“As usual, my stay at Dandy Hotel (Tianjin) has been pleasant.”

Dandy Hotel - Tianjin Branch
Ranked #12 of 587 Hotels in Taipei
Reviewed October 24, 2012

The title of this review pretty much sums up everything. This is my third stay at this branch over three years. I tried a smaller room this time round, can't recall the type of room, and it still met my expectations.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank lyrabrown
DandyhotelTJ, 主任 at Dandy Hotel - Tianjin Branch, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
We would like to thank you for your valuable comments as well as your patronage of Dandy Hotel-Tianjin Branch Taipei.
I am pleased you enjoyed your time and our offerings.
Your review will speak to many future guests, and we truly need supporters like yourself to spread the word. You have done that and more and we can't thank you enough!

Reviewed September 15, 2012

Me and a friend stayed at dandy hotel tianjin branch. The hotel was very lovely and clean. We stayed in their forest theme room. It was the best decorated hotel room that i have ever stayed at! We were really impress with their decoration. And the hotel has a laundry room which were handy for us as we brought limited clothings. Location wise, it is very near to zhongshan MRT station. Just a 5minutes walk away, and there are lots of convenience stores and cosmetic stores like Watson and even a shopping mall nearby.

On top of that, The staff was really courteous, friendly and helpful. They even went above and beyond to assist us. My friend were craving and interested to try McDonald's late at night, the staff assisted us with the phone order and even topping up the order to save us the delivery fees! They even gave us good tips & advise on how to travel around and good restaurant to try.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Sherlyn L
DandyhotelTJ, 業者 at Dandy Hotel - Tianjin Branch, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2012

Dear Sherlyn,

Good day. Thank you for taking the time to contribute your review and we are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Thanks to you for liking our services and the room.
It's certainly our pleasure to accommodate you and we look forward to welcoming you soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed September 8, 2012

We stayed in Elite Room from 31/8 to 7/9 in room 310. WIth window but no view at all but we have nothing to complain because we are out of the room most of the time. Spacious enough for 2 of us plus our luggages on the floor. We find that our stay is very comfortable and pleasant. We had a bathtub and the self service laudry is much appreciated. The room has the sleeping light which is not too bright and we do not have to switch on the bathroom light if we get up in the middle of the nite to use the bathroom. Air con power is good and we still find it cold when we set it to 27 degree celsius. This hotel is not big but really comfortable, pleasant, cosy and clean.

Although we need to leave our keycard everytime we leave the hotel, when we return, the staff all knew which room we stay and they do recognise us. Thanks to Sarah, Iris and some of the guys (sorry cannot remember their names) and the supervisor, Isolde for recommending the pineapple tarts and helping me to order.

Breakfast is adequate and nicely presented. Not much variety but enough for us and there are other breakfast options along the streets.

Round the corner there is 肥前屋 that serves yummylicious eel bento and KaoChi (equivalent to Din Tai Fung, i tink i love this better and value for money). Both places we went twice for our meals. MRT is about 5 mins walk to exit 3 of ZhongShan MRT and is easily accessible to other places by MRT. Ning Xia nite market is about 500m away which is walkable! 新光三月 is just at the ZhongShan MRT station. Try the Melange Cafe, worth the queue!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mich80Singapore
beautylinlin, 經理 at Dandy Hotel - Tianjin Branch, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
Thanks so much! We are so happy to be interacting and communicating with our guests.
We are so delighted to know that you liked the hotel and enjoyed our services while you were here.
Especially, you remembered our staff's name. We appreciate your kindly and very happy !!!
We do hope that you will recommend us to your friends and family, and look forward to welcoming you back at Dandy Tianjin Hotel again in the near future!

Reviewed September 6, 2012

Me and my wife love this hotel. It is modern and clean. The location is also very good, not far away from a metro station.
The rooms are not very big, but have a plasma tv, refrigrator and safe.
The breakfast was delicious and the service was good.
We will come again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Zetti23

Dear Valued Guest,
I am pleased you enjoyed your time and our offerings.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. Initially, finding the hotel was a challenge despite having looked up its address on Google Maps, since the hotel is located on a back street away from the trunk roads. This, however, turned out to be a blessing as that also meant the location is quieter. At approximately 5 minutes walk from an underground station access was easy.

The front desk staff were friendly, courteous and efficient. Whilst we had to leave the keys at the desk they soon recognized us and had no problem remembering my name (I was the one who booked the hotel).

Having booked the pricier deluxe room, we were allocated a "designer" room with a green theme. The table was lined with grass (imitation grass, of course) as was the little mechanical organ in the room. There was also a white tree-like coat-hanging contraption which added to the ambience of the room, giving a grassland-like feel. There was a door leading to a tiny balcony but as the hotel was located on this back street there really wasn't much view to see out there.

The public areas of the hotel was also nicely designed. The small but sufficiently sized lobby and front desk was bright and comfortable and the lobbies on each floor were artsy, elegant and warm with features echoing the designs of some of the designer rooms. Pleasant surprises abound!

Breakfast was included but as we wanted to sample the food in the nearby area we skipped every breakfast. The nearby area has a great variety of cuisine ranging from beef noodles to Japanese eel rice. The lack of a proper restaurant on premise was therefore not a problem.

I would definitely return in the future when I need to stay in this part of Taipei!

Thanks everyone at Dandy Tianjin!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Deinococc

Dear Valued Guest,
Cheers and good day, and thanks to you -not only for taking the time to write a review, but for your enthusiasm about our hotel.
We are really proud to receive your high marks.
We always strive to make sure that every person has a wonderful stay each time they visit Dandy Hotel-Tianjin Branch Taipei.
We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you back!
Thank you again. It means a lot to be able to interact with our guests this way.

Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

I enjoyed staying here, it is very clean and cute. The staff is very nice, the breakfast is free and not bad (cereal, eggs, toast, coffee and milk/juice etc.), a nice Mac available to use and printer. Newer decoration.

The room is small but has a nice bed, plasma tv, new decoration, clean, table, fridge and safe. The toilet is clean, small shower without tub.

My room had a leaking toilet and when the staff came, they said they were fully booked and to take a quick shower and he put many towels on the floor. So I really couldn't use the toilet, I don't think this is good service. They really offered nothing to make up for it.

Also, they are in the travel book for 2080ntd per night yet the postcard says 3980ntd per night and we paid 2470ntd. It is ok but not fair to publish in a book at a 50 percent discount so beware.

I will try another hotel but you can not go wrong here if you choose to stay here.

3  Thank boothindc2010
DandyhotelTJ, 業者 at Dandy Hotel - Tianjin Branch, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Dear Mr. Booth

Thank you for taking the time to contribute your review and point out our some disadvantage to improve it.

We are so sorry that we failed you in some areas particularly the restroom.
I already take actions to ensure the toilet quality, and will make every effort to avoid similar mistake in the future.
For our room rate which will be flexible amended since the high or low seasons of the tourism.

Truly thank you again for your comment as it will assist us in becoming better at what we do.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us anytime and we hope to accommodate you again soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed August 16, 2012

I stayed at the Dandy Tianjin in early August, partly attracted by the positive reviews on TripAdvisor as well as a decent rate I found on Agoda of about US$106 for their Elite Double. Detailed comments below:

Booking: First, I would recommend that potential travelers book directly from the hotel's website (http://www.dandyhotel.com.tw/EN/DandyT/index.aspx). Or at least check it for comparison's sake. I found out very shortly after making my booking that the rate on the hotel's reservation site was only US$88! Well, no point crying over spilt milk...

Location: The location of this place is excellent. It's within a 3-5 minute walk of the Zhongshan metro station. I prefer this area to Ximending, which can be very noisy at night. Zhongshan is one stop from the Taipei Main Station, where all the airport buses drop you in the city. I will suggest travelers taking the airport bus take a taxi from Taipei Main Station to the hotel (only around NT$20 or US$0.70), which saves from having to drag your baggage over flights of stairs. In terms of surrounding dining and shopping options, they are plentiful and cheap, and I strongly recommend shopping around the Zhongshan North Road Section 2 little alleys, where there are many gems of local designer / artsy stores which are great for relaxing shopping! There is a 7-Eleven convenience store right across the hotel, though I can't fathom why you would need it given it's Taipei and there is free breakfast provided. The area was definitely safe. No problems / concerns walking around at night.

Service: Service at this place is not great. It's almost clinical in its approach. When I asked for nearby dining options, the front desk wasn't able to recommend any. Even more surprisingly, they weren't able to direct me to Zhongshan metro station (and I spoke Chinese, mind you). Not to worry cos the metro station is super easy to find by yourself. But I felt there could definitely be improvement. When I missed my check-out time by 15 minutes (I did call the hotel to let them know I would be running slightly late because I took the wrong bus) they even reminded me they had "kindly" let me off without a late check-out penalty / fine. Seriously!

Room: The room is small but decently clean. There are only a few floors (I think the highest is 8?) thankfully served by an elevator. There was no view to speak of at mine (looking into a dingy back alley with housewives airing their laundry) so I kept the curtains drawn. There is a small long study table, LCD TV, a few free snacks and bottled water (a nice touch!), a queen sized bed (I felt the quilt was not very clean and had a pale yellow stain but overlooked it), an open-style concept closet (basically a short rod with four or five hangers) and no sofas / coffee table. Basically, the kind of set-up that's only good for sleeping. Bathroom was small and the shower area looked kind of old. The shower liquids / shampoos are out of a wall dispenser and smelled a bit like hand soap so I ended up using my own.

Breakfast: All stays, I understand, come with free breakfast, which is buffet style on the ground floor. This was simple and good - scrambled eggs, sausage links, toast, juices / milk, coffee, tea, and some small dishes of Taiwanese style cold dish (some type of seaweed or konbu salad and a German potato salad) which were tasty and good. I always appreciate free hot breakfast!

Amenities: Sadly, mine was a one night stay so I didn't get to check out the laundry room (which there is one). There are also free reading materials (newspapers etc.) in the breakfast area. However this is Taipei so you should not be hanging around the hotel!! Wi-fi is free and I had no issues immediately getting plugged in on my laptop and iPhone.

Other comments: I frankly felt this place was decent, but the price is a bit steep. Taipei is a very competitive hotel / B&B market and I have stayed before at cheaper but much newer, nicer places, with better service to boot. Advice to definitely shop around.

Room recommendations: None in particular, except to suggest that couples with kids / families NOT opt for the Elite Double option (6 sq m), which is going to be too small and doesn't even have a sofa for the kids . I understand there are a few rooms in this property that are "design themed" available at a higher price but didn't go for those so will leave it to other travelers to comment. This street is OK quiet so if you wind up on a low floor, it's not the end of the world.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Globetrotting_HKer
DandyhotelTJ, 業者 at Dandy Hotel - Tianjin Branch, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks to you pointing out the our service did not meet your expectations and I am disappointed to hear that you had an unpleasant experience during your stay with us.

We are deeply sorry that we failed you in some areas particularly the cleanliness.
I will certainly take actions to ensure the housekeeping quality,
Please accept our sincerest apology for any trouble or inconvenience caused.

We provide 4 different kinds of rooms and you would see clear descriptions on our website, hope it could help you to choose the room you are satisfied with next time.

Again, we highly appreciate your feedback as it will assist us in becoming better at what we do.
It’s our goal to retain you as a satisfied customer and we will hope to accommodate you again.

Yours faithfully,