which drew a lot of complaints from guests. I had a few glasses of wines which costed about $8 each.

The room rate and everything else are pretty high for this hotel. Besides convenient access to the cool air-conditioned malls to get on mass transit, there is not much that attracted me to this dark and gloomy hotel. This hotel just feels unhappy to me. I would much rather stay at hotels that look, feel, smell, sound ... happier.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank PETERPAN1999USA
Write a ReviewReviews (1,755)

Reviewed August 14, 2012

I have stayed here twice and continue to be impressed with the hotel and staff. The breakfast at the hotel is superb. Fresh, expansive, and high quality foods were in abundance each morning. Breakfast was an experience all in itself.
The concierge spoke great English and assisted me on several occasions to locate items that we needed. Moses at the concierge was so helpful, he even called my next hotel to arrange for pick up at the train station.
In addition, the concierge staff helped us carry our bags through the intricate path to the train station. I was so grateful for their guidance and help.
The hotel is beautiful and well maintained. It would be easy to feel pampered here. The gym area is small, but it did have all the essential equipment.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Sadie2240
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I chose this hotel for the location, but found that it is actually a long walk from the Taipei Station with luggage. Apart from this, the hotel is next to a shopping centre, Q square, which is convenient.

The hotel is new but the lifts are not as fast as expected. The room is very clean and comfortable, big by Taipei hotel standards and reasonably priced for the quality. I loved the bathroom, especially the bathtub in the deluxe room with the mood lighting.

However, two major gripes I had were regarding the wifi access and service. The hotel does not provide free wifi access (not even in the hotel lobby) which is quite backward for the modern day travellers. I tried to log on by paying the wifi charge of TWD 50 per hour, but the wifi connection was very erratic, it took some time before I could log on (I called the front desk for help but the staff took a long time to send someone to help) and I couldn't connect again after two minutes of access. It was frustrating and I called the staff to cancel the wifi access. I have come across smaller, cheaper and more remote hotels which provide free or paid and good wifi access.

Another incident about the service was that on the morning of checking out, I asked if it was possible to pay an additional charge for a later check out due to the timing of my flight, but the staff took about twenty to thirty minutes to call me back to inform me that this was not possible as the hotel rooms were fully booked for the day.

The experience would be a lot better if the hotel can improve on its wifi connectivity and staff effectiveness.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank SingaporeSnow
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Great location , next to MRT , shopping mall and restaurant.
Polite staff , Breakfast area is big and beautiful . Food with many choices.
Rooms are big and comfortable. Necessary equipment is provided.
But no swimming pool in the hotel .If swimming , we have to go to another building.

4  Thank cindywlow
Reviewed July 29, 2012

The greatest aspect of this hotel is definitely the location, which is right next to Taipei Train station and is closely connected to the underground shopping areas. My family and I really like the accessibility.
Before I chose this hotel, I have friends who worked for travel agents in Hong Kong and Taiwan respectively who highly recommended this hotel. So I believe this would be a good choice.
Due to some reasons, I booked the hotel through two different channels, via direct booking and travel agent. Special thanks to the reservation team who offered upgrade for my parents who are celebrating special occasion.
It was rainy quite heavily on arrival date when needed to carry the luggage from the flyover while one hand had to hold the umbrella, When seeing me from stepping down the flyover, the staff at the door immediately offered luggage assistance which did impress me for the first place.
Check in was done on 6th floor. The male staff, though being very polite and courteous, was rather slow for the check in process. Since the room booked under travel agent included internet as stated on the hotel voucher, I reconfirmed with him if it was complimentary. To my surprise, he told me it was not, but only at 50% discount. And later he suddenly realised but it was another 15-20 min later.
As requested prior to arrival, both rooms for my parents and myself with my brother was on the same floor. My parents' room was upgraded to deluxe room which was definitely a nice touch. Unfortunately, when I got to my own room, I was disappointed to see that the room had a single bed instead of twin beds which I did request upon reservation online through the travel agent website. I called to Front desk for possible room move. A lady who picked up my call offered me to check the correspondence and call me back. After waiting for a while, I called again but the lady still asked me to wait. Without receiving a return call, I called to look for the male staff who checked me in. Instead of being polite as previous, his tone became rather cold and frustrated. We then exchanged several calls back and forth. The whole process took me more than an hour. Initially, he told me my room category with twin beds was not available due to full booking. And he checked again and again and informed me later that I needed to stay in that room. I then mentioned that I happened to see the room next door was under cleaning and had twin beds. However, he insisted it was not available and offered me to pay TWD1,700 per night (!) extra to upgrade to next category which had twin beds. I refused since I did request in advance. He kept me waited for another 10 min so I called again. Finally a lady (who sounded more senior) offered a room of the same category with twin beds in the evening. The whole thing was sorted 1.5 hours after I first checked in on 6th floor. At the end, I managed to pick up the key in the evening for the room with twin beds which I had seen in the afternoon.
Room design was nice, I didn’t mind the dark ambience. I could see the details in the room from the TV remote which could adjust the light level (the light switches were a bit complicated to control) and in-room directory etc. I particularly like the universal sockets in the room as well as the electronic toilet bowl which was common in Japanese hotels. However, there was a minor issue in the bathroom. There were two sliding glass doors on the bathtub. However, even I pushed the two glass doors to one side, it was quite difficult to get in to the bathtub. The wash basin was rather shallow as well, with water easily splashing out. I also had an enquiry for the curtains as well. I found the curtains did not help much on blocking the lights from outside, even all room lights were off, the room was still quite bright considered I was going to sleep. Luckily, it did not affect me too much.
Breakfast was such a highlight with plenty of options including salad bar, pastry, hot dishes. Every day I did have a big breakfast in the restaurant, though I needed to wait on the last morning (maybe it was because of Sunday).
Generally, the staff greeted at every circumstances which made me feel welcomed. On the second night, my room keys did not work to open my room. I went back down to 6th floor for replacement. However, the new keys did not even activate the guest lift later. After changing three sets of keys, I finally managed to go back to my room. With the trouble caused, I would have been quite annoyed but I was not because the female staff was always smiling and sincere. However, on the third night, I enquired the same lady for check out arrangement. I understood very well the check out time at 12:00pm. However, since our flight departed at 4:15pm, I would like to keep one of the two rooms until 1:00pm or just 12:30pm. Unlike the previous night, the lady told me straight away that the hotel was fully booked and no late check out could be granted. Conservation ended at the point without any alternative offer or a little flexibility. I was quite disappointed to see this inconsistency in service level. I did expect she could recognize that I was the one who was bothered by the key issues previously so she could offer 30min time to stay in the room. Unfortunately, it was just my expectation. I would say I understood the hotel operation quite well, I did not think they had to ask every single guest to leave sharply at 12:00pm even the hotel was 100% fully booked. Did she think all guests would arrive at 2:00pm or Housekeeping could manage to clean up all the rooms together when all guests leave at the same time? And while we were in the room at 12:20pm, we already got a call from Front desk to chase us to leave.
Moreover, while staff on 6th floor was mostly friendly, the Concierge staff hardly smiled when I asked for assistance. I was briefly told verbally how to get to the bus station (for bus to the airport). While I mentioned to the staff that I was quite confused, he insisted it was very easy and he just talked and pointed using his hands. I guess it would be easier if he could show me on map or draw a simple map to walk. I was just a tourist not a local resident.
Being a partnership of Preferred Hotels, I had quite a high expectation on this hotel. Despite the hotel was not perfect in some aspects, I might still choose to return for my next trip, though the only reason would be the location and breakfast.

Room Tip: Deluxe room is recommended if you are willing to pay for a little supplement.
1  Thank dabawing
Reviewed July 26, 2012

What I liked
Great location next to Main Railway station and MRT - linked to good shopping mall
Roof top bar - very nice for quick meal or drink
Good and very clean rooms - design a bit awkward
Good beds
Good quality finishes throughout the hotel
Concierge service

What I did not like
Managing the lights in the room too complicated
Room too dark
Room had a balcony but one can not access it
Bathroom first thing you see when entering the room
Check in staff friendly but not helpful

Take note
The faux Asian / European design is interesting, entertaining and of high quality but modernists and minimalist will find it a unsettling experience
All round very good 4 star

Room Tip: Ask for a room without balcony - bigger rooms and the balcony is not accessible facing the pool i...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank scan100
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We stayed one night in Palais de chine which is located just next to Taipei Station. Location is perfect, easy access to everywhere as there are subway, local buses, long haul buses and high speed rail next to it.

However, to my disappointment the hotel itself was very poor in terms of its interior design, the utilities are not user-friendly as all - the lights in the room are difficult to adjust, you have to press the SAME button to switch on all of the lights or switch on part of the lights or dim the lights, my mom tried several times until she can switch off all the lights!

There is only one curtain to separate the bathroom and the bedroom, the shower noise or the lights from the bathroom is very disturbing to the one in the bedroom. The shower is over a bath tub but there is no handle or pole to grab to enter and exit the tub which i think is very dangerous for elderly as they may easily slip down after shower.

To rise or lower the window curtain in the bedroom we have to climb on the desk to grab that chain, it doesnt make sense at all!

The hotel staffs are friendly but they are not helpful, we arrived at Ground floor and were told the real "lobby" is at 6th floor, the ground floor is just a service desk, but the staffs said we can leave our luggage at ground floor they can help us bring them to our room, but after we spent a long time for check-in and we arrived our rooms for like half and hour, we still cant see our luggage come in, then we decided to go out and when we went pass the Ground floor service desk we saw our luggage still there!!

Also the staffs seems do not know have enough knowledge about the information of the hotel service, we wanted to use the pool which is 2 minutes walk away from the hotel and asked if we need to bring our own towels there, but different staffs gave different answer! Also i asked the staff in the lobby where can i get the taxi, he told me to go quit far away,but the staff at ground floor told me i can easily get a cab at the door front!

At the end me and my family are very disappointed with this hotel and i highly not recommend to very one except business travellers. it was totally a bad experience for me!

For your information, this hotel has free parking but has no free internet/wifi access.

6  Thank pkhappy