“Feels like home”

Ranked #57 of 240 Specialty Lodging in Taipei
Toronto, Canada
“Feels like home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

It was my first trip to Taipei and I stayed in the guesthouse for 5 nights. Location wise, it is extremely convenient,as it only takes a couple minutes walking to the subway station, and it is located in a very lively, somewhat historic neighborhood. The room is also very nice. It's clean, spacious. The bed is big enough and comfortable. I believe every room is different from each other. The staff are extremely friendly. Everyday before I head out or when I get back to the house I always have some chit chat with J. She is so lovely! Oh, not to mention the breakfast, it is exceptional, and aunty makes different breakfast everyday. Really miss it a lot. I will stay in this guesthouse for sure when I go to Taipei next time!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Maggie L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014

It's my 3rd trip to Taipei and my 3rd stay there in Mudan House as well.

The reasons why i would recommend Mudan House are as follows:

Location: It is very near to Da Qiao Tou (大桥头) subway station. And this station is only one stop away from Ming Quan West (民权西)subway station. Once you are on this station, you can basically access any main tourist locations like Dan Shui(淡水), Taipei 101, Elephant Hill and Taipei Main Station (台北车站) which links to City Hall, Ximending, LongShan temple, CKS Memorial Hall etc.

Another plus point is there is a 1841/1842 coach bus near the guesthouse that send you directly to the airport for departure (which is a plus point for me as i do not want to miss my flight home and pay a premium for transport).

And the most important point for me is the authentic nightmarket food around the guest house. I personally find these food much better than those touristy night market.

Lastly, i also prefer to stay away from the touristy places like Taipei Main Station and Ximending where touting is common and the safety around Mudan House is definitely better for a foreigner.

Room Condition: Love the comfortable and spacious room. If TV is a must for you, you can view English Channels like HBO, Star movie etc.

There is also laundry washing machine, towels for changing up at level 3.

Service: It's tip top!!! Doris, her aunt and her new staff, Jieun are very helpful in assisting your needs.

Not to mentioned, the nice home made breakfast by 姑姑 and the nice chit chat session over breakfast with them and the rest of the guest house travellers.

No problem if you prefer to have a quiet breakfast as well as there is a lot of space in the dining area to chill.

Conclusion: I personally feel when we travel, a personal and homely touch is important and Mudan House is definitely the place to stay.

I will definitely go back again!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank M_Y_W_L
Fuzhou
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

I stayed at Mudan House for two nights in July. While I initially had a bit of trouble with the booking (the website was under construction so I booked via Hostel Bookers, which only allowed me to book for two even though I was traveling alone), but a quick e-mail to Doris got it sorted. Then, on my way to Taipei, I got stuck on Mazu Island for a night and had to get the 10-hour ferry the next day, arriving at Mudan House a day late. Again, a simple e-mail to Doris and all was well.

The House is in a delightful little normal Taipei neighborhood, and so you immediately feel immersed in true Taipei. Just a short walk from the House is a road with a good number of food vendors selling all sorts of lovely snacks. There is a larger, livelier food scene further to the south (road names escape me; wandering led me there). It's a little difficult to eat there if you speak no Chinese, but give it a try anyway! More wandering will lead you past lots of really interesting older buildings, all being used as shops or restaurants or offices in a wonderful display of simple repurposing. Also, about a 1-minute walk to a bunch of buses (including the bus to Taoyuan - 83 dollars): ask Doris and family for help if you don't know how to go, or just use Google Maps. About a 4-minute walk to the metro station. Really convenient.

The downstairs of Mudan House is beautiful. The tables are seemingly made of tree trunks. The breakfast is fantastic, also! Doris' mother (I think) whips it up as you come down the stairs, passes over a cup of coffee or tea, and then offers you another breakfast if you're still hungry. The first day was a kind of chicken burger sandwich - delicious. I forgot the second day's breakfast, but I'm sure it was great. 谢谢妈妈。Doris' father was also great with helping me get on a new flight after mine was cancelled due to a typhoon. 谢谢爸爸。The Doris Family is a treat! Thank you all!

My room was immaculate and comfortable. The bed was on some sort of platform that extended beyond the bed to the wall, which was strange but enjoyable, and was very soft! Great nights' sleeps.

One gripe: my room had no window! There was a small window in the (very nice) bathroom, but none in the bedroom. I didn't know this beforehand and then didn't want to cause any trouble, but next time I will certainly ask for a room with a window. (For reference, my room was the first one right up the stairs on the first floor - I can't remember the number.) It didn't matter too much because I was out and about most of the time.

Thanks, Doris and company! Loved Mudan House and will return!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Jack D
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

At the suggestion of a friend who's stayed at Mudan House for a vacation prior, we booked a room for 3 girls who were keen on counting down for the New Year (also known as 跨年 or kua nian) in Taipei - it was the first trip to Taiwan for 2 of us and also our first B&B experience.

LOCATION/TRANSPORTATION:
The MTR (Da Qiao Tou 大橋頭) and a bus stop with several buses to major landmarks/locations are a few minutes away on foot.

Otherwise, cabs can be easily hailed and very affordable.

ROOM AMENITIES:
The team's very particular when it comes to hygiene and ensured we had clean beds and bathrooms which made the stay very comfortable.

SERVICE
The main points of contact (Doris / J) were on hand whenever we had any questions, and a friendly 姑姑 (Gu gu) was there every morning, between 8am and 9.30am (sometimes even later!) with a homemade breakfast which could be a sandwich of varying assortments daily and cut fruit to make sure we had a good start to the day.

Overall, a great place to be at when you're travelling within the Taipei area.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

I stayed at Mudan House for 3 nights, the place is great. It is within walking distance of several tourist spots, such as Yansan Night Market (2 mins walk) and Ningxia Night Market (10 mins walk) so no problem looking for great food, for the sight seeing part, Dihua Street is also only 12-13 mins walk away. Also their breakfast are delicious, I would love to stay there again just for the breakfast.

Room Tip: Wifi only available to G/F
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

I stayed 2 nights at the mudan house. The room was just nice for the 2 ladies with luggages all over the place. There was a mini bar fridge, television and a desk.

The owners were really friendly and chatty. We had a good time chatting during breakfast on both days. The porridge aunty makes was the best comfort food I had. She was also very nice. She helped us get our carton tied up when she saw us struggling to carry such a big box to the bus stop. She also recommend us single ladies to visit a temple which is meant for good marriages.

The vicinity was good. There's a bus which takes about an hour to the airport.. Plenty of food around.. Walking distance to supermarkets and wet markets..

Overall a nice place to stay

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Hueygoose
shanghai
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

Honestly, this is the worst accommodation experience I've never had!
We stayed there in Sept.2013 for three nights but were really shocked to find they never clearned up the rooms and even transh cans during our whole stay! After we talked them about this, they said this should be the usual practice to clean up the rooms after guests leave their house.
My friend has being a hotelier for more than 20 years and I used to be for nearly 5 years. We never heard about this before and the facilities in the rooms look average. How can they treat their guests like this? We really don't understand and we'll neither stay at there again nor recommend it to any of our friends who will travel in Taipei!

Room Tip: Strongly recommend you not choose it as your travel accomodation place!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends