“good and relaxing hotel”

Grand Victoria Hotel
Ranked #156 of 585 Hotels in Taipei
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I have been staying at this hotel a few times already, and I always found it to be extremely good.
The rooms are clean, comfortable, and modern: you can be assured a comfortable sleeping.
This is something mandatory for a business trip, together with a good breakfast which is not missing at this hotel (even if doesn't change too much).

The staff if competent, fast, and extremely helpful: every request is executed quickly and with a smile.
I have to agree with another reviewer that the staff is one of the greatest assets of this hotel.

The location is good too, there are a lot of restaurants and amenities at walk distance.
You can find from expensive restaurants down to very simple local food.

The only problem is that the walls of the rooms are quite thin: you can hear the neighbour's alarm in the morning (at least I did because I wake up quite early).

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank wolfigor

Reviewed November 30, 2013

After traveling to Taiwan many times over the last 20+ years this is the first time I stayed at the Grand Victoria.
Excellent hotel, great service and they have a fabulous breakfast, choices range from western fare to Asian dishes in the buffet.
The service was very good, the rooms are clean and convenient. Excellent WiFi in the room and nice bathroom.
The bar is very good and they have a great selection of wines by the glass as well as by the bottle. They have a sommelier and he is very knowledgeable and helpful.
Because its location it is easy to get out of the city to travel to other parts or go to Hsinchu.
Most definitely will stay here next time, better value than the grand Hyatt in downtown Taipei and more of a boutique hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DiverDan88
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I recently stayed for 3 nights at the Grand Victoria on a business trip.
The room was large and extremely comfortable. Excellent facilities, and I was especially pleased with the L'Occitaine toiletries. Very friendly and helpful staff. Good breakfast buffet.
The location was very good for me (I could walk to the office) but may not be convenient for everyone.

A few downsides:
As mentioned by others there was very little room service choice (and the club sandwich I ordered wasn't very nice at all). This was disappointing for me, as I often travel alone on business and therefore prefer to eat in my room. However the hotel has good restaurants, and is close to other eateries so if you don't mind eating alone this shouldn't be a problem.
The Wi-Fi service was not very reliable. It often took 15 minutes for my ipad to find the Wi-Fi signal, and it cut out quite frequently. This wasn't a problem for me, but might be for others if you needed to work in the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jo R
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I was on a business trip and my office book me in this hotel. Its close to my office and away from the city centre. This is a nice hotel for relaxing and for business as well as it is quite and many shops nearby. The room is comfortable and clean. The staffs are courteous and friendly. Nice hotel to relax in and away from the hustle and bustle of city life.

Room Tip: Ask for the room overlooking the ferri wheel. Its a nice sight especially at night
Reviewed November 8, 2013

The staff very excellent, despite rooms not being ready when we arrived for an early checkin (having previously asked). Rooms very impeccable high tech affairs. Room service staff faultless, and an excellent breakfast in the morning.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 31, 2013

The hotel room is very comfortable and the staff are very courteous to attend to any requests and make sure that it is quickly attended to.

There are couple of issues that I would like to point out from my perspective.

1. The wifi speed is not good and sometimes can be very spotty.
2. I am a vegetarian and the morning buffet has almost nothing to choose (excepting boiled vegetables/mushrooms). While there are many many choices for non-vegetarians, adding at least one more cooked item on the veggie side would be a welcome addition. During all the days of my stay, even both the soup choices contained meat and therefore I was not able to have anything hot during my breakfast.

I would definitely recommend this place for its service and comforts and the fact that it is super close to my office and the train connection.

1  Thank Vijay M
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is my second review of this hotel, having stayed here from Sundays to Thursday/Friday every week for nearly two months now (with an additional 8 stays at the hotel before that). In my initial review I gave the hotel a 4-rating on the basis of excellent service from the staff and the very clean and comfortable rooms. I am happy to conclude that these aspects of the hotel have definitely survived the test of time and I have enjoyed consistency at a very high level on both these aspects! The front desk staff, bellboys, concierge and restaurant staff all go out of their way to make the stay pleasant. Any request is quickly handled (asking for iron/ironing board, asking for taxi, asking them to keep some luggage whilst I leave for the weekend, etc.) and with enthusiasm. In fact, the staff are clearly this hotel's greatest asset and keep me coming back despite the flaws described below.

The reason for the 3-star rating I gave this time is viewed from the perspective of a long stay guest for which this hotel is not ideally suited. First of all, for a 5-star hotel, the room service menu is ridiculously limited without any real main courses (just a soup, a pasta, some fried rice and some unimaginative sandwiches). For the avoidance of doubt, this hotel has two good restaurants (the steakhouse is really great and has delivered consistent excellence on the 15+ times I have eaten there. The Italian restaurant is not outstanding but has some nice dishes on the menu). As a frequent traveller however I do not want to spend two hours on dinner every day and therefore would like to be able to fall back on a sufficiently varied room service menu which the hotel lacks. On occasion, I am able to order menu items from the Italian restaurant but these arrive lukewarm at best so this should also be looked at. A room service menu should have some items that, whilst not necessarily being comfort food, should be homely as frequent travellers are too jaded to want a 5-course meal with wine pairing extravagganza every day.
Second of all (I have been staying here with a number of colleagues), the hotel does not really appear to reward the continued loyalty we have been showing, often trying to impose different rates on us seemingly at random. Whilst I can appreciate that the hotel may be busier on some days than others, given the business we generate at the hotel (rooms and restaurants), I would have expected them to adhere to the agreed corporate rate as a matter of continuity.

In summary, the hotel is a superb choice for travellers on short stays in Taipei but for longer term guests the hotel should improve the room service offering and address the reservation issues that we have encountered.

Room Tip: I have stayed in about 15 different rooms in the hotel and all were good and clean with a similar la...
3  Thank Starfield11