“Loved it!”

MudanHouse
Ranked #64 of 240 Specialty Lodging in Taipei
“Loved it!”
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here in Feb this year, our second lodging in Taipei for the week after we came back from nantou (previously stayed at a backpackers hostel!). Doris was very welcoming and gave us an orientation around the house and map for Taipei. Rooms were very very clean.

Mudan House is located in a relatively quieter street, away from the touristy areas but yet with good food around! We absolutely loved the 紅燒鰻 (eel) just down the street and apparently it is very popular! Besides that, auntie prepares at sumptuous spread for breakfast every morning, very simple and good and what I loved about Mudanhouse is the communal dining concept. Every guest will come down for breakfast and we will all sit together. Very good way of getting to know people and to exchange travel tips! Auntie would also join in to chat with us and provide us with useful tips! would love to be back again one day!

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Magdaleneg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Daegu, South Korea
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Mudan Guesthouse was highly recommended by some friends who visited Taipei earlier this year. All correspondence and reservations were done via email which was always responded to within 24 hours or less. 3 of us girls booked a double room plus a single room and had plenty of space for all of our things. For a late night arrival, we reserved a private car through Doris via email which cost NT$1000. Breakfast with Auntie was delicious every morning which always included either coffee or tea, fresh fruit, a delicious entree and some kind of fresh fruit juice. The front and side doors are left locked when no one is in the lobby and late at night so it is very safe. About a 10 min walk from the subway station and post office and a few other sights in the neighborhood. Mudan Guesthouse is very clean and Doris is very friendly and can help with anything you ask. She gives her honest opnion on local sights which are worth (or not worth) seeing. Catching a cab back to the airport is flat rate NT$900 which Doris can call for when you are ready to leave. Wifi is really fast in the lobby but, as we were forewarned by Doris, a bit slow or spotty in the rooms (but still accessible). Shampoo and body wash are available but no conditioner. Air conditioner was nice and cold and small refrigerator available in each room if needed. On the 3rd floor there is access to a washer, dryer and drinking water (which tasted horrible---my only complaint of the whole place!)
After 5 days in Taiwan, I'd love to visit again and would hope to stay at the Mudan house.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank ladylene
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We have just returned from a 5 day stay at Mudan House and we would not hesitate to stay there again if we return to Taipei. It is a lovely oasis of calm in a busy city and it truly was like staying with friends.

On arrival we were greeted by Doris who gave us a brief orientation to the house and the area then discussed our plans with us, offering lots of advice and suggestions on where to go, what to do and how to get there.

Our room was spacious and beautifully appointed with everything we needed (as was the rest of the guesthouse which has had a recent and very tasteful renovation). The only detraction for us was the size of the bed. They are only doubles so a bit cozy if you like your personal space. The room was lovely and quiet, and the air con was silent and efficient - a relief since it was 38 degrees outside!

Breakfast was a great time of day as it gave us a chance to meet up with the other guests and discuss what everyone had been doing and planned to do, and swap tips. Doris and her father Steven (who is a tourism lecturer) were usually on hand with suggestions as well. Auntie makes a substantial breakfast which will keep you going for much of the day. We had fun trying to guess which fruit she used each day to make the juice.

The highlight of our trip was a day trip to Taroko gorge, which we had originally decided not to do after reading reviews of the popular commercially available tours which implied that actual time in the gorge was limited, and an inordinate amount of time was spent being shuffled through marble and jade shops. When we told Doris of our concern she offered to organize a customized trip for us through a friend of hers which would spend time doing all the things we wanted to do and none of the "tourist trap" stuff. This turned out to be the best day of our trip, we had so much fun with our wonderful guide Daniel. He grew up in Hualien and took us to lots of his favourite childhood places. If only we had found his company (Topology) earlier, we would have arranged other trips through them as well.

As other reviewers have said, Mudan House is not located in the main tourist areas but we did not find that a problem at all. The main attractions in Taipei are not concentrated in one area so you end up traveling around a bit and changing trains frequently every day no matter where you stay. This is not a drama since the trains are very frequent (often only 1-2 minutes apart) and the system is very cheap and easy to use. We enjoyed coming home to our little neighborhood every day and after only a few days people came to recognize us and would wave and say hello as we walked home from the train station.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Riggergirl
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I found Mudan House through a Taiwanese friend, she told me the breakfast was GOOD. Indeed, it was good. EVERYTHING is good, not just the breakfast !!
I actually hesitated about writing this review, because there are only six rooms in Mudan House, and I want it to be my BEST KEPT SECRET !
If you want to stay in Mudan House, you can email Doris. ( 196mudanhouse@gmail.com ) Room booking deposit is 10%, Doris will send you an Invoice email, payment can be done using any credit card.
From airport to Mudan House, I suggest hiring a Taxi. However, it is possible to take public transport. There is a Guo Kuang Bus from the airport that will stop nearby, you can ask Doris for direction. The nearest Metro station is Da Qiao Tou, about a mere 8 minutes walk to Mudan House.
Surrounded by 7/11 and many small eatery and mobile food stall. Once you checked in, you will be given a map that tells you where to find great local food nearby.
There is no daily room service. However, at level 3, there is a common room where you can get new towel, do laundry and hot / cold water.
Level 1 is the " lobby " and dining area. WIFI is speedy, there are 2 laptop provided. Once you stepped into the house, leave your shoes on the floormat and change into the house slippers.
The warm and friendly family who runs the hostel has touched my heart. I stayed there for nine days, and on the day I checked out, I was really really sad to leave.
I am planning for another trip to Taipei end of the year, needless to say, I will stay in Mudan House again.
Mudan House ------ My HOME in Taipei !!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
8 Thank Guava99
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Searched over the internet for a decent hostel or bed & breakfast and stumbled onto Mudan House. It has fairly large good reviews from all over the different websites. After communicating with some fellow travellers through their blog, I decided to place all my chips in Mudan House for this maiden trip to Taipei, Taiwan trip (5D4N) and simply have no regrets.

The warm and friendly family owns & stays in the house & their services are just great, especially Doris who is always so cheery and cute with a smile. Her father is a tourism lecturer and will give us some tips on where to go and what to explore. The 5 storey house was nicely decorated and named after Doris's grandmother, Mudan. Although only 2nd & 3rd storey are opened for accommodation with 6 rooms in total, they are planning to extend it to 4th & 5th storey in the future.

Some active travellers may think this place is unsuitable for all the happening actions, however for me it's just right. I chose this place bcoz one of the travellers told me it's quiet and near residential areas and somehow able to experience the true local taiwanese living. I can't agree more. For we're away from the noisy Ximending (where most tourists will choose to stay) and of coz convenient Taipei Main Station, but hey...with the ease of Taipei MRT system, everywhere is so within reach!

To me, everything is good except the small bed (not king enough for two person), thus not much space for tossing. Other than that, all is great.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floor with well lit room
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank rhunt1
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I am quite amazed by Mudan House interior design, particularly the downstairs bathroom door disguised as a part of the wooden wall, the one piece giant wooden dining table, the Mudan House logo as well as lots of lovely touches. They really put their heart into buiding this place for guests' comfortable stay.

Our room was clean, but I personally didn't like the fact that the floor didn't seem to be that clean. A Mudan House's nice young lady suggested us to wear slippers she prepared for guests in the house. However, I get used to walking barefoot indoor instead so I just had to clean my feet more often.

Design in the room is as nice as the rest of the place and the room is spacious, however, we think the wardrobe is way too big for travellers. Instead of the no-use big wardrobe I would like to have a small floormat and hair dryer instead but I couldn't find any (though I was quite sure I could easily get them if I asked one of the ladies downstairs as they are so nice but I didn't bother)

Located in the old area, and Mudan House is just a walking distance away from old market/china town. We walked to Yongle Fabric Market, YongChang St. And I think we could walk to famous Confucious temple & Bao'an temple but we didn't. So in our point of view, great location!.

Homemade breakfast seems to be simple but amazingly tasty everyday. Had breakfast here and we were really so full we could skip our lunch.

Excellent quality of service and hospitality is a must to mention from all the ladies of Mudan house, especially on the last day when a young lady even walked with an umbrella with us when it was raining quite heavily to the nearest airport bus stop and waited until she made sure we got on the airport bus!

The wifi worked well, internet access with DSL cable in room was very fast and reliable. I could do urgent work continuously for more than 8 hours without being disconnected.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LoveCip
Reviewed April 24, 2012

The room is spacious, clean and cosy. All room come with full facilities that you need. The house lady, Dorris, is friendly and always with a smilling face. Auntie who prepare breakfast for us will always seek for our opinion on which breakfast we would prefer and her cooking is just too homely, simply delicious!

Just a walking distance away from subway station, the house will provide you with a comprehensive map with attractions and good food reconmended. Wifi is free at the dining area and they also provide a few laptops for free net surfing.

Overall, it's a good place and I will definitely go back should I visit taipei once again in future !

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple