“By Belsing Thapa Magar”

Butwal, Nepal
“By Belsing Thapa Magar”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

By Belsing Thapa Magar
Happiness depends upon ourselves. Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. So, the future belongs to us because we believe in the beauty of our dreams, that can make a better world for good people like us.
Most of us have grown up with parents who taught us to be grateful. They told us to be thankful for the food on the table, the roof over our head and for our good health to work for the needy society. We have all been given a wonderful gift in life. Our free will. I see that gift as being synonymous to a steering wheel to take an active role on our journey. One day, I met to a young man who is Mr. Gopal Prasad Bhusal with whom I had been working in an NGO. He was born in a different place, from a different community, at a different time from me. Whatsoever, differences there might be between us but our thoughts for the needy society is almost all the same, so we have strengthened our friendship. Due to my good friendship with Mr. Gopal Prasad Bhusal, I had a good opportunity to write and deliver my long speech in English which was not less than 23 pages, on the auspicious occasion of the inauguration of Golden Gate Hotel on the 13th April, 2012. By the time the Hotel was not yet fully functioning which has been established in an ideal place very near from Phewa Lake in Pokhara. Once you meet Mr. Gopal Prasad Bhusal you never forget him because he is very kind who loves the needy society more than his own body.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men and women to do nothing. Whatever there will be, we all want knowledge to know tomorrow’s weather for planning things to be a success. Mr. Gopal Prasad Bhusal and I sat together with a long discussion how to establish West Nepal Development Trust under his chairmanship in the heart of Butwal to work together as a family with good people from around the world. Butwal has its own identity which is one of the oldest towns known as a historical place, situated in the western part of Nepal, lies at the foothills and the international highway is passing through it. It is a transit point. From here we can go to the east, west, south and north as we like. Once upon a time, Butwal was a seasonal trading centre for both Nepal and India, but now it has also been developed as a wholesale market which could be due to a transportation facility up in the hilly regions. In my salad days, people even from faraway had to come to Butwal twice in a year carrying their domestic products like ghee, ginger, etc on the back in a large bamboo basket to sell them with which they used to buy their essential goods like salt, clothing, etc for their families for the whole year.
In Butwal we enjoy with mixed cultures from the cosmopolitian people because people we can find here from all 75 districts of Nepal. After passing School Leaving Certificate of Examination, students from hilly regions come to Butwal for their further studies. They participate in social activities, organise a picnic in a group and visit the historical places in or near to Butwal. It is because the students want to know the real world and they also want to know what is going on around them.
The historical places and local amenities:
1) The winter palace of Manimukunda Sen, the king of Palpa. It is located
within the same premises of Butwal Phulbari where we can enjoy seeing a small part of zoo and also a picnic spot.
2) The temple of Siddha Baba. People visit it and they worship him like a god.
3) The Jeetgadi Fort. It was a place of defensive position of Nepalese troops during the Anglo- Nepal war from 1814 to 1816 AD.
4) The Butwal Powerhouse. It is near from Butwal Municipality.
5) The Hillpark. It is a place for seeing the views of Butwal, a picnic spot and so on.
6) Devdaha. It is the Birthplace of Mayadevi, the mother of the Lord Gautam
Buddha.
7) The Swimming Pool. The beautiful swimming pool has been constructed in
Manigram on the way from Butwal to Bhairahawa. During the Summer Season, people with their family or friends go there because it is the favourite form of relaxation of people after their hard work. There is also one another swimming pool in Butwal-13, Devinagar.
8) Football stadium in Butwal-13, Devinagar
9) Party Places for entertainments and celebration of wedding ceremony.
10) Facilities: Indian Soldier Board for Ex-Indian Gurkha Soldiers and Welfare
Centre Butwal for Ex-British Gurkha Soldiers which are located next to Butwal Phulbari and Butwal-12, Kalikanagar respectively.
11) Ex-Servicemen’s Welfare Club, Butwal is an ideal place for Basketball, Volleyball, Badminton, a Meeting Hall, Picnic Spot and a place for wedding ceremony.
12) Tilaurakot. It is the patrilineal home of the Lord Gautam Buddha.
13) Lumbini. The Lord Gautam Buddha was born there when his mother, Mayadevi was on the way to her parental home, Devdaha.
14) The national airport in Bhairahawa.
15) The international border without walls between Nepal and India which is 26
Km away from Butwal.
16) Triveni. It is the Holy Place.
17) Sattewati. The Holy Place.
18) The historical place of Tansen.
19) It is to be said, a Jaw of Ramapithecus was found in Butwal.
On your arrival, Butwal serves you as a transit camp with both access and ingress facilities for all directions with both national and international highways. With time Butwal has made a rapid progress in the education field, both in technical and health sectors as well. There is no doubt at all that Butwal captures the imagination of the nation because from time to time it becomes the topper, the second topper, the third topper and so on of Nepal in the School Leaving Board Examination Results.
We celebrated the opening ceremony of West Nepal Development Trust on the 27th March, 2013 under the chairmanship of Mr. Gopal Prasad Bhusal, with Chief Guest- Dr. Ram Shankar Thakur, Superintendent of Lumbini Zonal Hospital, Butwal, Special Guests- DSP Raj Kumar Baidawar, Mr. Bryan Connelly, Ms. Anne Connelly, Ms. Christine Russel, Ms. Shirley Westwood, Ms. Vicki Mckendrik, Media Staff- Mr. Mahendra Thapa, Mr. Bishnu Ghimire, Mr. Milan Gaha and many other guests.
On the 28th March, 2013 West Nepal Development Trust organised one day health camp programme in coordination of Siddharthanagar City Hospital, Bhairahawa. At the end of the programme, the Trust donated some hospital bedding goods and so on.
In the age of five months, West Nepal Development Trust has made a good progress. It has donated to:
a) Shree Saraswoti Higher Secondary School, Hanspur-6, Pyuthan with a set of Laptop, Computer set and Books.
b) Lumbini Zonal Hospital with a set of patient bed, a wheelchair and medical equipment.
c) Mahendra Higher Secondsry School, Kaski with NC 9,000/- for its library.
Alone we do so little and together we do a lot. A drop of water can make a pot of water. For them, we need a team from good people from around the world, so we can reduce the poverty from the face of the earth by serving the needy society through West Nepal Development Trust. The distance does not matter…, we can work together from any part of the globe because in 21st century the media has made the world smaller. You may join in our good team because great opportunities to help others seldom come but small ones surround us daily. If you want to know more about West Nepal Development Trust, please contact to Mr. Gopal Prasad Bhusal at mobile number 9856024077 who is Sales and Marketing Director of Golden Gate Hotel, Pokhara, Nepal. Aha! You can’t judge a book by its cover!! If many people are good to ‘Gopal’ of course, he must be a good person!!!
The taste of 5 of 5 is the worth of Golden Gate Hotel which gives you the touch of pleasure. When you will be in Pokhara, please stay in Golden Gate Hotel and enjoy with its five pillars of management skills because genuine confidence comes from within, and so does genuine power.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Belsing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Kathmandu
Reviewed August 4, 2013

we come to places to find the treasures of a country....... geography....... history in different form and shape.........usually we look for places that will give us a tranquil start and welcome us usually we surprise ourselves.......and yes a few weeks ago i find myself in Golden Gate that merit its name........
The nature and pleasure are there in Pokara......no doubt about it ................Golden Gate was a place that feel familiar, same how a distant taste of home.......staff from top to bottom ready to give the time to get you star the day or the security to go to sleep......... always with water....... electricity.........may be you think is not need this comment, but trust me you must know this information in Nepal other wise surprise!!!!! .........a beautiful garden and even if you are near the main road the noise is not there........good for a book........and why not a cool beer........... as a family I will said that is safe and children can enjoy the freedom and security.
I was send to Gopal and I meet him, believe me he will make your days in Golden Gate a lovely stay and always you will have a friend.............
I recommended as solo, family or romantic holiday.........the Gates are open my friend for Golden time..........in Pokara at Golden Gate

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank tataweena
Kathmandu
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We were four friends stayed in this hotel in June, we had very good stay. We recommend highly to this place. Best location near Lakeside in Pokhara, peaceful environment, ample of courtyard space. Best roof top view of famous Fishtail mountain and Fewa Lake is just a minute walking distance. Staffs are very friendly and always eager to serve. Soft beds, hot water, air conditioned budget class hotel is one of the best place to relax in Pokhara.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank mmatrika
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I visited Nepal for 15 days in December, 2012. First stop Kathmandu, next stop - the peaceful tranquil of a Pokhara lakeside. A friend who'd visited Nepal a couple of years back told me to get in touch with Gopal - the owner of Golden Gate. I stayed there for about 6 days in total when not on a trek, or safari.

First off - the staff were all really welcoming - attentive, kind, and patient. The room was clean, and everything worked as it should - power, tv, locks, shower. The breakfast selection was diverse and of good quality - the masala tea a must-have! The other great thing about the hotel was I didn't just feel like a member of the paying public - you're a guest. I mentioned to Gopal I was planning on going trekking, and asked which company to go with (as I wasn't sure which of the many touring companies that I'd vetted to go with) - he set me up with Hari - an exceptional man and guide, who took me across the ranges for the next 5 days. Great decision. Other notable things about the hotel - the view of the lake from the rooftop (I'll upload a picture soon). If you stay, you're also buying into Gopal's vision of a better Nepal - there is terrible poverty in Nepal, and Gopal and his associates are working hard at functional charitable enterprises for better social conditions for children in Nepal. I was also invited back to Gopal's house for a meal on my last day in Nepal (as he knew I was spending it alone, and probably needed company!). I was privileged to meet his lovely family and be made a beautiful meal by his wife. Wish I could have eaten more! Highly recommend on all accounts.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Advertureman
San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We made our first trip to Pokhara and stayed here for 10 days. It was perfect. The staff is unbelievable. They are kind, informative, and professional. But for this lovely city, it would be hard to find a more peaceful and appropriate resting place as an outsider. If you are going to Pokhara or the first time and need a place to stay in Pokhara, this should be your only choice. Golden Hotel.

Wi-fi is free and works reasonably well. Hotel keeps us supplied with tropical fruits both in rooms and the lobby. The airport pickup and drop service is efficient.
One secret of my life which I spent at golden hotel was commit to memory that I planned to stay for one or two days and want to shift to another best hotel, but when I spent one day, I don’t want to move to another place at all, my whole marriage was arranged from the same hotel from start to send. They are so kind to people and ready to help anytime.
People working managing Golden Gate are God father and god to some peoples and for the some villagers, they have done a great job through West Development trust, How hardly they have managed this trust I came to know, when I was very close with them within this 10 days.
My lots of thanks to Mr. Gopal Bhusal who has done a great job for the community from east to west of Nepal through west development trust.
Golden Gate coming back to you this winter to spent my vacation with you all.

Room Tip: All the room is fantastic but i love the roof top area of this hotel, whole pokhara you can see from...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gloomy Y
Kathmandu, Nepal
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Pokhara visit before few month was really fantastic. It wont be so without the help of Hotel Golden Gate. As the hotel is at the central location beside the fewa lake it adds more values. The hospitality which we got over there was really very nice moreover the accommodation, lunch, dinner, breakfast everything was fine. As it was the time of winter the arrangement of camp fire with music by the hotel was really really too good. I got an information that golden gate is serving poor and needy people through West Nepal Development Trust in the field of Environment,Education and Health i am really happy for that,some how there is our contribution too. Thank you all the staff and the management team of Golden Gate.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Redcar, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I have recently returned from Nepal, having visited different parts of the country. Pokhara, Lakeside is the main tourist area and has something for everyone to enjoy. There is the peace and tranquility of sitting on the roof top at Golden Gate hotel, watching the more adventurous paragliding from Sarankhot, with Fewa Lake and the snow capped Annapurna Mountains for a view. Also you can see the rowing boats and fishermen on the lake, going to the temple or across the other side where a walk uphill taking maybe an hour (unless you are very fit) takes you to the World Peace Pagoda.
I first stayed at Golden Gate hotel not long after it opened, in October 2012. I was picked up at Pokhara airport by the hotel car and taken to my room. I was particularly impressed by the lovely thick mattrasses on the beds because in Asian countries you do not usually get such quality unless you pay very high prices. The room had a fantastic view across the lake and had everything I needed in terms of furniture, bedding, towels and a good bathroom with hot water available for a shower. There are TV's in the room but in such a lovely area you are unlikely to use them.
The staff at all levels were polite, attentive and friendly without invading your space. Gopal is the main front person and he can never do enough for you. Any questions about travel and he will get onto it, he arranged another flight for me at a good price when I requested it. Balram is the man who manages the catering side and the food I have eaten in their restaurant has always been excellent; they have an extensive menu catering for all tastes and the restaurant itself is very clean and well furnished.It is also possible to sit outside and eat if you wish.For the price I paid for this room I would describe it as excellent value for money. I like the area where it is situated because it is not too far from amenities and is at the quieter part of the lake.There are regular power cuts in Nepal making a generator necessary but it is a little noisey when this is on but the alternative is to be without electricity. There are many different walks/treks to do in this area and I have enjoyed playing on the 2 golf courses in Pokhara. It is a good place for shopping and many restaurants offer whatever kind of food you desire. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to friends as a place where they can stay and be happy and comfortable whilst enjoying a stay in a very interesting and friendly country where your pound goes a long way.

Room Tip: Better views on higher floors and rooms at the front and some at the side have views of the lake and...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple