“Perfect location for travelling around Taiwan”

Palais de Chine Hotel
Ranked #43 of 574 Hotels in Taipei
Reviewed September 12, 2011

The hotel is besides the Taipei train station, from where we can travel around Taiwan by high speed train or travel around the Taipei city via metro railway. During this trip in August, we only took an hour from Taipei to Taichung, where we could see the natural beauty of the rural area of Taiwan. Apart from the convenience provided by its location, the staff of the hotel were polite and professional. On the other hand, the buffet breakfast offers a wide range of varieties that was better than I expected.

Having said that, for travellers who look for spacious room, fancy bath tub or swimming pool, I am afraid this hotel is not a perfect fit. This is a boutique hotel, not a 5-star hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BeeHongKong
There are newer reviews for Palais de Chine Hotel

Reviewed September 12, 2011

I arrived at the hotel for a conference but there is no driveway! Was dropped off at curbside and had to lug my baggage across wide pavement to ground floor bell counter. Check in counter lobby was located several floors up. Compared to other business business boutique hotels I had stayed in Taipei, this one has limited staff who can speak English.

I was unable to get into the breakfast restaurant at 8am as the place was packed with mainland China groups. I had to wait for 20 mins for a table and it was located outside the air-conditioned dining place in a makeshift tent with no air-conditioning in summer heat! I was wet with sweat even after a short breakfast in order to make it in time for my conference. The breakfast spread was good with even a Japanese section.

This hotel though looking up market & classy in deco, is distinctly lacking in a good standard of service. The biggest pitfall is that it has hordes of mainland Chinese tour group guests which really killed my experience and made my 3 days stay a 2 star experience. The hotel should absolutely not have such a travel group as guests.

I will never stay here again even if given a free stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank divespyder
Reviewed August 31, 2011

I always stay at this hotel when I'm in Taipei. The service is excellent, the people are warm and the quality is simply outstanding.

This hotel is somewhat in a very central location, next to the Taipei Train Station and the Taipei Bus Station (not to mention the subway). In most countries, I'd usually stay away from the main train station as it usually feels unsafe in the evenings. But here, it's certainly the exception!

Shopping and food are bountiful and what's amazing is the amount of tourist around this area too!

Room Tip: Book in advance.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Ahguru
Reviewed August 17, 2011

I think that this, and another hotel named Fluer de chine were the best hotels that I have ever been to.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank angster101
Reviewed August 16, 2011

I’m writing this as I feel compelled to share my experience with this hotel.
Spent 3 nights in the executive deluxe room on the 16th floor and wish I was there for much longer.
The hotel is absolutely beautiful. I love the décor and dark gothic feel that is consistent throughout the hotel. Piano concerto music is piped throughout the public areas giving a classy / relaxing mood. The dining hall is amazingly decorated unlike any other hotel I’ve been to. Staff are extremely friendly and courteous and always smiling. Breakfast was impressive as the variety of food was very extensive.
The VIP lounge is usually deserted. Most of the time I’m the only guest in the lounge so it is really quiet. The best part of the lounge the self-serve free flow alcohol available all day when the lounge is open. JW Black label, Gin, and other types of liquor. From 530pm - 730pm there is a ‘Happy Hour’ that includes snacks and on one of the days I had samples from a cheese platter. Also served during Happy Hour is 5 types of bottled beers. When I found out that the alcohol was available all day and not just during the happy hour, I was overjoyed!

Some issues I faced:
My room was a WiFi dead zone. My phone could only connect when it was placed near to the door, and that was very inconvenient. The front desk provided me with a LAN cable which allowed me to connect to my laptop. So if internet connectivity is important for you, you may want to consider bringing along your laptop.
TV system was difficult to navigate initially. Channels were jumbled all over - different genres were not grouped together. And there was no guide for channels. Hence I had to scroll every channel and then memorize the ones I preferred.
Also when I first entered the hotel there were a number of staff at the concierge / bell hop, but none offered to help me with my luggage which I was slightly struggling with.

Apart from these issues, the hotel is fantastic. The attention to detail makes the experience really special. One of the things that impressed me was that walking from the bed to the toilet (when the lights are switched off) activates a dim light around the toilet area so you can see but not get blinded. The hotel also uses Japanese Toto heated toilet bowls which are my favourite.

I had a chance to visit the W Taipei a few times as my friends were staying there. The rooms at the W are larger and the theme is more trendy / swanky. But I still much prefer Palais De Chine because of the unique theme. Being on the executive floor also made it very quiet and peaceful.

The location of PDC is just next to the High Speed Train Station and also above the Taipei Main MRT station. Hence the location is very central. There is also a shopping mall under the hotel that offers a large variety of food.

If I return to Taipei, this hotel will definitely be my No.1 choice!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank lsed
Reviewed August 16, 2011

I had read reviews about the decoration, but I really found it fantastic. Even the standard rooms are excellent, large round bathtubs that you can fill and relax into, separate shower and WC, nice beds (although the "twins" are really small, Queen-size would be better). You have a nice cupboard with stuff to boil water, a minibar, bathroabs and slippers at your disposal. The rooms are quiet, I had no problem with noise, just a small problem with the TV, though they sent someone to fix it immedaitely.
Very helpful staff at the reception, they made apointments for me and helped with directions and transportation.
Only small drawback is that they don't have a lot of common sitting room. But the "La Rotisserie" restaurant was excellent with classic music and wonderful breakfast buffet. I had a wonderful meal there several times, in nice surroundings and with attentive service. On my last day, after check out I spent some time waiting for my taxi to the airport (a bit too expensive in my opinion, at 4 times the usual price, so get a local taxi to the airport and back which will only cost you about 600 TWD) and the hotel staff came and brought me water and a table to be able to work on.
There is an adjacent mall where you can buy lots of fashion things and also eat, but I found also interesting the underground "City Mall" which is kilometers of local little cheap shops, so you may want to check that out.
Only other drawback for me was the lack of a swimming pool and a spa. For teh spa, they booked me at the Villa.like and it was quite nice for a massage. But for the swimming pool, you had to go to a building next door, going outside from the hotel and wearing a cap, otherwise you weren't allowed to swim.
All in all, I like this hotel and its location and would recommend it and go back.

Room Tip: If you're an IPrefer member you can get an upgrade and extras
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank PallasParis
Reviewed August 12, 2011

This place focuses overwhelmingly on their public image by hosting social events, yet the public relation with the customers is weak.

Prior to my stay at this hotel, I was told that special rate was only offered for duration of two weeks or more. After a week of stay, I told the PR manager that my stay is likely to be extended to a month, but the manager was not only reluctant of offering a discount, but he only offered NT$50 off per night for a room that cost nearly NT$6,000.

Despite the fact that the discount didn't get reflected retrospectively, the PR deliberately removed my breakfast which came with the package. The receptionist at the breakfast said the PR manager had removed my breakfast due to the special offer. I soon realized the discount offer wasn't really about the extended stay, it was the payoff of my NT$300 breakfast!!

I was quite disappointed by the little conniving tricks played by the PR manager. Anyhow, for all you corporate patrons, keep you eyes open when you deal with Orson Chen.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business