“Cool little cultural spot”

Ximen Red House - Ximending
$21.00*
Private 4-hour Morning Walking Tour of the West District of Taipei
Ranked #10 of 321 Shopping in Taipei
More attraction details
Owner description: Full of tourists, but with street performances and shows to entertain kids and adults alike. A fun and affordable place to shop for souvenirs and eat street food.
Reviewed December 24, 2013

Ximending is a a lovely building that houses lots of funky little boutiques. There are all sorts of great gifts to buy and you can relax and have a drink there. Sapon Club, the soap shop is particularly great and their all natural products are excellent. Definitely should be part of your Taipei itinerary.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,524)

Reviewed December 18, 2013

Never miss this area as part of your trip to Taiwan!!

I took 2 nights to walk and still not complete the area.
Bought most of my things there!!

Can't wait to go back in Summer time to a shopping spree!!

Reviewed December 16, 2013

We came here 3 hours after we landed in Taiwan, as we were tired, we did not stay long enough to explore the whole place, but from what we've seen ( and eaten ), this seems like a great place to check out.

1) We came on a Monday. The Red House was closed

2) We tried the famous Ah Zong Mian Xian and San Dai Mu Friend Chicken. Perhaps we got to Ximending around 6pm, so it wasn't so crowded yet. There was only 1 person in front of me at the queue. I bought a large bowl at NT60 just so we could sample the dish. The 3 of us stood in a corner, slurping the piping hot vermicelli and enjoying the juicy oysters. This simple looking dish is high on taste! Next up, we saw a queue at this Japanese (?) stall, hence I paid NT 100 for large portion of fried chicken pieces. Waited 10 mins for our order. My Gosh, that tasted better than what I've tried so far!! Superbly tender!! ( I have attached pictures ).

3) There is an old Ma Zu temple smacked in the middle of a row of shops. From the entrance, it looks like a small temple. Step inside and you will be transported to another tranquil world. What a stark contrast to the bustling actitivies outside!

4) A few shops away from the temple is a tradional pastries shop called TAI HE. The Feng Li Su (Pineapple Tarts) are so delish!! I bought a few boxes, but after sampling the pure pineapple flavour and the assorted fruit versions, I still prefer the pure pineapple version (The ones that are shaped like the country). There are other famous shops selling Feng Li Su, but this happened to be at Ximending, so I decided to get a few boxes lest I can't find any more traditional bakeries the next few days.

Ximending is popular with youngsters, hence there were lots of shops selling clothing. I spotted some Korean skincare/makeup brands there too.

1  Thank Francesca T
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Compared to Myeongdong at Seoul, this is a lane. However, I would like to highlight that there are a few very popular food shops. One of them is the oyster mee sua shop. The Q seems to be very long and all customers eat standing...mostly Chinese and Jap tourists....nobody seemed to complain. Then further up the main street, there are a few food shops side by side. Again, the Q indicates that it is popular, among the locals. There was a stench in the air, when we were there. We concluded that the stench must have either come from the bamboo shoot or the pig intestine, which they use as an ingredient. Some people may like it....

Reviewed December 11, 2013

We had a lot of fun during our type a trip in this district visiting many of the restaurants and bars at night. A lot of options and decent crowds that were just looking to have a great time.

Most of the businesses have outdoor tables which are great to sit and people watch as you drink the night away. Some of the places had dance floors where you can sweat some of the alcohol off.

The crowds were pretty good diverse but typically college aged kids. Everyone was very chatty and it was easy to talk to your neighbor and make a new friend.

1  Thank eblis3