“Lin Yi Hui - nicest person ever”
Review of HOLO Family house

HOLO Family house
Ranked #104 of 241 Specialty Lodging in Taipei
Reviewed September 15, 2013

i stayed here, I'm staying here, right now, as i write this. the dorm rooms are pretty big and the beds are wood and yadayada it's everything that every other basic accommodation hostel is. no they don't arrange trips or pub crawls, but that's not their fault, it just so happens that their is nothing to do in tai pei. unless you love sidewalks. but the front desk people at this place, it's what they say about Taiwan, the people are so NICE. there's one girl here, Lin Yi Hui, who honestly might be the nicest person outside of new zealand. she got me cake, and stinky tofu, and everyone falls in love with her. but everyone that works here is like that. they're all awesome. thats why you came to taiwan, for the people, and that's why this is a good place to stay. this is my first and only review on trip advisor. SO MUCH POWER!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for HOLO Family house

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Hostel is clean, efficient and comfortable. Location is about as good as you could get. Rooms are mostly internal (i.e. no windows - other than the panoramic tatami room for 3). The walls are very thin so make sure you bring ear plugs.

To find it find south gate 3 exit from the Taipei Main Station, cross the intersection and the building is Asian Square (not labelled in English) which is to the left of the Mitsukoshi Department store (when facing from station). Hostel is on 22nd Floor.

Room Tip: There is a tatami room for 3 people with panoramic views over Taipei
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Roger W
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Most convenient to Taipei station (also close to the bus terminal).
Dorm and individual type are available.
Self-catering is required.
Hospitality as family-Like.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We had an amazing time there. There was free breakfast in the morning. It was right on the rail line. The staff was helpful. The room was clean.

We arrived at 2am (we told them we were arriving around this time). Rocky (the owner?) came to the front desk in his pajamas after we rang the doorbell. We didn't then realized we didn't have enough money for a nights stay... Rocky did not seem to mind and said we could pay the next day once we had money. He wouldn't take all of the money we did have, but gave some back so he knew we would have food to eat the next day. Rocky was a genuinely nice guy. Each night when we arrived back, Rocky offered us free drinks. It was a fun atmosphere hanging out with other guests there.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank JonathanB538
Reviewed December 16, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for four nights and the most impressive aspect was the view of Taipei from the 22nd floor. I would not say that is a place for romance, but it is incredibly convenient. We literally walked across the road from the Main train station and a great range of local food and entertainment surrounds this place.

It is a quirky space with lots of handmade touches and soft toy decorations, our room was very good value for its size. Sounds can carry from room to room but we had very respectful neighbours.

The central area is a little cramped for the free self serve breakfast, which consisted of a traditional savoury rice porridge and white toast with a good selection of condiments, I recommend the coconut paste butter on toast.

The bathrooms and bedrooms are cleaned everyday (It is mainly a bin change for the bedroom) and the place is overall kept very clean.

My only superficial criticism is the broken appliances that took up valuable seating space for the common area during breakfast.

There are a few mosquitoes surprisingly at this height, but apparently if you kill 100, you get a 100% discount off. At the time of writing this review, I was up to 10 kills in 4 days.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank metazorion
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I read all the reviews here before I decided to stay there. I was fully prepared and it was definitely not as bad as what they said. I talked to the owner holo and he was really humorous.

The room has four beds and the restroom is clean. The breakfast is basic and I was too full to have any more. I got to talk with people from other places and was really glad to have those conversations during my solo trip.

Free wifi, free water here which are charged when I stayed at some hotel in London which costed me 150 pounds one night.

The only complain is that the hostel people will often knock and come in my room to get food from the fridge. and the mattress is really hard which I don't really care but someone with a bad back might have to take into consideration.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 5, 2012

After initial difficulties checking in (when the guy turned up (which involved skyping the hostel and being reconnected) he was either drunk/stoned or extremely sleep deprived), I had a great time. The rooms are clean and basic. Annoyingly there is an aircon in the room, but the staff turn it on for you as there is only 1 remote – you have to find someone if you want to turn it off or change temperature. The common bathrooms are fine, although as they are wet rooms, and there are no separate toilets, it can be annoying if someone has just had a shower. The views from the common view are amazing. Breakfast was toast, tea and fruit. The lady running the place was terribly friendly. I came back for a second stay a few days after my first.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo