“Second stay but not so wonderful...”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Qstay

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Taipei
Qstay
Ranked #75 of 246 Taipei B&B and Inns
Caloocan
“Second stay but not so wonderful...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

This is our second stay at Qstay. Just like the first time, booking was done through email. Since they have promotions on their FB account, I availed on this promo which is 20 % discount. However, the inclusive date only was on our first day, the last 2 days we were charged the regular rate minus 5% discount if paid in cash.

Originally, I booked only for 2 pax since I got our tickets using my airline mileage. However, my daughter on the last minute decided to join us. I did not amened my booking with the hotel. We arrived in the morning flight, so we took the Freego bus at NT140 each and drop us directly near the hotel, TS hotel bus stop which is just across the street. Along the way, you need to transfer to a smaller bus since the Freego bus is going to the Songshan airport.

We checked in at the hotel before noon and Benson when seeing that we are three, asked me if I am Ok with sharing bed with our daughter and they would occassionally charge extra for the third person.

I said that is Ok and I am willing to pay the extra charge but Benson said he will just waive the extra charge and booked us in. I paid in Cash so I can avail of the 5% discount. I also requested extra towel. After resting for half an hour, we decided to go to Din Tai Fung ( XinYi Branch) for our lunch. Qstay is less than 5 minutes walk to the Ximen subway station. We bought the YOYO subway card for NT200, which is NT100 deposit and NT100 to be consumed.

It was raining the whole day and the weather was very cold, so we decided to quit the day early and got back at the hotel by 6 PM. That night, our first problem happened, the toilet bowl was clogged and will drain very slow. This get worse in the middle of the night when the toilet bowl get totally clogged.

Since there is no reception in the night, I need to wait until morning to report the problem. I send them SMS instead and by 8 AM in the morning someone came and help us remove the clogging.

I should also mention that the hotel shower heater is not ideal for winter season. These are the typical in-pipe water heater/burner which is difficult to control.

The pantry has some snack foods that is open for hotel guests 24 x 7..

On our last night, I asked Benson if he can print my boarding pass since I did web checkin. I send him the boarding passes through email and he printed them for me for FREE,

However, the next morning when we checked out, Benson is not the one manning the reception area, and the second guy asked me how many are we. So I explained to him we were three and I have talked with Benson and everything is OK. But he still keeps telling me that I should have booked 3 pax. etc. But eventually he said it is Ok, but next time, that should not be the case.

We took the taxi from the hotel to the Kuo Kuang bus terminal at train station East B terminal. This is actually located on the left side of the main train station when facing the station.

Next time, I may try the other hotels nearby, like the TS hotel, Rainbow hotel in the middle of XMD.

Overall, I will think twice in staying at the hotel again if not for the reasonable rate.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank virstud

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

Excellent location, walking distance to Ximen MRT station, friendly staff (spoke English & Mandarin), privacy ensured, leisurely simple breakfast spread at the lounge area, with newspapers in English & Mandarin. My room had no TV but with desktop PC which was perfect for me. Ideal for gay singles or couples.

(single gay male in 30s travelled alone in October 2012).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

I was in Taipei for the weekend, and I noticed that almost everything was unavailable that I was looking for, or it was just madly overpriced. Qstay had positive reviews, so I emailed them and asked about their availability, which they confirmed was fine.

This is not a typical hotel, so it's best if you scale back your expectations quite a bit.

The good:

- Location is right in the Ximen area.
- Staffs are really friendly and generally just great people.
- rooms are nice and include everything.
- Bed was fairly comfortable, but not the kind of bed you would get from a 4-5* hotel.
- Free coffee and snacks whenever you like.

Cons:

- This is not exactly a hotel, so the front desk staff is not available 24 hours. I arrived pretty early and just wanted to put my luggage in the lobby, but they keep 0900-2000 for desk hours, which is slightly annoying.
- Room cleanliness is fine, but the bathrooms could use some help. The shower in particular needs a heavy cleaning, which is unfortunate.
- Bathrooms benefit from a giant window that lets in lots of light, but makes everything visible to the outside. A little strange, but there are curtains.
- Noise from the street is considerable, so light sleepers might have some issues.

Room Tip: They have an A and B room available. B is larger, for +200 NTD
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

I recently spent a weekend at Qstay. I was impressed with the place and location for the price. The staffs were very helpful and I was quite comfortable throughout my stay. I found the room to be a good size and I actually liked the shower and area which I found to be a good size and I had consistent water temperature. As others have mentioned there was free wifi which is a must for me in 2013. In the mornings I made myself multiple cups of nice coffee in their small kitchen and always enjoyed the breakfast sandwich. I felt safe throughout my stay and enjoyed walking around the Ximen area both day and night. On my arrival at the Taipei airport I was met by a pre-arranged driver who took me directly to the hotel. If returning to Taipei I would definitely stay at Qstay again. The MRT system in Taipei provides adequate service in English and serves the city and area well.

Room Tip: I was on the 5th floor facing the street. I enjoyed the view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

Very near to Ximen area. Walk around 100 meters only. Hotel rooms looks good, cleanliness is ok. However, the shower area needs to be improved as there were molds on the wall. The shower was bad as we could not get a regular water temperature. We could not get a proper shower as the water can be suddenly ice cold and super hot. Though the bed was made daily, the bedsheets were not changed daily, which makes it feels kind of icky if you are in for a long stay like us. Food was not replenished very often, though when we enquired, they promptly refilled the pantry, which was nice and kind of the staff. Email replies were quick and responsive.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights last week, perfect location (only 3 minutes by walking to Ximen MRT Station), clean room, resonable price, free wifi internet inside whole building, friendly and helpful staff(It was my first time to Taipei and the staff help me so much on tourist information.^^), they provide 24 hours self-service FREE snack bar contains biscuits, instant noodles, coffee, juicy all the time.

Ximen area is great for shopping and very easy to find lots of food in different restaurants and style, also excellent transportation (Just one stop to Taipei Main Station) connect HSR to South Taiwan(I went to Taichung and Kaohsiung afterward.)

I am sure that I will come to Taiwan and stay this hotel again soon.

Room Tip: You can choose the pick-up service (from airport) by them, the price is cheaper than you take a taxi...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

The scores so far:

54 Excellent
27 Very Good
1 Terrible

I dont get it! I am with the minority........ this place is dreadful. I normally find that if you read, say, half a dozen reviews on trip advisor then you have a good flavour about a place. I just dont get why people enthuse about this place!

Lets start on the positive:

- Friendly staff. I phoned ahead to say I would be arriving late. That wasn't a problem and a friendly face greeted me on arrival
- The location is excellent.

The not so positive:

- I have stayed at a couple of other places in Taipei. In terms of value for money this place doesn't stack up at all.
- the rooms are small (very small)
- one of my biggest gripes was the bed. A hard mattress with a soft "topper" placed over it. The pillows were foam placed inside a horrid plastic cover and then the pillow case on top. The bedding was poor quality and I didn't feel happy sleeping in it.
- the towels were thin and, again, poor quality.
- the room has a worn decaying feel to it.

My earnest advice is to stay clear of this place. If you want a gay friendly hotel they abound in Taipei (its no big deal where you stay) so dont believe you have to stay somewhere which markets itself as gay. If you fall into this trap you literally pay the price.

I am usually better able to pick hotels but this one came in under my radar. Don't let it come in under yours!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo