“In URGENT need of renovations and refreshing”
Review of Hotel Tainan

Hotel Tainan
Ranked #17 of 243 Hotels in Tainan
Reviewed August 9, 2010

I had to reserve one night at this hotel for Chinese New Year's. The check in was smooth and quick, the staff seemed very nice and welcoming, willing to answer any questions. Going down the hall to my room was my first sign. The design reminds of 1970s, very outdated. The room appears clean at first. There is a couch and an old TV. The bathroom is really small. Upon walking around in the hotel, I noticed that my socks got pretty dark. The bed was stiff, tough to sleep on. The positives are that the A/C worked and was not noisy.

The breakfast buffet is a complete joke for a hotel of this level. Imagine breakfast meats soaking in oily water and stale pastries.

The location is a positive though, as it is right next to the (not High speed) Rail Station.

Old, tired, and a bit dirty. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
8  Thank cilneri
There are newer reviews for Hotel Tainan

Reviewed November 21, 2009

The hotel is about 5 mins walk from the station (and also where the bus from the high speed train from Taipei drops you off), making it an easy option if you're carrying luggage and need to find a bed for the night.

The hotel looks and feels large. Staff are polite, and the rooms are functional, but once inside the hotel, there's a feeling that you could be anywhere in the world - it just seems like it's a copy of a standard business hotel - albeit one that needs a little touch up on the furnsihings here and there.

The hotel has 2 restaurants - one does Cantones / dim sum, while the other serves a part Chinese, part international buffet. The Cantonese place has a menu with photos of a lot of dim sum, but the staff's interpretation of 'english menu' is a few lines in English explaining how much it costs ! In any case, neither restaurant looked enticing or particularly busy. Breakfast however is excellent.

Overall, I was left with the impression of soewhere aiming to process lots of people in an efficient manner - personality isn't really the aim of the game here. If you want somewhere in Tainan where everything works and staff to do your bidding, then this place should suit. If you fancy somewhere with style or personality, look elsewhere

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank pmbma
Reviewed July 19, 2008

My greatest impression is the politeness and the friendliness of the staff.

The location is very central, right next to the train station and close to the National Cheng Kung University.

The furnishing is quite old and tired.

Part of the public area can use a new paint.

The complimentary breakfast is OK and basic.

Overall, I feel the hardware is disappointing, but the staff performed above my expectation.

Stayed: December 2007
1  Thank TBBvvv
Reviewed May 28, 2008

Make a last min booking with the travel agent over at Tainan. Paid 4200NT for their deluxe twins room with 4 breakfast.
We have 3 adult and 2kids, age 6 and 2. The bed is just nice for us. But they only give 2 towel so you have to call them to give you extra towel. They can only give you up to 4 towel/room.

The hotel looks not nice from the website but actually they are not bad. The room is clean and he staffs are helpful too.

The hotel is right across the street from the Tainan railway station. Walking distance to the shopping mall like Shing-Kuang Mitsukoshi , Focus Department Stores and Min-Zu Shopping Center.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Pen002
Reviewed November 24, 2007

This hotel was booked for me by my hosts at the university. I had just stayed at the Landis Taipei Hotel, and I liked the Landis much better.

I don't have any major complaint about the room - it was perfectly clean and well furnished. The bed was quite hard however. Be warned that there are absolutely no three prong electrical outlets available - the staff will loan you an adaptor which eliminates the grounding - not sure how safe this is.

The staff was very kind and helpful on all occasions.

I did not enjoy the restaurant. They play continuous tinkling music (like a mechanical child's music box) which becomes very annoying after some time. I also found the food less than appealing. Maybe it is just my North American reservations, but I don't really like being faced with a large hot dish of steaming fish stew, including heads, early in the morning. At dinner I ordered the steamed clams. They were perfectly plain, but so salty I could hardly eat them - I think they must have been boiled in very salty water.

Based on my experience of the Landis hotel (in Taipei, not in Tainan), I'd stay in the Landis next time.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank JenAnnB
Reviewed June 6, 2007

I stayed at the Tainan Hotel in May 2007. Overall, I found the staff to be extremely friendly and professional. The buffet was OK, but not great.

My biggest complaint is that I asked for a very quiet room, and I was given a room that is just 2 floors above their open area karaoke center. For 2 nights, I had to listen to yelling, shouting, and off-key singing at loud volume. I made a complaint and the staff was more than willing to find me another room. However, I was really disappointed that they would put me in this room to begin with.

Also, my hotel room was disappointing: small, with a small TV and not very new furniture.

I have stayed in hotels in Tainan several times before, and there are other hotels with newer, larger rooms that are available at cheaper prices. Tainan Hotel is not the worst, but there are better values in Tainan.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
5  Thank vacationAsia
Reviewed August 3, 2006

I was looking for a homely hotel for my stay in Tainan and i find it in the shape of Hotel Tainan. Check in was quick and the girls on reception used there english pretty well and were friendly. The room was what you expect from a good hotel in the USA and was spacious with a desk for doing any work if it was a business trip which mine was'nt. Had my laptop and was able to get online free of charge with High Speed ADSL connection. The location is very central with the railway station only across the street and lots of shops only a block away. Also a free Breakfast Buffet was available with i wide variety of foods for the Westerner as well as the locals.Overall i loved staying in this Hotel and will stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2006