“Good Location, But Not Perfect.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Qstay

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Taipei
Qstay
Ranked #75 of 246 Taipei B&B and Inns
Hong Kong, China
“Good Location, But Not Perfect.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

I was in Taipei for the weekend, and I noticed that almost everything was unavailable that I was looking for, or it was just madly overpriced. Qstay had positive reviews, so I emailed them and asked about their availability, which they confirmed was fine.

This is not a typical hotel, so it's best if you scale back your expectations quite a bit.

The good:

- Location is right in the Ximen area.
- Staffs are really friendly and generally just great people.
- rooms are nice and include everything.
- Bed was fairly comfortable, but not the kind of bed you would get from a 4-5* hotel.
- Free coffee and snacks whenever you like.

Cons:

- This is not exactly a hotel, so the front desk staff is not available 24 hours. I arrived pretty early and just wanted to put my luggage in the lobby, but they keep 0900-2000 for desk hours, which is slightly annoying.
- Room cleanliness is fine, but the bathrooms could use some help. The shower in particular needs a heavy cleaning, which is unfortunate.
- Bathrooms benefit from a giant window that lets in lots of light, but makes everything visible to the outside. A little strange, but there are curtains.
- Noise from the street is considerable, so light sleepers might have some issues.

Room Tip: They have an A and B room available. B is larger, for +200 NTD
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

I recently spent a weekend at Qstay. I was impressed with the place and location for the price. The staffs were very helpful and I was quite comfortable throughout my stay. I found the room to be a good size and I actually liked the shower and area which I found to be a good size and I had consistent water temperature. As others have mentioned there was free wifi which is a must for me in 2013. In the mornings I made myself multiple cups of nice coffee in their small kitchen and always enjoyed the breakfast sandwich. I felt safe throughout my stay and enjoyed walking around the Ximen area both day and night. On my arrival at the Taipei airport I was met by a pre-arranged driver who took me directly to the hotel. If returning to Taipei I would definitely stay at Qstay again. The MRT system in Taipei provides adequate service in English and serves the city and area well.

Room Tip: I was on the 5th floor facing the street. I enjoyed the view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

Very near to Ximen area. Walk around 100 meters only. Hotel rooms looks good, cleanliness is ok. However, the shower area needs to be improved as there were molds on the wall. The shower was bad as we could not get a regular water temperature. We could not get a proper shower as the water can be suddenly ice cold and super hot. Though the bed was made daily, the bedsheets were not changed daily, which makes it feels kind of icky if you are in for a long stay like us. Food was not replenished very often, though when we enquired, they promptly refilled the pantry, which was nice and kind of the staff. Email replies were quick and responsive.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights last week, perfect location (only 3 minutes by walking to Ximen MRT Station), clean room, resonable price, free wifi internet inside whole building, friendly and helpful staff(It was my first time to Taipei and the staff help me so much on tourist information.^^), they provide 24 hours self-service FREE snack bar contains biscuits, instant noodles, coffee, juicy all the time.

Ximen area is great for shopping and very easy to find lots of food in different restaurants and style, also excellent transportation (Just one stop to Taipei Main Station) connect HSR to South Taiwan(I went to Taichung and Kaohsiung afterward.)

I am sure that I will come to Taiwan and stay this hotel again soon.

Room Tip: You can choose the pick-up service (from airport) by them, the price is cheaper than you take a taxi...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

The scores so far:

54 Excellent
27 Very Good
1 Terrible

I dont get it! I am with the minority........ this place is dreadful. I normally find that if you read, say, half a dozen reviews on trip advisor then you have a good flavour about a place. I just dont get why people enthuse about this place!

Lets start on the positive:

- Friendly staff. I phoned ahead to say I would be arriving late. That wasn't a problem and a friendly face greeted me on arrival
- The location is excellent.

The not so positive:

- I have stayed at a couple of other places in Taipei. In terms of value for money this place doesn't stack up at all.
- the rooms are small (very small)
- one of my biggest gripes was the bed. A hard mattress with a soft "topper" placed over it. The pillows were foam placed inside a horrid plastic cover and then the pillow case on top. The bedding was poor quality and I didn't feel happy sleeping in it.
- the towels were thin and, again, poor quality.
- the room has a worn decaying feel to it.

My earnest advice is to stay clear of this place. If you want a gay friendly hotel they abound in Taipei (its no big deal where you stay) so dont believe you have to stay somewhere which markets itself as gay. If you fall into this trap you literally pay the price.

I am usually better able to pick hotels but this one came in under my radar. Don't let it come in under yours!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
9 Thank stirl0
Caloocan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed on this hotel for 3 nights last week. I booked the Type A room since it costs NT$200 lesser than Type B. I added extra NT$200 though for my daughter sharing bed with my wife and I. The Double bed is quite small for the three of us so we have to sleep perpendicular to the bed. The bed mattress is quite soft and comfortable. Make sure to ask for spare bath towels if you need one as they provided two sets of towels only.

From the hotel, you can take the Kuo Kuang airport bus to take you to the Taipei Train station which is roughly 1 hour or more drive. From their, you can take the taxi to the hotel for NT$100 plus night charges of NT$20. The bus counter is closed when we arrived but passengers are lined up waiting. At past 1:45 AM the bus driver arrived and signalled us to follow him to the bus. We have to pay our bus fare to the driver and there was a lot of commotion since the bus driver does not have change for large bills. The 7-11 store will also not change your money without buying an item. Unfortunately, the cashier also ran out fo small bills. Luckily, some passengers managed to pay in small bills and eventually all pasengers were accommodated.

We arrived around 3 AM in the morning and the hotel staff waited for us and actually called me on my mobile to check on us.

The hotel hot shower is typical of portable shower water heater, thus, the heated water when fully consumed and needs extra minutes to get warm again. The tip is always close the shower when not in use to save on hot water.

There is snack room in the ground floor right beside the elevator. You can have your packed noodles and sandwiches for breakfast and snacks anytime of the day.

Ximending is just right across the street less than 5 minutes walk. This will bring you right at the Exit 1 of the ximending station of the subway. Be sure to buy the Easy card worth NT$500 (NT$100 deposit included).

If you pay in cash with the hotel, you will get 5% discount. I saved around NT$500. Beware of mosquitoes in Taipei, My wife saw some mosquitoes flying around the room so we used the mosquito repellant provided inside the room. Mosquitoes are also all over the airport.

Computer is provided in the room with wired and wireless internet. The computer monitor serve as the cable TV also. Split type airconditioning in each room so you can control the room temperature individually.

On our first day, we were disappointed when we returned to our room and found that the room was not cleaned. So the next days everytime we go out, I always asked the hotel staff at the counter to clean our rooms.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

This hotel is for a good place for you to stay if you are gay and traveling with your partners. Not a very good place if you are traveling with a group of friends. The setting of the rooms are more for romance and may appear abit sleazy with transparent bathroom. Location is decent but then lack of food options compared to long shang temple station. I think its kinda expensive and not value for money, and you can find better options elsewhere. unless u are gay.

Room Tip: avoid second floor since the toilet wall is transparent and even with curtain, may not feel comforta...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends